Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Only Randy Petersen
Reload this Page >

Award Fuel Surcharges Masquerading As 'Taxes'.....Time For An 'Inside Flyer' Expose

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Fuel Surcharges Masquerading As 'Taxes'.....Time For An 'Inside Flyer' Expose

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
See more comprehensive list below...

Last edited by ctownflyer; May 18, 2008 at 9:08 am
Old May 8, 2008, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
OK, so here's the current list of airlines that charge and don't charge fuel surcharges. Feel free to add/correct as needed:
FYI SK just introduced fuel surcharges last week so they may charge them on award tickets too.
Old May 8, 2008, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by holtju2
FYI SK just introduced fuel surcharges last week so they may charge them on award tickets too.
Hopefully SK is still scared of the Norwegian and Swedish governments -- authorities right there in its home market have a history of hitting SK with restrictions on its FFP.
Old May 11, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Nobody knows about any other airlines charging/not charging a fuel surcharge on award tickets?
Old May 11, 2008, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Nobody knows about any other airlines charging/not charging a fuel surcharge on award tickets?
Almost all charge a fuel surcharge on award tickets. It is easier to say who doesn't.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Almost all charge a fuel surcharge on award tickets. It is easier to say who doesn't.
It's hard to believe that every non-US airline except LA and SK tack on fuel surcharges to award tickets.

Is that really the case?
Old May 12, 2008, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Since I don't know the details for every FFP I can't say all non-US FFPs charge a fuel surcharge. However, I am familiar with quite a lot of FFPs and can't think of a non-US FFP that doesn't have fuel surcharges on flight awards.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:49 pm

Since I don't know the details for every FFP I can't say all non-US FFPs charge a fuel surcharge. However, I am familiar with quite a lot of FFPs and can't think of a non-US FFP that doesn't have fuel surcharges on flight awards.
Well then, I guess I can add SQ to the list...
For the record AZ, LA and SK are 3 non-US airlines that don't have fuel surcharges.

Airlines charging a fuel surcharge for award redemptions when flying on their own metal:
AC
AF
BA
BD
CX
DL (currently only ex-EU)
EL
JL
KL
LH
LX
LY
MH
NH
NZ
OS
QF
OZ
SQ
TG
VS

Airlines not charging a fuel surcharge for award redemptions when flying on their own metal:
AA
AS
AZ
CO
LA
NW
SK
UA
US

Last edited by ctownflyer; May 18, 2008 at 9:07 am Reason: added more airlines to list
Old May 13, 2008, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Start an FT 'QUIK-POLL'

Maybe to help give this issue some broader exposure and traction, maybe it should be the 'Poll of The Month' on the HomePage.

Sample questions.....other ideas welcome.

Does your airline program currently include a fuel surcharge in the cost of your award tickets?

Would you consider switching airline programs if your program began charging a fuel surcharge for award tickets?

Are you aware that for international award tickets, that fuel surcharges can be as much as $400 (if not more at this point?) per ticket?

Last edited by beaubo; May 13, 2008 at 3:01 pm
Old May 13, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Originally Posted by beaubo
Maybe to help give this issue some broader exposure and traction, maybe it should be the 'Poll of The Month' on the HomePage.

Does your airline program currently include a fuel surcharge in the cost of your award tickets?

Would you consider switching airline programs if your program began charging a fuel surcharge for award tickets?

Are you aware that for international award tickets, that fuel surcharges can be as much as $400 (if not more at this point?) per ticket?
This is a very good idea. It may give Randy and the programs some food for thought.
Old May 13, 2008, 2:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Dudemon
This is a very good idea. It may give Randy and the programs some food for thought.
Maybe we just need to push-poll Randy.
Old May 13, 2008, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by beaubo

I would ask, "Does your airline charge a fuel surcharge for awards on their own metal" as well as "Does your airline charge a fuel surcharge for awards on partners"

Seems to be a big gray area...
Old May 18, 2008, 5:26 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
OS and LX also charge a fuel surcharge on award tickets.
Old May 19, 2008, 8:59 am
Suspended

If i could add a point.

Which was the first airline to start introducing fuel surcharge? I'm hard pressed to think that the airlines will do away the surcharge at some time in future and therefore should include them in ticket prices. If the aim is for marketing low published fares, then its an obvious case of deception and possible criminal issues.

Australia already has all domestic airlines introducing all-inclusive fares and the fact that SQ is marketing all inclusive fares certainly indicate there might be awareness of the issue. The solution is all-inclusive fares. simplistic but practical. Alternatively, remove the fee as imho, its part and parcel of an airfare.
Old May 19, 2008, 9:21 am

I think Randy should also address the fact that many airlines have been/are being investigated for price fixing when it comes to fuel surcharges with their cargo division. Some have been fined million of dollars. That raises suspicion that they are also price fixing with passenger service, which some are being investigated for.

Also, the fact that the fuel surcharge is separate from the "fare" the compensation vouchers we get for bumped/delayed flights are can not be applied against these charges. Hmmmmmm.

Here is some more info on fuel price fixing:

British Airways and Virgin Atlantic will together pay about $203 million to settle a lawsuit brought by passengers who said the airlines illegally fixed the price of fuel surcharges on long-haul trips.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/business/16air.html

The U.S. Department of Justice and Britain's Office of Fair Trade have contacted British Airways, Virgin Atlantic Airways, United Airlines, American Airlines and possibly others in connection with the investigation. Violating price-fixing laws could carry civil and criminal charges.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/22/business/ba.php

A senior official of the Competition Commission of India has said that domestic airlines could potentially be hauled up for fixing the fuel surcharge on airline tickets in league with each other.

http://www.domain-b.com/aero/gov_reg..._airlines.html

Air Canada, the country's biggest airline, reported a deeper first-quarter loss on Thursday, partly due to a $125-million charge to cover a cargo price-fixing investigation.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/0...anadaloss.html

The former highest-ranking Qantas Airways Limited cargo executive employed in the United States has agreed to plead guilty, serve 8 months in jail, and pay a criminal fine for participating in a conspiracy to fix rates for international air cargo shipments, the Department of Justice announced today.

http://media-newswire.com/release_1066314.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.