Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotwire "double" guarantee - Do they ever pay up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I often use Hotwire or Priceline for hotel bookings. I have been watching Hotwire for some time for a booking in Pasadena, CA for late in October. They showed a 3.5* for $96 a night, a a 2.5* for $145. It was clear from the amenities listed what hotels these are - the 3.5* is the Sheraton, and the 2.5* is the Holiday Inn - Express. In this case, because I'm mostly driving a lot during this visit, I actually prefer the HI (free parking at the door vs $15 garage).

HI oddly however shows the Express for $111 per night. This seemed a ripe opportunity to use the "Double the Difference" guarantee from Hotwire. I booked the Hotwire room, it is in fact the HI Express, and then demanded they honor their guarantee. I took screenshots of the HI website just in case. By my calculations, they owe me $72/night for three nights.

Four days gone by, no response from Hotwire (other than the automated receipt).

Do they actually honor this guarantee, or will I end up with a credit card fight? I read all the rules and even with the "fine print" I'm sure this qualifies.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:58 pm

Did you ever hear back? I think I have a similar situation for a trip next week, assuming the betterbidding.com hotel list is correct.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:14 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Yes, they are honest in this regard and pay up (At least I haven't heard of the opposite). If there was a long delay I would e-mail to [email protected] and ask what's up. And make screenshots of the lower rate so that it does not disappear without trace.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:55 am

This is directly from Hotwire's customer care FAQ

http://www.hotwire.com/customer-care...erence-faq.jsp

Q: How do I submit a Double the Difference refund request?

A:To submit a Double the Difference refund request, go to the "My Account" section. When you've logged into your account, find the hotel booking that you want to submit a request on. On the detail page for the hotel booking, click on the "Submit a Double the Difference Refund Request" link. You'll submit your refund request from this page.

If you submit a request for a Double the Difference Price Guarantee refund, you will be informed within three business days of the validity of your request. If a refund is issued, your original reservation will not be cancelled.

you need to contact customer care about this request, and yes, they will credit the difference to your credit card.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:12 pm
B1

Hotwire does honor the guarantee

I had no trouble getting them to honor this for a hotel in Kona, Hawaii. It was a matter of confirming it on the hotel's web site. I used the money to book another place. I was well aware, as is the OP, that this was the case before I booked.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Over the past 5 years, I have probably filed 10-12 claims (3 this year alone)with Hotwire for their Double-the-Difference guarantee program. To date, they have honored each and every claim.

Although successful with every claim, I did notice a difference with my two most recent claims this past summer in that I would not receive a reply back for a good 10-14 days after filing. In fact, I discovered the two different refunds on to my credit card account a number of days before receiving emails indicating the claims had been approved. This is in contrast to all my previous claims which were answered much quicker (usually 24-72 hours).

I see you started this thread about 8 days ago. Have you heard back from Hotwire in the meantime?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:57 pm
B1

Originally Posted by BEAV
Over the past 5 years, I have probably filed 10-12 claims (3 this year alone)with Hotwire for their Double-the-Difference guarantee program. To date, they have honored each and every claim.
I think that when I did it, Hotwire had a statement that they would honor up to 3 claims a year. Is there no limit now?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by B1
I think that when I did it, Hotwire had a statement that they would honor up to 3 claims a year. Is there no limit now?
I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of annual claims filed. However, there is a six week limit between claims and a $1,000 ceiling on annual payouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.