Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese Airlines Business Class - Any good?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
True dat. Or PAL’s 2-3-2. Lol.

The old J cabins on UA, the 2-4-2 you speak of, are criminally terrible, especially for what they charge.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by krispykrme
i think he is talking about the seats.
MU new J seats are actually one of the better ones. Certainly better than NH and OZ.
But I highly doubt that service and food is anywhere close to NH/Oz
I (flying in C class) find the MU service quite good, and I do not speak a word of Mandarin.

Food can be such a matter of taste, but I am not impressed by MU's.

That said, it is easily my favorite option for TPAC flights as .of now (unless somebody is going to buy me an F ticket in SQ or such)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Thanks for the review. 2-2-2 should be banished from the skies forever
The angled 2-2-2s aren't that good (full flats but angled towards the aisle or window in pairs). But on their A330s the 2-2-2 is full forward facing, wide, and super super long (like around 81 inches IIRC). No cubby holes or boxes or anything to restrict your feet. That's right up there in first class territory. My favourite seat!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The angled 2-2-2s aren't that good (full flats but angled towards the aisle or window in pairs). But on their A330s the 2-2-2 is full forward facing, wide, and super super long (like around 81 inches IIRC). No cubby holes or boxes or anything to restrict your feet. That's right up there in first class territory. My favourite seat!
That's nice. I literally pick routes and airlines based on single file J class. Give me the window seat! OZ bumped me to first class a few weeks ago. That was nice. AI did that too. Despite their mediocrity, F class was obscene luxury.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
That's nice. I literally pick routes and airlines based on single file J class. Give me the window seat! OZ bumped me to first class a few weeks ago. That was nice. AI did that too. Despite their mediocrity, F class was obscene luxury.
For Air China's 330s the best seats are in the middle so you don't have to climb out. On a couple of flights the seat beside me was empty, the crew arranged my slippers in the floor area of the empty seat and put my water bottle on the opened side table. Was almost like a mini suite (but without the privacy screens).

The crew is often really good.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:38 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
I flew XiamenAir (MF) B787-9 on AMS-XMN (KL B789 on return). Enjoyed the MF flight: reverse herringbone seats, nice food, pleasent crew. Would use them again on this route. Landing at 05:30 in XMN is handy, as it was the first flight in so arrivals was quiet and went from aircraft to taxi in no time with luggage.

Might try MU A332 next year as they’re starting from LGW-PVG and J class fares are lower than on the MU B77W LHR-PVG.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: FB Gold
I've flown 6 Long Haul sectors in CZ C class, they are fine. Flat bed seats, plenty of perfectly edible food, crew are friendly and do their best, though not all have good English language skills, service is sometimes more Chinese than generic 'Western', but it is all part of the experience.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by AJCNL
I've flown 6 Long Haul sectors in CZ C class, they are fine. Flat bed seats, plenty of perfectly edible food, crew are friendly and do their best, though not all have good English language skills, service is sometimes more Chinese than generic 'Western', but it is all part of the experience.
I have always found the complaints of less than ideal English/Western service kind of humorous.

Very likely, the pax is flying to someplace where there will be even a lower overall level of English/Western service than on a plane. I am 100% certain that I could order my food/drinks w/o a single word if need be.

People need to get used to this when traveling to Asia.
AJCNL likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I have always found the complaints of less than ideal English/Western service kind of humorous.

Very likely, the pax is flying to someplace where there will be even a lower overall level of English/Western service than on a plane. I am 100% certain that I could order my food/drinks w/o a single word if need be.

People need to get used to this when traveling to Asia.
But if the "less than ideal English/Western service" is important to people, traveling on a non-Chinese airline is a way to reduce the amount of time exposed to it.

Unless the savings are incredibly great, I would prefer to take a non-Chinese carrier, especially if I can avoid a domestic connection in China, which can be very dicey.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:14 pm

Hainan is still a 5 star airline I think. So you know what to expect there
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by noahsilv
Hainan is still a 5 star airline I think. So you know what to expect there
We still wonder how much money changed hands in order to secure that accolade.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
But if the "less than ideal English/Western service" is important to people, traveling on a non-Chinese airline is a way to reduce the amount of time exposed to it.

Unless the savings are incredibly great, I would prefer to take a non-Chinese carrier, especially if I can avoid a domestic connection in China, which can be very dicey.
Often the savings are on the order of $1000 on a RT C TPAC flight $2.5K vs $3.5K is not not uncommon. I am am not saying the service is poor, just the English might be spoke less well than other Asian airlines.

I can put up with some poor simplified English if need be for that much cash :-)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I flew CA yesterday from MEL-PVG. Granted, I have a sample size of one flight vs many I have done on UA, but here is my comparison:

Seat on the A330 was less comfortable than either the UA787 or new Polaris seats, but had significantly more room in the 2-2-2 config. The bedding was also better on UA

Food was about the same between both airlines. The appetizer on CA was really good, prawn and smoked salmon, but the main course was a bit of a letdown.

the service was significantly better on CA than any UA experience I have had. Extremely attentive throughout the whole flight
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
I flew CA yesterday from MEL-PVG. Granted, I have a sample size of one flight vs many I have done on UA, but here is my comparison:

Seat on the A330 was less comfortable than either the UA787 or new Polaris seats, but had significantly more room in the 2-2-2 config. The bedding was also better on UA

Food was about the same between both airlines. The appetizer on CA was really good, prawn and smoked salmon, but the main course was a bit of a letdown.

the service was significantly better on CA than any UA experience I have had. Extremely attentive throughout the whole flight
Thanks for the data point!

I haven't flown the new polaris seats. What I like about CA's seats on the 332 is the sheer space. At 6'3 it's what I need.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
We flew CZ CAN-YVR in biz yesterday on their 787-8. No evidence of flight crew smoking and I'm very sensitive to smoke, We were seated in the third row (row #7 ). The seats were comfortable and spacious. The service was excellent and the food was just OK. I didn't like that they asked for your 2nd meal (and beverage) choice before take off. How am I supposed to know what I'm going to want to eat 8 hours later? They did ask if you preferred not to be woken for the 2nd meal service.

The flight boarded, departed and arrived early.

The service was way better than my last biz class CZ experience seven years ago on the A380. I almost had the feeling that they were going out of their way to please me as a current Delta Diamond Medallion since CZ will leave SkyTeam this year.

My wife's wired remote was broken so she was offered an iPad-like device or the option to change seats. The IFE is very limited.

The seat map on Seat Guru is wrong for the aircraft we were on. There was no 1st class. There were only three rows of biz class (numbered 5 through 7) in a 2-2-2 configuration. If a solo flyer, I would not suggest a window seat as you have to jump over your seatmate (unlike the KE 777) to get out.

Even the description of cabin layout on the CZ website didn't match our aircraft:

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.