Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I am beginning to feel that the 10 77Ws are not enough and some 744s may stay longer than expected cause they are already running out of capacities as of now with 13 744s.
I think so too. The A359 will arrive too late to help with the immediate need for more capacity. I assume the A343 is still leaving ASAP but now I think the 744 retirement dates will be pushed back.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
No first?

Really no first class? So what is the point of having the new first class lounge in Taipei terminal 2? Not only a waste of money when just 15months later getting rid of first class but also a failure from the customers using it.

It's already a ghost town with first class passengers preferring the old first class lounge. Well I am mixed feelings about this especially if they make upgrading from economy like BR's 70,000 miles.. However you'd hope there was a massive improvement in the business product. Might sway me to purchase economy plus on long hauls...

What you this about it being reverse herringbone layout? Could we see a coffin class like Cathay had? Exciting times ahead..

One other thing... Will they put the 747 back on the Amsterdam route or the new 777's next year?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
What you this about it being reverse herringbone layout? Could we see a coffin class like Cathay had? Exciting times ahead..
Reverse herringbone would be the same kind of seat that CX, BR, AA, and DL are either currently using or are currently phasing in.

Which one can fit more seats in the same space: herringbone (reversed or not) or staggered?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by bzcat
I think so too. The A359 will arrive too late to help with the immediate need for more capacity. I assume the A343 is still leaving ASAP but now I think the 744 retirement dates will be pushed back.
They have been running out of planes so I won't be surprised if they deploy the 343s to KHH and continue to fly regional routes as these planes are not that bad to fly short hauls.

Really no first class? So what is the point of having the new first class lounge in Taipei terminal 2? Not only a waste of money when just 15months later getting rid of first class but also a failure from the customers using it.
No first class in the new planes but the existing ones are still there. Plus that lounge can be used by Emeralds flying in Business as well.

It's already a ghost town with first class passengers preferring the old first class lounge. Well I am mixed feelings about this especially if they make upgrading from economy like BR's 70,000 miles.. However you'd hope there was a massive improvement in the business product. Might sway me to purchase economy plus on long hauls...
They have reduced the offerings in the original First Class to force passengers to move to the new lounge, but to me I still prefer the old one as it's closer to gate and is not divided.

One other thing... Will they put the 747 back on the Amsterdam route or the new 777's next year?
They might just look exactly the same like BR's new 77Ws. One should hope for that cause the new 77Ws BR has are still 3-3-3 in the Economy layout.

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Reverse herringbone would be the same kind of seat that CX, BR, AA, and DL are either currently using or are currently phasing in.

Which one can fit more seats in the same space: herringbone (reversed or not) or staggered?
Staggered fits more. See Emirates 77W.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
They have been running out of planes so I won't be surprised if they deploy the 343s to KHH and continue to fly regional routes as these planes are not that bad to fly short hauls.
So CI will probably fly them until the next D check... then they go to Arizona and become beer cans. But if they intend to use A343 for short haul, would it make sense to leave it in low density layout? It only has 276 seats vs. over 300 on all 3 versions of A333. But the idea of spending more money on the A343 seems a little bit foolish.

What is the latest estimate on A359 delivery? 2018?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

No

The a350's are expected for delievery from begining of 2016.

If they replace the a340's and put them to pasture it would be silly to change the layout to a higher density.

So when will they stop first class to the US?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:20 am

The a350's are expected for delievery from begining of 2016.

If they replace the a340's and put them to pasture it would be silly to change the layout to a higher density.

So when will they stop first class to the US?
Once seven of the 777s are online and the 74C/74R can be taken off the California routes, I'm guessing?

Unless they start selling F as J and J as Y+ (which I doubt).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

So

End result will be having the a340's and B747's doing mostly short haul flights. Maybe the 747 will be deployed back into Europe until the a350's come..
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list

It's already a ghost town with first class passengers preferring the old first class lounge.
Never ceased to amaze me what a poor show CI make of the flagship lounge at the home base. Poor layout and design with nothing close to other standards adopted by Asian carriers elsewhere in SE Asia.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

hmm

Originally Posted by mayodave
Never ceased to amaze me what a poor show CI make of the flagship lounge at the home base. Poor layout and design with nothing close to other standards adopted by Asian carriers elsewhere in SE Asia.
Well in all honesty Mayo there are plenty of other airlines in Asia that you could say have lounges around the same level as the lounges in taipei.

Eva air is not impressive from many accounts.
Their old first class lounge is fine for many. Just they stuffed up with the new first class. I am sure the fualt of who they picked to design it. I pretty sure it will be re done if it continues to be unpopular.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:30 pm

TransAsia Airways (GE) launches its own LCC called V-Air. Will beat CI-backed TigerAir Taiwan to air first.

http://centreforaviation.com/news/tr...y-v-air-301898
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

CI's 777's and 747's

Just following the conversation on Airliners

(http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5999454/)

Some things they were discussing surprised me. I wondered if others on here thought the same..

First thing was that a couple of the was some estimation about having 60J class seating (On the new 777w's) where i was more likely expecting 34-42J Business section and a mid sized 30-50 Premium economy section. CI tends to have a smaller Business class on average compared to other airlines. BR seems to be the same as well.

Also another thing which quite a few posters seem to point to is that the 747's will be retired almost straight after the 777w's enter service apart from the latest 4 models. Funny considering they spent the money on renewing the interiors only 18 months ago.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:24 pm

Just following the conversation on Airliners

(http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5999454/)

Some things they were discussing surprised me. I wondered if others on here thought the same..

First thing was that a couple of the was some estimation about having 60J class seating (On the new 777w's) where i was more likely expecting 34-42J Business section and a mid sized 30-50 Premium economy section. CI tends to have a smaller Business class on average compared to other airlines. BR seems to be the same as well.

Also another thing which quite a few posters seem to point to is that the 747's will be retired almost straight after the 777w's enter service apart from the latest 4 models. Funny considering they spent the money on renewing the interiors only 18 months ago.
On the first point, I think 60J is probably wrong. That would mean CI is putting more J seats in 77W than CX... traffic patterns just do not support that kind of premium heavy plane for CI.

On the second point, I'm surprised that all the old P&W 744 will go before A343. I guess CI will keep the A343 around longer due to cockpit/crew commonality with A330?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
It's 40 seats on Business Class.

I am not too sure how they are speculating 60 seats on reversed herringbone (from 744's 12F/49J?). That's suggesting an almost non-existent Premium Economy section.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay 40J class was my upper expectations. I think if i remember the A350's will have 36J seating. So i guess that its about right. Well whether they get rid of the 747's seems to depend how fast they can open up China. Especially onward connecting traffic (for mainland citizens) which is impossible unless you fly through HK or Macau. I know their seasonal route using the 747 to Brisbane and Auckland was really a big success.

I flew 3 times to BNE in December and February. Almost all flights were at like 97-99% capacity. So they cant be making a loss on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.