Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
"Cheap" seems understandable at least since airlines don't exactly seem to be raking it in at the moment.
Well both national airlines of Taiwan are certainly raking it in given they are only selling full fare Y in coach, and their business fares are out to lunch - plus no upgrades using miles. They certainly figured out how to goose everyone who needs to fly to/from Taiwan.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Airlines may be charging a huge amount because they are providing a service (and trying to keep people employed during these tough times) for a very small number of people traveling. I heard international flight loading's are consistently under 10 percent. These are not normal times. I think best way to think about it is during these abnormal times we have regressed in economics of flying back to the early 1960's or even late 1950's where flying was much more expensive. I don't think there is anything to complain about because you have options if you want to use Eva air. Luckily for China airlines their cargo division is making money and allowing the airline to keep all their staff employed for the medium term. I think they may be in a great position compared to other airlines as they have started reducing staff numbers (Qantas just sacked 6000 and by the way has zero international flights currently).
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
On Aug 17, China Airlines has posted scheduled operations for August and September on their website.

https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/zh...ert=39401-7030

In general, for long haul destinations:

JFK, LAX, SFO, YVR are the NA destinations that will be served.
AMS, FRA, LHR* are the Europe destinations that will be served.
All destinations to the Oceania (AKL, BNE, MEL, SYD) will be in operation, but mostly only on a bi-weekly (or even monthly) basis.

Regional wise ex-TPE:

CTU, PEK, PVG, XMN remain as the only destinations allowed to be served in mainland China due to Taiwan CDC restrictions.
HKG will be in operations on a 4 weekly schedule.
Southeast Asia destinations will see BKK, CGK, DPS, HAN, MNL, PEN, PNH, KUL, RGN, SIN, SGN in operation, with DPS, HAN and SGN being only inbound in August.
ICN and NRT are the only destinations served in Northeast Asia for August, with FUK, KIX and NGO added in September.

* Heathrow replacing Gatwick.

PVG and XMN will be the only round trip destinations served ex-KHH.
No flights will be in operation from other airports in Taiwan.
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
On Aug 17, China Airlines has posted scheduled operations for August and September on their website.

https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/zh...ert=39401-7030

In general, for long haul destinations:

JFK, LAX, SFO, YVR are the NA destinations that will be served.
AMS, FRA, LHR* are the Europe destinations that will be served.
All destinations to the Oceania (AKL, BNE, MEL, SYD) will be in operation, but mostly only on a bi-weekly (or even monthly) basis.

Regional wise ex-TPE:

CTU, PEK, PVG, XMN remain as the only destinations allowed to be served in mainland China due to Taiwan CDC restrictions.
HKG will be in operations on a 4 weekly schedule.
Southeast Asia destinations will see BKK, CGK, DPS, HAN, MNL, PEN, PNH, KUL, RGN, SIN, SGN in operation, with DPS, HAN and SGN being only inbound in August.
ICN and NRT are the only destinations served in Northeast Asia for August, with FUK, KIX and NGO added in September.

* Heathrow replacing Gatwick.

PVG and XMN will be the only round trip destinations served ex-KHH.
No flights will be in operation from other airports in Taiwan.
When this covid stuff starts to receed I presume there will be some really good offers to encourage people to travel again. interesting to see CI made a quaterly profit for April-June quarter. I am keen to get back to Taiwan to visit my friends
Old May 17, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taiwan just announced effective 5/19/2021 00:00 "Local DepartureTime":

1 - no transit passenger allowed
2 - only citizens and ARC holders are allowed in

This is until at least 6/18/21. https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Category/List...xTGf3kdrinf0FA
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username
Taiwan just announced effective 5/19/2021 00:00 "Local DepartureTime":

1 - no transit passenger allowed
2 - only citizens and ARC holders are allowed in

This is until at least 6/18/21. https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Category/List...xTGf3kdrinf0FA
A little late with this - they should have cut off flights to/from India weeks ago, and forcibly quarantined those idiot employees from China Airlines, if not grounded that airline altogether. The best laid plans now gone to waste thanks to the incompetence of one company.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Maybe our Taiwan co posters can get a feel of the idea of re opening for atleast transitting throught Taoyuan Airport?
I am hoping to fly home in Mid 2022 and really hoping to get an indication that they wont still have the ban in place by then.
Otherwise i might need to fly directly or through Singapore.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
Maybe our Taiwan co posters can get a feel of the idea of re opening for atleast transitting throught Taoyuan Airport?
I am hoping to fly home in Mid 2022 and really hoping to get an indication that they wont still have the ban in place by then.
Otherwise i might need to fly directly or through Singapore.
It's not looking good right now - not sure where your origin is, and I assume you're flying to SIN, but there is the SQ LAX-TPE-SIN flight you might be able to take assuming there is no deplane/transit formality in TPE enroute.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's not looking good right now - not sure where your origin is, and I assume you're flying to SIN, but there is the SQ LAX-TPE-SIN flight you might be able to take assuming there is no deplane/transit formality in TPE enroute.
That flight is only sold as TPE-LAX vv or SIN-TPE vv, cannot do SIN-LAX.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
That flight is only sold as TPE-LAX vv or SIN-TPE vv, cannot do SIN-LAX.
Just confirmed this is the case as TPE transfers are blocked again - I think there is an transit exception for CI but not SQ.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

First of China Airlines newest 321NEO just arrived at Taipei. Aircraft features lie flat beds in Business Class and 13.3” PTV for Economy, 15.6” PTV for Business passengers.

Press release can be found on CI website.

https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/zh/discover/news/press-release/20211129

Business class layout will be 3 rows if 2-2 while Economy class will be 3-3.
tris06 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Do all CI A321 have flat bed business class?

I guess AE and Tiger will have the high density version?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually I currently live/work in China but it is a very short distance to Hong Kong airport and my home Is in and around Brisbane, Australia. Just being a member it would be nice to be able to use them instead of going a non skyteam airline.

And I can't take a direct flight out of China (also hugely exspensive to do so at the moment). I just realised I could consider Vietnam airlines or Garuda into Sydney potentially.

For countries like China and Australia you think the Taiwanese officals might be smarter to allow certain transfers (transits) considering both places have had or have very low case numbers of the virus.

China itself is like shut tight and for its size has really small number of cases.

I suppose they couldn't bother hiring 1 or 2 people like a public servant to monitor daily (weekly averages) cases numbers and be able consider individual routes for transitting instead of a blanket ban. I am sure.CI and Eva would be happy to subsidise the cost of the admin needed.

Those A321's look great, sure i still prefer the A350 and to a lesser extent the B777 but it is a good improvement.

Anyway lets hope for good news in 2022. Atleast I did plenty of travel in China itself where CI membership can still be used with CZ,MU and Xiamen to get some benefits (lounge access).

Hope all have a great New Year.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bzcat
Do all CI A321 have flat bed business class?

I guess AE and Tiger will have the high density version?
Yes, all CI 321 aircrafts have lie flat.

Not sure about AE since they likely will only use CI’s aircraft or lease it. Maybe there will be another configuration.

Tiger likely no lie flat unless codeshare routes like Ningbo using CI’s aircraft.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 3:50 am
Original Poster

AE is taking the 738s as the E90s are being phased by end of this year.

Fantasy Sky is now installed on the 738s as internal wifi so one can access entertainment on all CI's aircraft as of December 2021 by utilizing self device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.