FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Booking AirAsia.com with a USA credit card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1036208-booking-airasia-com-usa-credit-card.html)

rob0001 Jan 6, 2010 12:43 am

Booking AirAsia.com with a USA credit card

I never seem to be able to book an Air Asia website flight using my USA credit cards. I believe it is due to the fact that the drop down menu doesn't have the USA States but I could be wrong.....
Has anyone been able to get around this?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Rob

whackyjacky Jan 6, 2010 12:59 am

Done it 50 times with various cards. In fact I just did it again last weekend. Just skip the state thing and a pop up will ask you if you left it blank on purpose. Say yes and proceed. wj

BigE Jan 6, 2010 1:29 am

Or you can select "other". That has worked for me many times using a Capital One Visa, which conveniently does not any foreign exchange fees. This card is a must have for foreign travelers.

I have had problems with Tiger Air using U.S. credit cards, but not Air Asia. Well, I did have problems, but that was due to a fraud detection alert from the CC on the 2nd of two foreign purchases.

You might also try calling the Air Asia call center.

rob0001 Jan 6, 2010 2:17 am

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 13122349)
Or you can select "other". That has worked for me many times using a Capital One Visa, which conveniently does not any foreign exchange fees. This card is a must have for foreign travelers.

I have had problems with Tiger Air using U.S. credit cards, but not Air Asia. Well, I did have problems, but that was due to a fraud detection alert from the CC on the 2nd of two foreign purchases.

Yes, calling the call center is what I have always had to do after trying the "other" button......but I will see if I can do nothing as mentioned above this next time.....
I actually don't use CapitalOnes visa but I do use their moneymarket with an atm debit card (no visa logo) and get free atm withdrawals around the world....

dobolina Jan 11, 2010 1:42 am

Air Asia No Problem

I agree with most of the posts here; never had a problem paying for Air Asia flights with my US credit cards.

danielsan Jan 12, 2010 1:50 am

Originally Posted by rob0001 (Post 13122255)
I never seem to be able to book an Air Asia website flight using my USA credit cards. I believe it is due to the fact that the drop down menu doesn't have the USA States but I could be wrong.....
Has anyone been able to get around this?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Rob

What exactly is the problem you encounter?

I've had problems with one of my credit cards at either Air Asia or Nok Air's site - I blame bad programmers. I think when my CC number got hashed (kinda like encrypted) to be sent over the wires, the hash/encrypted data got stuck at one of the pages and basically blew it up - it caused some application error message. The payment was processed after I used another CC. I consistently got that error with that one credit card (I was testing to see if they fixed their problem).

BTW, it was with Canadian and Thai credit cards. The Canadian cards worked last year (July) when I last flew with them... I don't bother with LCC much anymore, though.

ndot Jan 13, 2010 3:11 pm

It could also be your credit cards anti fraud protection kicking in. For some reason every time I've used my Chase card on AirAsia the transaction sets of a fraud alert and chase calls me, sometimes the charges go through, other times they are denied. A phone call ahead of time usually helps prevent this.

bcereus2278 Jan 24, 2010 11:21 pm

air asia

i also had problems when trying to book a flight on airasia. chase issued credit card was where the problem lies. when i used citi bank issued credit card, i had no problems.
good luck.

Stezo Jan 25, 2010 2:32 am

Never had a problem using my Canadian Credit card for Air Asia purchases.
Leave the state blank.

---------
2010 Flights : TG 1

2009 Flights : SQ 24, UA 15, AK 8, KE 6, PR 5, MX 5, 5J 3, MH 3, CX 3, (3K,DG,EY,JL,LH 2) (AA,AC,AM,CO,NW,OZ,TG 1)

usadan Mar 30, 2010 10:53 am

I've had this exact same problem with my Chase cards on AirAsia.com for years. My other credit cards seem to work okay. Haven't figured out the trick for using a Chase card on it. Chase claims it is not their fraud prevention and that they are not getting a request for the charge.

Keyser Apr 1, 2010 6:26 am

i have used my american & indian credit cards to book air-asia tickets....never had a problem....

JCKIM Apr 6, 2010 3:01 am

Had same issue using my AmEX. Just needed to call the CC call center and give them advance warning that you are making a purchase on AirAsia (and I also give them the approximate purchase amount). That's all it took. It looks like the AirAsia charges come from a country that sets off alarms with some U.S. cc companies.

Good luck

neuf Apr 6, 2010 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 13122349)

Strangely enough when I used my CapitalOne classic no issues, but when I used the CapitalOne Professional it never works. :confused: Not that it matters so much when you're paying all of $70 on an LCC. AirAsia's online credit card charging system is highly erratic, and calling in is recommended if you see something you really like.

wandertheglobe Apr 9, 2010 11:43 am

My experience has been that the first transaction goes through and the second one does not. I call the CC call center and inform them that I in fact am making the charge then they turn it back on (turned off due to the CC fraud detection). Happened about 3 times now.

cj001f Apr 9, 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by usadan (Post 13677475)
I've had this exact same problem with my Chase cards on AirAsia.com for years. My other credit cards seem to work okay. Haven't figured out the trick for using a Chase card on it. Chase claims it is not their fraud prevention and that they are not getting a request for the charge.

I've also had that problem with a Chase credit card online and in person. Similar random issues with other cards that I've heard attributed to the AirAsia processing system and not anti-fraud measures. Try, try again.