FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Chinese Airlines Business Class - Any good? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1947066-chinese-airlines-business-class-any-good.html)

AsiaTravel2019 Dec 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Chinese Airlines Business Class - Any good?

I am looking to book a personal trip to Asia this year and while I prefer ANA and Asiana for J, I am tempted by the Chinese airlines super-cheap business class.

I've searched and read the horror stories. Anyone have any recent experience? The YouTube reviews seem decent. I've read about the crew smoking, the bad food, the lack of customer service, etc.

Is there any one that's better than the other? I am open to joy-riding any of them. (China Eastern, China Southern, Air China.)

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, still learning the ropes.

lcpteck Dec 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Well, take a gamble.

Everybody's preference and opinions are different. I think it's a good experience in itself to try out of your comfort zone.

I mean, that's why we travel right?

TPJ Dec 22, 2018 5:29 am

I can give you some feedback about CA, I fly with 2-3 times a year (mostly EU-AU/NZ).

- Seats are fully flat - vary by aircraft type (Boeing fleet - same as sCO on B787's, Airbus fleet - same as TK or LO, new A350's same as AC)
- Food is surprisingly good (I normally have Chinese dinner and Western breakfast)
- Service is consistently good, F/A's are nice and polite - always
- International flights are mostly on time, domestic are late (not CA issue - Chinese military 'owns' 80% of air space, very little left for civil aviation)
- IFE improved a lot, but still a bit mediocre
- PEK Lounge is average and crowded, PVG is better (and based on your UA departure airport you might be able to use UA Polaris lounge on your outbound)
- Transit in PEK is bad - long, slow moving lines

Certainly not a bad alternative, IMHO better than UA.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 30563332)
I am looking to book a personal trip to Asia this year and while I prefer ANA and Asiana for J, I am tempted by the Chinese airlines super-cheap business class.

I've searched and read the horror stories. Anyone have any recent experience? The YouTube reviews seem decent. I've read about the crew smoking, the bad food, the lack of customer service, etc.

Is there any one that's better than the other? I am open to joy-riding any of them. (China Eastern, China Southern, Air China.)

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, still learning the ropes.

They're all pretty much full flat beds these days. What else do you want? :) (You might not get the 'experience' of Singapore Airlines, but the money saved will buy you a case of vintage champagne, a flat screen TV, a couple of dinners at a top restaurant and a couple nights at a five star hotel!)

But as TPJ says - it's actually not that bad. The crew are usually pretty good. The food is ok (no worse than US carriers, but probably not up to Japanese or top tier Asian carriers such as Singapore, Cathay or Thai), the champagne is usually cold. The drinks are pretty stiff.

Air China's IFE seems to have deteriorated recently - propably the worst IFE I've had in a long time. But ANA's is also atrociously bad.

Smoking? Some people have experienced it. Personally I haven't in many flights. And if you're going to be spending any time in China the smoke on board is probably the least of the problems.

AsiaTravel2019 Dec 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks TPJ and LHR. I will give it a go and report back how it is!

mymflyer Dec 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Fly Air China

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 30564079)
I can give you some feedback about CA, I fly with 2-3 times a year (mostly EU-AU/NZ).

- Seats are fully flat - vary by aircraft type (Boeing fleet - same as sCO on B787's, Airbus fleet - same as TK or LO, new A350's same as AC)
- Food is surprisingly good (I normally have Chinese dinner and Western breakfast)
- Service is consistently good, F/A's are nice and polite - always
- International flights are mostly on time, domestic are late (not CA issue - Chinese military 'owns' 80% of air space, very little left for civil aviation)
- IFE improved a lot, but still a bit mediocre
- PEK Lounge is average and crowded, PVG is better (and based on your UA departure airport you might be able to use UA Polaris lounge on your outbound)
- Transit in PEK is bad - long, slow moving lines

Certainly not a bad alternative, IMHO better than UA.

Fly Air China, that is a much better improved airline.

moondog Dec 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mymflyer (Post 30566151)
Fly Air China, that is a much better improved airline.

MU is actually better on routes that use newer planes imo.

coolfish1103 Dec 23, 2018 3:43 am

Comparing to the Japanese is like over a hurdle, but the price is significantly lower. It's better than your fellow US based airlines. At least you get what you paid for. Fares being dirt cheap in the $1-2 thousands range should be fine if you don't mind the traffic at PEK or PVG. Leave ample time for your connections.

plunet Dec 23, 2018 4:34 am

The other little quirk with Chinese Airlines / Airports is their approach to Power Banks or Battery packs. When you go through transit security batteries over 10000mAh are typically not allowed in the cabin or hand luggage, and have to be checked in. But of course this goes against operating practice of may other parts of the world where power banks abd batteries are not permitted in check-in baggage. There is usually a healthy collection of larger power banks or those with no capacity marked on them at Chinese airport transit security.

At least the Chinese Airline Regulator has in the past 12 months done away with the silly rule of not being able to use mobile phone on a Chinese aircraft (even in Aircraft mode). That one was bonkers, as tablets were permitted...

travelinmanS Dec 23, 2018 7:01 am

China Eastern is better than Asiana or JAL/ANA seat wise when it comes to biz class IMHO. They also offer free WiFi the whole flight which is really unusual. MU is the best longhaul airline in East Asia now based on my experience. Don’t believe the horror stories and save some cash! Book MU!

AsiaTravel2019 Dec 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30567046)
China Eastern is better than Asiana or JAL/ANA seat wise when it comes to biz class IMHO. They also offer free WiFi the whole flight which is really unusual. MU is the best longhaul airline in East Asia now based on my experience. Don’t believe the horror stories and save some cash! Book MU!

Better than Asiana? Wow! The one thing I would miss from Asiana is they always upgrade me to First Class based on my *A status.

Now free Wifi, that is something. Do they keep the cabin too warm like all the other Asian airlines?

krispykrme Dec 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 30567844)
Better than Asiana? Wow! The one thing I would miss from Asiana is they always upgrade me to First Class based on my *A status.

Now free Wifi, that is something. Do they keep the cabin too warm like all the other Asian airlines?

i think he is talking about the seats.

MU new J seats are actually one of the better ones. Certainly better than NH and OZ.

But I highly doubt that service and food is anywhere close to NH/Oz

swgsword Dec 25, 2018 9:55 am

Just flew CA in J for the first time PEK-IAD. Would have to say that it was among my best experiences in J ever and would say food & service were better than OZ NH and on par with CX. That being said, I do speak Chinese and their service seems much more personal and attentive when FA's speak Chinese as opposed to English.

No Wifi on most of the CA fleet, however, and their seat configs in J are 2-2-2 except for the new A350s.

AsiaTravel2019 Dec 25, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by swgsword (Post 30572702)
Jand their seat configs in J are 2-2-2 except for the new A350s.

Thanks for the review. 2-2-2 should be banished from the skies forever

swgsword Dec 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 30572712)
Thanks for the review. 2-2-2 should be banished from the skies forever

Still better than United's 2-4-2's lol.