Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AirAsia.com with a USA credit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by zakami
No issues using my CapitalOne and Charles Schwab (by FIA) cards this morning. I use these cards for foreign currency purchases anyway to avoid foreign transaction fees.
My GF's mastercard is held by FIA as well, it was a Bank North before FIA took over. I guess we can mark FIA as good cards for airasia
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I can't get my Schwab FIA to work on the site for anything.

Anyone have any tips?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:57 pm

Had the same problem today trying to use a Chase branded Visa card to purchase an Air Asia flight. I gave up and tried my Citi Master Card instead, and it worked no problem.

No phone calls or emails from Chase though...they sometimes call when they see things they think are fraud.

Too bad I didn't read other people's posts further down about calling ahead to Chase to clear the card....
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:34 pm

Switch to Qatar!

I worked on Air Asia for days! They did not take any of our USA credit cards. I tried Qatar. Yes, I had to pay 50 bucks more for the two of us, but it was WELL worth it! There is a USA phone number you can call and they took the USA credit card! I think Qatar is the way to go and Air Asia must just plain GO!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
AirAsia go where? AirAsia is fine, just have patience, or if you don't use someone else like Qatar (which cannot really be compared to AirAsia anyway)

I made several bookings the other night using American credit cards.

My experience involved some cancellations, but you gotta keep trying.

1st. I could not get the system to work using USD as currency.
2nd. Even changing to MYR or SDG, the card was declined, from timing out
3rd. After successfully booking one reservation, the same card would not work for another. But that was Citi's fraud protection kicking in.
4th. I called Chase to complain that my Visa didn't work (declined) and the CS explained that AirAsia's connection timed out because they received no authorization request for my bookings. She also mentioned that she personally handled three or four other callers that week that had issues with AirAsia.
5th. I used a Chase MS debit card and booked the last flight without any issue.

So... keeping in mind that you could run into problems booking with AirAsia, I find it well worth it to try a few times and get a cheap fare than just give up and say AirAsia should go. AirAsia makes trips possible that people wouldn't think of doing otherwise. I've done a few of those and will do more in the near future when in Singapore.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA_MP, SPG
Originally Posted by buba69
Had the same problem today trying to use a Chase branded Visa card to purchase an Air Asia flight. I gave up and tried my Citi Master Card instead, and it worked no problem.

No phone calls or emails from Chase though...they sometimes call when they see things they think are fraud.

Too bad I didn't read other people's posts further down about calling ahead to Chase to clear the card....
I recently used the Citi card as well and it worked ... I guess I was lucky I didn't try the Chase card first! I did get a call from Citi's fraud department asking about the purchase, and told them when I'm traveling over to Asia to unblock my card.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Just another data point -- I had the same problems when I used both my Chase Visa and Bank of American debit card (Visa logo) to pay for Air Asia. Kept on getting denied. Chase/Bank of America had no record of any denied charge, so it must have been on AirAsia's end.

But when I iried my American Express card, that worked flawlessly. Just selected N/A for the state, and put the two letter abbreviation next to my city in the payment form.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Usually good to go but be wary

I have successfully used a Capital One credit card (no forex fees) on several occasions. However, on one occasion I had paid for a ticket online and had a copy of the confirmation page (in pdf) on my laptop but the staff could not find the reservation in their computer so I had to by a ticket on the spot if I wanted to fly that day (last flight out). Fortunately, the price difference wasn't too large. Once I was able to investigate further it turns out that my credit card wasn't charged for the original purchase/reservation. In fact, Capital One had approved the charge but then the airline cancelled the reservation for some reason (never found out why) after the website had given me a confirmation number.

Now, I always confirm the reservation at least twice after an online transaction - just to make sure.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Feb 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm Reason: format
Old May 2, 2011, 10:35 am

I book all the time with a USA card. No problem..
Old May 2, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
I book all the time with a USA card. No problem..
I think their problems do not pivot on the country of origin. It has something to do with particular cards or banks. My bank said it was not rejecting any requests from Air Asia. I would think in this day and age Air Asia would be able to identify this as a problem and resolve it. I've booked other carriers because of it. Seems every other website doesn't have any problem in this regard.

Last edited by usadan; May 2, 2011 at 11:55 am Reason: clarification
Old May 2, 2011, 11:50 am

I would contact Chase and let them know you are booking on a Thai site and they can stop the block on your card.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
I would contact Chase and let them know you are booking on a Thai site and they can stop the block on your card.
I've tried that. Chase says they are not blocking anything and not getting any requests for charges from them at all. Seems to indicate the problem is on the Air Asia side.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
My capital one card was denied repeatedly even after calling in to warn them. Eventually, it worked after several tries.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:52 am

I have used Citibank with no problems..
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Is there no way to contact Air Asia's customer service? I've tried live chat and email, but get nowhere.

My United MP Club Visa fails repeatedly, even though Chase is approving the authorization, the Verified by Visa agent says he sees Chase approving the authorization, but AirAsia apparently never completes the transaction after receiving the approval.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has recent tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.