Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philippine Airline Mabuhay Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Philippine Airline Mabuhay Lounge Access

I will be flying from Manila Airport T2 to Incheon, but I couldn't get a business class ticket.
However I really want to gain access to the Mabuhay Lounge. Is there any other way to do so?
Old May 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Plat
Unless you have Elite status with Mabuhay Miles, the only way to get in is a) be guested by someone with premier elite or million miler status b) hold a PNB platinum mabuhay miles card c) have strong "connections" with the right people within PAL to get you in or d) bid/pay for a business class upgrade
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:55 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by eescorpius
I will be flying from Manila Airport T2 to Incheon, but I couldn't get a business class ticket.
However I really want to gain access to the Mabuhay Lounge. Is there any other way to do so?
What date is your flight? All PAL international flights are moving to MNL T1 after August 31 - there's a PriorityPass or lounge access with paid day pass at T1...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I am yet to use a Mabuhay Lounge - but will be using soon at MNL. I have been looking on line and its not at all clear and if anyone can help with info that would be appreciated.

1) are there separate domestic and international lounges in Terminal 2 Manila (will be taking early morning domestic and late evening international flights from NAIA)
2) I've seen mentions that you need to get a voucher on check in to enter - is that true or old info?
3) shower facilities are poor (esp think for international leg)?

Also has the Puerto Princesa lounge opened - accoring to PAL website it was first quarter of 2018

thanks
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
I am yet to use a Mabuhay Lounge - but will be using soon at MNL. I have been looking on line and its not at all clear and if anyone can help with info that would be appreciated.

1) are there separate domestic and international lounges in Terminal 2 Manila (will be taking early morning domestic and late evening international flights from NAIA)
2) I've seen mentions that you need to get a voucher on check in to enter - is that true or old info?
3) shower facilities are poor (esp think for international leg)?

Also has the Puerto Princesa lounge opened - accoring to PAL website it was first quarter of 2018

thanks
1. Yes there are separate lounges for domestic and international
2. They sometimes give a voucher, sometimes they don't; either way a business class boarding pass has always been enough to gain me entry
3. never used the shower so can't say

There was some news of a bigger international mabuhay lounge in T2 due Q2 this year, but haven't heard anything since January about it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
thanks - thought there would nee to be 2 lounges, but info is scacre online
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
The real question is WHY? The Mabuhay lounge is a filthy hole. The food is bacteria infested luke warm, the carpets are disgusting and the furniture looks like it was donated by the Salvation Army. Within this atmosphere are many many flyers who hoard or take every bit of food not nailed down.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by davistev
The real question is WHY? The Mabuhay lounge is a filthy hole. The food is bacteria infested luke warm, the carpets are disgusting and the furniture looks like it was donated by the Salvation Army. Within this atmosphere are many many flyers who hoard or take every bit of food not nailed down.
While I have to agree with this one (the domestic MNL lounge is actually MUCH worse than the international one, but not by much), it still beats sitting in the general boarding gate area.

Now, regarding the August T1 transfer, the DOTr has mentioned that there is no firm timeline. Aside from the US and some ME flights, the bulk of PR still would depart from dingy and cramped T2.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:21 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by davistev
Um not sure what lounge you are talking about. The lounge was renovated 2-3y ago, incl. the carpets, and is quite nice. The food area has tile floors. The furniture is better than in most US lounges - and so is the food!
Its not SQ's The Private Room, but not remotely as bad as you make it sound.
The showers are small but clean.
I heard about the expansion as well, but haven't seen anything. And no changes to the dreadful T1 lounges (now, those would justify your description - they are all well past the end of their aesthetic lifecycle....
The August date was published by Airport Authority, InfoGraphic and all. (Check it here).. but I wouldn't make any bets on them making the date...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Question Unanswered Issues

I'm on the fence about the lounge being "quite nice" and "filthy hole". I frequent the domestic J lounge and the last time I was in the international counterpart was 2016 (yes, I try to avoid using PR for international flights as going through immigration in the small T2 on the MNL leg is a pain in the behind). The lounge basically is a far cry from the CX lounge in T3 but definitely better than the (renovated) general transit area. The arroz caldo is still a go-to dish (also available at Pacific Club T3 for those with access sans the salted egg garnish) but the rest of the food is meh.

Regarding the transfer, it is all up in the air as stated in this April 2018 news article (https://www.rappler.com/business/199...lines-proposal). One can surmise from the wordings that there is yet no solid plan as transferring airline operations is not as simple as dumping everything into a U-Haul and heading out. I think the proposal is quite sound, but can be a logistical nightmare, especially for 5J as some PR flights (US and ME) already use T1.

The government may also need to consider that the 3 alliances (Skyteam, OW and Star Alliance) have representations in both T1 and T3. CX and SQ have invested heavily in the construction of their lounges but they are already crowded as it is during peak hour. DL outsources the Pacific Club and that lounge is even smaller. That kind of move will make KF and MPC J and elites rather unhappy if the already crowded lounge scene worsens.

As they say in Filipino - "abangan" (let's wait).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:45 pm

Hi, does anyone if the lounge Puerto Princesa is opened yet?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:00 pm

OK, will answer my own question :-) PPS lounge is open, very new, very clean - limited food and drinks, but enough for a snack. One toilet, not shower.
SPN Lifer and therossinator like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:08 pm

Manila Lounge Terminal 2 (international) - I don't feel it's a filthy hole, but it is very rundown and not beftitting of a 4* airline. The food was limited (the hot dish was bangus (fish) and rice) - I had a hot dog instead out in the terminal proper. One of the things I can't get my head around in the Philippines is their handling of food, it's left to sit around, often lukewarm to cold. To me some of the dishes were not appealing, but my Philippine partner was happy enough. There were a few other snacks and good selection of fruit. Shower area run down, but clean enough. Comfy seats and relatively quiet. Good wifi!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Aug 28, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=jeffrocowboy;30136990]Manila Lounge Terminal 2 (international) - I don't feel it's a filthy hole, but it is very rundown and not beftitting of a 4* airline. The food was limited (the hot dish was bangus (fish) and rice) - I had a hot dog instead out in the terminal proper. One of the things I can get my head around in the Philippines is there handling of food, its left to sit around, often lukewarm to cold./QUOTE]

I would imagine that being 4 stars is more of a paid marketing initiative to Skytrax if anything

Also, food left out like so is quite common and widespread around South East Asia for some reasons. It isn't very appealing, though some people just like the fact of having unlimited access to 'free' food.

I've always had the theory that they keep it lukewarm to prevent people from eating too much
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Lightbulb Timeless advice

Originally Posted by syntraveller89
Unless you have Elite status with Mabuhay Miles, the only way to get in is a) be guested by someone with premier elite or million miler status b) hold a PNB platinum mabuhay miles card c) have strong "connections" with the right people within PAL to get you in or d) bid/pay for a business class upgrade
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.