Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk Premium

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chexfan
I still get ads for this "My FlyerTalk" thing...
OK, I was joking about that, but what about the ads on the left of gleff's "View from the Wing"?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:07 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Great to have the pages loading fast.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:28 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

We must have overlooked that during our install on the front pages. Let me get with the tech guys and see how that might be addressed. Very much appreciate having an additional set of eyes on FT - it helps.

OK, I was joking about that, but what about the ads on the left of gleff's "View from the Wing"?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Ok I am chiming in merely because there just seems to be waaayyyy too little contraversy and fighting in this thread *huge smile*. How can I know I am in ORP if everyone is getting along??? So here Randy just so you don't feel out of place...

I think the moderators and FT are being very unfair in only discussing Starwood points as a bonus and not those for the "Bob's Motel Roach Count Program" *trying to look seriously mad while laughing and posting this*. You are all bias and don't care that I collected 8821 roaches to get my points and now you are going to give away points I cant get. That just isnt fair...*stomping away*

Anyway, sorry just in a very silly, avoiding doing work, mood.

Randy I do think the way you did the premium was really classy. I had been pretty vocal and concerned about us not being forced to anti-up and think you did this is in a very low key way that made it comfortable for everyone. Great job.

PS Can I get my DL miles now and make sure they come with MQM's please so I can get my upgrade *grin*
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
We must have overlooked that during our install on the front pages. Let me get with the tech guys and see how that might be addressed. Very much appreciate having an additional set of eyes on FT - it helps.
FT Premium is great. Thank you!!!

I noticed today when signing on, the front page still had ads, but when I got to the forums listings, there were no ads. Is this normal? Or is it one of the glitches?

It is nice to look at FT without seeing the ads. $12 for this uncluttered look is WELL worth it!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I noticed today when signing on, the front page still had ads, but when I got to the forums listings, there were no ads. Is this normal? Or is it one of the glitches?
I would think that the ads would be there (and everywhere) until you signed in.

What "front page" are you talking about?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:27 pm

I would think that the ads would be there (and everywhere) until you signed in.

What "front page" are you talking about?
I guess I'm not signed in at that point.

The "front page" that I was referring to is the "main" FT page with all the other links and options, the page that you are on just before you click the link to "View from the Wing". And yes, I also see the ads on the "View from the Wing" page.

So your answer, chexfan, is a contridiction. No, I'm not signed on at the "front page". But you are not signed on to FT when you click from that page to the "View from the Wing" page either. Thus you see the ads also.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Do you enter your user and password everytime you come to ft?

My bookmarked page goes to My FT... so I am always logged in. When I go to flyertalk.com logged in, I don't see any ads. Likely, I am signed in when I go to Gary's blog, but there are ads there. But, upon reflection, they aren't the usual ads.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:36 pm

Interesting. Do you enter your user and password everytime you come to ft?

My bookmarked page goes to My FT... so I am always logged in. When I go to flyertalk.com logged in, I don't see any ads. Likely, I am signed in when I go to Gary's blog, but there are ads there. But, upon reflection, they aren't the usual ads.
My bookmarked page goes to the "main" FT page, not to "My FT" - so I'm not sure if I am logged in at that point or not. But when I click on whichever forum that I want to view, I am automatically signed in as the_traveler at that point (because it is memorized) - so I am not sure when I "sign in".

I have gone to "View from the Wing" from the "main" page (just after I click from my favorites list) and after I read the forums. So am I signed in or not? If not, does it sign me off between reading the forums and going back to the "main" FT page to click on the "View from the Wing" link?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:34 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Randy,
I just saw the premium service today, as soon as I saw it, my 12 bucks came your way. I don't care if you add any special offers or not, as I've already received far more value then that by several orders of magnitude.

Thanks!
Scott
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Randy, does FT premium extend to Frequent Flyer Wiki?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Randy, does FT premium extend to Frequent Flyer Wiki?
For that matter, the Blogs page also shows ads under Premium. I noticed this once a while back and forgot to ask about it. This post just reminded me.

Forgive me if there's a better location for discussing this....
Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I honestly would have paid more for FT Premium

a bit more..... but I already paid

maybe you should indicate somehow like below their username "premium member" for paying subscribers? Just for bragging rights...

Last edited by civicmon; Nov 21, 2005 at 3:27 pm
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:44 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

OK, a few questions, a few answers.

Actually, FlyerTalk Premium doesn't have much to do with the FlyerTalk forums - the privilege of this particular premium is solely derived from subscribers of the online edition of Insideflyer.com. It was that magazine that negotiated with FT for the benefit. It does not extend to the blogs since that is not an inherent part of the forums themselves. Same for the Wiki. The only thing that insideflyer.com was able to negotiate was an ad-free environment for the actual forums themselves.

Which is all why one does not see any "premium" indication popping up in any members statistics. It's not meant to be a bragging point, rather just a subtle way in which we can raise small amounts of revenue toward the cost of proving FlyerTalk forums for free. I think the arrangement we have is that $2.25 of the cost of the insideflyer.com subscription is paid back to FlyerTalk toward its fundraising efforts. It's not much but every little bit helps and as many of the long time members know - FlyerTalk was available ad-free in its early years. It's no capitalistic tool, but we do believe in helping enhance the value of all our members miles and points.

Hope this will answer some of the latest questions - thank you.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Randy. That definitely makes complete sense.

Thanks for getting back to us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.