Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK to TPE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Open skies is between Taiwan and USA, not any random airlines from third country. Now, if EK can move its home base to TPE then it might work.
Is that still the case? I thought SCOOT took advantage of TW-Japan Open Skies to continue its TAipei service to/from Japan?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by tommy525
Is that still the case? I thought SCOOT took advantage of TW-Japan Open Skies to continue its TAipei service to/from Japan?
SCOOT is based in Singapore. Singapore has fifth freedom rights between Japan and Taiwan.

Emirates is based in UAE. UAE needs to have the fifth freedom rights between Taiwan and USA in order to carry passengers from TPE to any US airport. I am not sure if UAE has such rights. If it does, it would be great to give BR and CI some competition.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommy525
This has nothing to do with Taiwan-Japan Open Skies.

As posted by sfo3388, Singapore has Fifth Freedom for Taiwan-Japan which pre-dates Taiwan-Japan Open Skies. SQ served TPE-NRT and TPE-KIX in late 90s until a few years ago.

Not directly related, but SQ also has trouble gaining Fifth Freedom for MXP-JFK even though USA-EU has Open Skies. Open Skies applies to airlines registered in treaty countries, USA and EU in this case, only.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 4, 2013 at 6:00 am
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Singapore, Malaysia, and Brunei are the only countries with 5th freedom between Taiwan and US. Hong Kong used to have it as well but I don't think CX ever used it, and it may have been revoked after 1997 with various changes that took place with US-HK and HK-Taiwan bilateral air agreements.

EK offering US service from TPE doesn't fit with their business model and I doubt they are all that interested. They focus on 1-stop connection at Dubai. There are very few 2-stop routes in their system and they are all regional tag-on flights (e.g. Australia to New Zealand). I can't imagine EK want to start transcontinental tag-on flights. And if they do, it certainly won't start with TPE.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: CX, le club accorhotels platinum
So, for all the talk that CI/BR are far behind EK in every way... is EK going to have their own lounge in TPE? Is anyone worried? Why aren't we worried about this?

It's great that EK is finally here... I hope they can teach those carriers who advertise a lot in Taipei but don't even care to fly into TPE (TK,VS,AY) a lesson. ^
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold, IHG Gold
ITA Matrix states 52000NT$ TPE-DXB-FRA return in Y. I guess that might be even a savers fare...currently I fly HX to HKG and then EK to FRA and return the same for 49K flex incl. the HX fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.