Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Looking for advice on how to manage / access a Starlux booking.

Booking made with Alaska Miles. Have both an Alaska and Starlux PNR.

Tried the both on the Starlux website (as well as ticket number) and not able to access my reservation to select seats etc.
Any advice? Call in? Are they responsive at all via Facebook?
For Starlux, you must call to select seats for bookings made through Alaska.
Rumples likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miamidice
Then you're fine. With China Airlines, you can upgrade a round trip from premium economy standard to business for 70,000 points.

Direct flights in Premium Economy Standard from LAX to TPE are around 2,000 USD for a round trip.

So for $4000 USD and 140,000 SkyTeam points both your parents can fly business each way between LAX and TPE.

China Airlines business class is very comfortable. Just make sure there is upgrade availability first on the dates you select.
I'm trying to do the same for my folks around the same time frame. I'm a bit puzzled by the above advice and would love a bit more help.
If I buy a Premium Economy ticket directly with CI, how do I upgrade with miles other than in CI's program? Or am I misinterpreting this? I have miles will a few SkyTeam airlines (AF/KL, DL) but not with CI and they aren't a transfer partner for any of the credit card points.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm trying to do the same for my folks around the same time frame. I'm a bit puzzled by the above advice and would love a bit more help.
If I buy a Premium Economy ticket directly with CI, how do I upgrade with miles other than in CI's program? Or am I misinterpreting this? I have miles will a few SkyTeam airlines (AF/KL, DL) but not with CI and they aren't a transfer partner for any of the credit card points.
You can only upgrade with miles from China Airlines.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, GarudaMiles
Hi I have first flight from CX408 (HKG-TPE), then followed by JX800 (TPE-NRT) on the same day. Since it's different airlines, is that possible to request on the transfer desk area so the baggage will be out at Narita instead in Taipei?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:37 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by richiealexander
Hi I have first flight from CX408 (HKG-TPE), then followed by JX800 (TPE-NRT) on the same day. Since it's different airlines, is that possible to request on the transfer desk area so the baggage will be out at Narita instead in Taipei?
If you are on one ticket/résa, then it would be tagged to your final destination anyway.

If you are on two separate itineraries, not a chance because your bag would be already be offloaded for delivery at TPE.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:31 am
Original Poster

It depends on if the CX agent in HKG is willing to tag to NRT for you. You can ask nicely. If not, then ask the JX transfer desk at TPE and see if they can pull it out for you rather than having you go pick it up.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
If CX has an interline agreement with JX, they will check it all the way through for you. Suggest you call CX to see if they do, this would be much safer.

cathay-pacific-separate-ticket-through-check-in-policy

If CX does not have an interline agreement with JX be prepared to clear immigration at TPE if you arrive at the transfer desk and JX says they cannot retrieve your luggage for you.

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
It depends on if the CX agent in HKG is willing to tag to NRT for you. You can ask nicely. If not, then ask the JX transfer desk at TPE and see if they can pull it out for you rather than having you go pick it up.
Hopefully, fingers crossed, not agent dependent as I linked above. CX surprisingly relaxed their restrictions 5-6 years ago. And I believe it was a CX decision, not driven by oneworld, to boot!
Old Feb 9, 2024, 2:58 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Looking for advice on how to manage / access a Starlux booking.

Booking made with Alaska Miles. Have both an Alaska and Starlux PNR.

Tried the both on the Starlux website (as well as ticket number) and not able to access my reservation to select seats etc.
Any advice? Call in? Are they responsive at all via Facebook?
Unable to Select My Seat on STARLUX - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:11 am
Original Poster

As of March 30, 2024:

Updated China Airlines (as of current). Mandarin information all included.

Added Starlux Airlines (as of current).

Any errors let me know. Tigerair Taiwan may be updated but it doesn't really have a FFP available.

* Do note information may be out of date as time goes by. Always visit each airlines' website for the most up-to-date source.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:28 pm

Anyone know if i can combine an award flight and cash ticket on China Airlines onto same PNR? Want to make an award booking via Virgin Atlantic for CI from YVR to TPE on points but onwards to Vietnam there are no award seats. Concern isnt about luggage but want the ticket from TPE- vietnam when u check in at YVR. Or possible to check in for both legs with separate PNR and get tickets at YVR?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc234
Anyone know if i can combine an award flight and cash ticket on China Airlines onto same PNR? Want to make an award booking via Virgin Atlantic for CI from YVR to TPE on points but onwards to Vietnam there are no award seats. Concern isnt about luggage but want the ticket from TPE- vietnam when u check in at YVR. Or possible to check in for both legs with separate PNR and get tickets at YVR?
No you cannot combine.

You can ask the agent at YVR to tag the bags all the way by giving the agent the record locator (but they may refuse to check all the way for you).

You can check in online 48 hours prior to your flight to Vietnam and get your boarding pass on phone, but you cannot check in the Vietnam flight at YVR.
sxc234 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:49 am

Oh good point - yes you're right i recall i can check in online with CI and get a boarding pass on my mobile phone. The situation i'm in is with my family and there are 2 award seats on CI all the way through from YVR - Vietnam but plenty of award seats from YVR-TPE so will just book the 2 on award and myself just to TPE and purchase the CI leg from TPE-Vietnam. Wanted to avoid going through customs when i land in TPE only to depart on the same day and luggage i will tag through with the other PAX so i think this should work? thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sxc234
Oh good point - yes you're right i recall i can check in online with CI and get a boarding pass on my mobile phone. The situation i'm in is with my family and there are 2 award seats on CI all the way through from YVR - Vietnam but plenty of award seats from YVR-TPE so will just book the 2 on award and myself just to TPE and purchase the CI leg from TPE-Vietnam. Wanted to avoid going through customs when i land in TPE only to depart on the same day and luggage i will tag through with the other PAX so i think this should work? thanks.
You should be able to do online check in on your phone after you land at TPE, or get your boarding pass at the transfer desk. Either way, you don't need to clear immigration and custom. Just head to the transit security area with the rest of your party once you have a boarding pass.

Just make sure they tag all the luggage to the other people in your party that are ticketed all the way thru to Vietnam. The other tricky part is if your passport does not allow visa free entry to Taiwan, you may need to show your second ticket at check in at YVR. It may take longer as the airline has to verify you have the intention and means to travel onward or enter Taiwan legally.
sxc234 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 10:14 am
Original Poster

CI/SFO lounge currently under renovation (since 03APR24). Passengers are directed next door to the Air France lounge for the time being.

I am quite surprised that CI did not just close this lounge and use another partner's lounge (like AF and VS). CI has shut down many of it's self operated lounge the past 10-15 years. Places such as HKG never got the self operated lounge back even after Skyteam shut the alliance lounge down. The only self operated lounges outside of Taiwan is the Bangkok and Tokyo lounge. Bangkok is the only lounge that does not have an exclusive area.

This lounge is open in the morning and afternoon to non-CI passengers and PP members. However, PP members are sent away around 7pm to accommodate CI passengers that will start to arrive around 9 to 10pm. Business passengers that CI/SFO has partnership with will get to use the Emerald/Paragon exclusive lounge while PP members use the regular area. At times when CI flights are operating, there will be some special servings such as beef stew noodles.

Wonder what kind of renovation will be done...
Old Apr 20, 2024, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
CI/SFO lounge currently under renovation (since 03APR24). Passengers are directed next door to the Air France lounge for the time being.

I am quite surprised that CI did not just close this lounge and use another partner's lounge (like AF and VS). CI has shut down many of it's self operated lounge the past 10-15 years. Places such as HKG never got the self operated lounge back even after Skyteam shut the alliance lounge down. The only self operated lounges outside of Taiwan is the Bangkok and Tokyo lounge. Bangkok is the only lounge that does not have an exclusive area.

This lounge is open in the morning and afternoon to non-CI passengers and PP members. However, PP members are sent away around 7pm to accommodate CI passengers that will start to arrive around 9 to 10pm. Business passengers that CI/SFO has partnership with will get to use the Emerald/Paragon exclusive lounge while PP members use the regular area. At times when CI flights are operating, there will be some special servings such as beef stew noodles.

Wonder what kind of renovation will be done...
I wonder how extensive the renovation would be. There's that whole bar area that isn't really being used as a bar, but it's not like getting rid of it would free up much space unless they reconfigured the rest of the lounge, and the current exclusive space is pretty tiny anyway.

If AF hadn't just remodeled their lounge, I almost wonder if combining that, the Golden Gate Lounge, and the VS clubhouse could've worked for a combined Skyteam lounge. Those are vertically right atop each other, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.