Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is Fiji Airways?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

How bad is Fiji Airways?

Ok, loaded question to start I guess... FJ will start flying SFO-NAN in June, with connections to AKL and other cities, it becomes a viable option for getting to and from New Zealand. For my particular dates of interest, flying FJ would save US$500-750/pax across our family of 4 (so $2-3k total). While I'm sure flying NZ or UA would be better (esp as I'm 1k on UA), the $ matters unless the airline is unreliable.

I can't find much in the way of reviews on FT for them. Seems all discussions are about booking awards in J, or getting a mileage run deal.

My main concern is whether the flights actually depart/arrive relatively on time (i.e. they're not cancelled or delayed by days).

Anyone with experience with them? Maybe regular/experienced Fiji Airways fliers can shed some light?

Thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 6:05 pm

Flew them once SYD-NAN-LAX. Flights were fine, essentially on time from what I can recall. Kind of reminded me of Hawaiian Air actually: Pretty much normal service with a bit of an island flair.

NAN wasn't very impressive, the main waiting area didn't have air conditioning so it was warm and humid. I was able to access the Fiji Airways lounge with Priority Pass and that was more pleasant.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Have flown them a lot between BNE-NAN, NAN-AKL and once LAX-NAN. About 15 flights in total.
Only one long delay of 8hrs due to a bird strike on the inbound aircraft.
NAN airport is undergoing major renovation and is a schomozzle but if you have lounge access is not too bad.

Often there are specials that can allow you stopovers in Fiji without any extra charge for the flight (no free hotels though). This is a good way to break up with flights but if you are considering this make sure you book the night before as all flights from US land about 5am and most hotels are based on the Australian notion of 2pm checkin. They will try but you cannot count on an early arrival (even with status).
Old May 27, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
Have flown them a lot between BNE-NAN, NAN-AKL and once LAX-NAN. About 15 flights in total.
Only one long delay of 8hrs due to a bird strike on the inbound aircraft.
NAN airport is undergoing major renovation and is a schomozzle but if you have lounge access is not too bad.

Often there are specials that can allow you stopovers in Fiji without any extra charge for the flight (no free hotels though). This is a good way to break up with flights but if you are considering this make sure you book the night before as all flights from US land about 5am and most hotels are based on the Australian notion of 2pm checkin. They will try but you cannot count on an early arrival (even with status).
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Flew them once SYD-NAN-LAX. Flights were fine, essentially on time from what I can recall. Kind of reminded me of Hawaiian Air actually: Pretty much normal service with a bit of an island flair.

NAN wasn't very impressive, the main waiting area didn't have air conditioning so it was warm and humid. I was able to access the Fiji Airways lounge with Priority Pass and that was more pleasant.
Thanks for the feedback. I now feel confident to go through with them. Our NAN layover is just under 5hrs on the outbound. We will do a 3-night stopover in Fiji on the return. Our routing is

SFO-NAN-AKL

CHC-NAN

NAN-SFO

Is it better to buy direct online or through an agent? I'm looking at restricted economy.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: asia miles
flew HKG-NAN-CXI-NAN-HKG with them. They are neither better nor worse than most airlines. Flights were all on time. I would not worry about flying Fiji airways
Old May 28, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by 49er
Thanks for the feedback. I now feel confident to go through with them. Our NAN layover is just under 5hrs on the outbound. We will do a 3-night stopover in Fiji on the return. Our routing is

SFO-NAN-AKL

CHC-NAN

NAN-SFO

Is it better to buy direct online or through an agent? I'm looking at restricted economy.
The majority of my flights were booked through a corporate TA, so I cannot really comment on that.
The one time I booked personally was direct on their website and it was easy.

Coming from CHC you should land at a reasonable time so disregard my early arrival advice BUT on the flip side your flight to the US will not leave until 10pm so you might want to think about booking an extra night so you can remain until you leave for the airport.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:45 am

I have flown them domestically within Fiji. Very no nonsense service and certainly better than most LCCs. They have year round low fares ex-NZ to LAX/NAN. I wouldn't think twice about booking said flights if they were the right price.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Fijji isn't bad at all, especially if you plan on flying economy. They use new A330s with 18" wide seats, 32 inches of legroom and more recline than you'd find on UA. There's also AVOD IFE with a decent selection of content and USB power to charge your personal devices.
All flights I've ever taken with them were uneventful and on time.
Definitely worth a recommendation.

I've only ever stayed at Accor properties in Nadi during stopovers. Both the Novotel and the Mercure honored the early check-in/late check-out benefit of LeCLub Accor status without any issues. I did email in advance, though.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm a J flyer with them. Absolutely acceptable airline. If saving was important I'd be happy to fly with them on a family holiday in Y.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by 49er
If the website is comparable in prices, always book direct. When I flew them though, it was notably cheaper to book via Priceline (regular booking, not name-your-own-price). The only glitch I encountered was that I had to contact Alaska Airlines after the fact to get Mileage Plan credit; the points didn't appear automatically even though I called FJ to add my Mileage Plan number before the trip.
trooper likes this.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Why would you think bad? They are certainly much better with an updated fleet of A330's versus the old leased-in 747's. Fijians are well known for their friendliness and hospitality. If the price is right -- book with confidence!

J/C is certainly not up to the level of NZ/SQ and others, but certainly a very comfortable and best way of traveling to NAN non-stop.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Just over 2 years ago, Fiji had to take one of their A330s out of service due to a collision on the ground in LAX (not their fault). This really screwed up their schedule for weeks, and gave people a fairly bad experience of the airline.

Even back then NAN airport was under construction - which didn't help things either!

When they don't have to deal with such problems, they're a good, and cheap, choice for getting to NZ and Australia
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So far, I have been unimpressed. Fiji Airways canceled one of my flights a week in advance and rebooked me to leave a day later. Now the airline won't even provide assistance with hotels! Does anyone know the airline's policy or have a way to escalate the refund of a hotel night? Why should I have to shell out for another night in a hotel when the airline canceled its own flight. Problem is that I used credit card points for the flight so can't really do a chargeback if I were to buy a new ticket elsewhere (airline won't cancel because they are still providing a flight).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
The majority of my flights were booked through a corporate TA, so I cannot really comment on that.
The one time I booked personally was direct on their website and it was easy.

Coming from CHC you should land at a reasonable time so disregard my early arrival advice BUT on the flip side your flight to the US will not leave until 10pm so you might want to think about booking an extra night so you can remain until you leave for the airport.
flown Fiji Air twice a year for past 12. With their brand new long haul fleet, they are now one of the best airlines across the pacific. Much better than Air NZ or Qantas but that wouldn't be hard.

Also, we always book through a travel agent. They always give us better prices than online & are able to split payments, that's part cash, part card.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So far, I have been unimpressed. Fiji Airways canceled one of my flights a week in advance and rebooked me to leave a day later. Now the airline won't even provide assistance with hotels! Does anyone know the airline's policy or have a way to escalate the refund of a hotel night? Why should I have to shell out for another night in a hotel when the airline canceled its own flight. Problem is that I used credit card points for the flight so can't really do a chargeback if I were to buy a new ticket elsewhere (airline won't cancel because they are still providing a flight).
It's a small airline with a small fleet after all...

A single irrop or something of the kind will have a domino effect.

Try calling them and be persistent to get booked on another airline on the original date of departure! They have codeshares with Qantas, but not sure if they'd agree. Do try though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.