Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

90% off GarudaMiles redemption all routes [promo has ended]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

90% off GarudaMiles redemption all routes [promo has ended]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Interesting. And rather ingenious when you think of it. Create a lot of buzz about Garuda with minimal risk especially when the only route with award seats seems to be AMS. The number of people that will actually put up with the crazy impediments to get a ticket is going to be miniscule.

In the case of airlines, creating buzz, unlike publicity for celebrities, is not in and of itself the end game.

This promotion, while fantastically generous for some, unflatteringly and unquestionably reveals GA's inferiority with respect to its FFP, ticketing restrictions, back end tech, and outdated website.

GA may have stupendous offerings once ticketed and in the air, but if you want to be a "world-class" airline, that process starts with a customer's first interaction, not just at check-in.

I've flown the majority of first class offerings, as you have, and execution of this promotion is a poor showing for GA, who has regularly acknowledged it wants to become more of a contender on the world stage and not just a regional player.

Hopefully this promotion, and the buzz it has generated, spurs positive change at GA so they can do just that. Today is just not that day.

Last edited by thexfactor; Dec 23, 2016 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:26 am

everything seems to be sold out now. So if anyone is going to cancel, please inform first :-)
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
I managed to get three AMS-CGK-SIN-AMS reservations on hold for 7 days. I called as soon as their office opened (9am SGT) and they are aware (albeit sounding very annoyed) of the 90% off. I couldn't find suitable business availability on weekends to SIN so I ended up with Y one-way to SIN via CGK and J on SIN-AMS.

Hopefully this info will be of some help to some people:

Call centers:
  • Jakarta -- Gave up.
  • New York -- No information.
  • Sydney -- Forwarded me an award form to fill out and submit at their office.
  • KL -- They can take book awards over the phone. Was told that payment and issuance can happen at any sales office, but ticket holds will only last 48 hours.
  • Singapore -- Will hold for 7 days. You have to go in person to pay and issue the ticket with ID, but as reported in various sources, you can buy miles priced from the IDR exchange rate (~$30 SGD, which makes this cheaper than buying and converting TY points outright) in person at their office. Closed Monday 12/26.

Being NYC-based, I don't see value in Y awards once you factor positioning costs. For those who have snagged R, kudos to you. But for those in SIN (or will be in SIN), the GA office SIN seems to be the most straightforward of all the experiences reported. I'll also note that the SG agent said that a third-party could come in with copies of your ID and documentation to pay and issue the ticket (didn't ask for details as I'm headed to SIN myself tomorrow).

Now I just have the next two days to decide if I want to ticket any of the holds...

Does anyone know if ExpertFlyer shows R availability? None of the agents I spoke to could see any R inventory on LHR/AMS-CGK v.v. or on the non-stops to SIN. (And website availability appeared to be inconsistent with what the call center agents could see).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Tickets held only last 4-5 days according to the phone agent. My held ticket shows it will expire on 27 December 2016 if not ticketed by then.

You can check your held ticket details by going to the link in the bottom of your reservation email.

https://www.checkmytrip.com/CMTServlet?R= your 6 digit reservation code &L=US&N= Last Name

Example if your reservation code is ABC123 and last name is George (https://www.checkmytrip.com/CMTServl...&L=US&N=George)
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Tickets held only last 4-5 days according to the phone agent. My held ticket shows it will expire on 27 December 2016 if not ticketed by then.

You can check your held ticket details by going to the link in the bottom of your reservation email.

https://www.checkmytrip.com/CMTServlet?R= your 6 digit reservation code &L=US&N= Last Name

Example if your reservation code is ABC123 and last name is George (https://www.checkmytrip.com/CMTServl...&L=US&N=George)
My reservation says confirmed with no end date?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:22 am

Did anyone manage to ticket remotely?
And has anyone visited the office in Amsterdam airport?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:45 am

Has anyone yet called/visited the London or Amsterdam offices and enquiries about buying miles there? I am prepared to position to either of those to do this but only if there is a decent chance of success.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sebz4n
Did anyone manage to ticket remotely?
And has anyone visited the office in Amsterdam airport?
I plan to do this next Tuesday, but the agent this morning when I called seemed to suggest I will be able to do it over the phone once the miles are in my account (still waiting on Citi).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold; PC Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
Finally got through to the call center, and asked for several dates (showing award availability) on the website. They keep telling me there's no award space. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by jb831; Dec 23, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:48 pm

Yes, all sold out
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
I finally got through to Jakarta call center and they said the promo ended early morning hours Indonesia time on 24 December. There goes all my hard work on my spreadsheet...
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthewsoft
I finally got through to Jakarta call center and they said the promo ended early morning hours Indonesia time on 24 December. There goes all my hard work on my spreadsheet...
is it? I'll try to call them to make sure.

update:
apparently they closed the promo 24 December 2016 - 00.00 (GMT +7)
seems like their seat allocation quota for this promo has been sold out and the miles required will be normal again.
they said deadline on GarudaMiles page will be updated accordingly.

I forgot to ask about reservation that being hold though, I hope it can still be ticketed at promo rate.

congratulations for you guys who able to ticket. hard luck for who don't.
may they will evaluate GarudaMiles FFP, hoping for more realistic redemption chart and more generous miles earning.

Last edited by blueferrari; Dec 23, 2016 at 5:27 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by oneworld82
My reservation says confirmed with no end date?
Only shows up on the mobile site. Desktop site doesn't show ticket by date. Here's mine:
Attached Images  
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Only shows up on the mobile site. Desktop site doesn't show ticket by date. Here's mine:
mine doesn't show a date. I sure hope my citibank transfer will hit in the next couple of days and they will ticket at the promo rate.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Not surprised it ended already. I hope a lot of people won't have miles transferred to GA that will end up orphaned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.