Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Getting hotel's standard free breakfast on PL stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:29 am
Original Poster

i've used PL a couple of times but now i'm looking to bid in a zone that only has a Marriott SHS & RI, according to BFT and BetterBidding. both offer free breakfast to all of their guests. am i crazy to think that i'll be able to get the free breakfast too or will my PL stay status disqualify me?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
i've used PL a couple of times but now i'm looking to bid in a zone that only has a Marriott SHS & RI, according to BFT and BetterBidding. both offer free breakfast to all of their guests. am i crazy to think that i'll be able to get the free breakfast too or will my PL stay status disqualify me?
If it's a place where everyone gets free breakfast (Hampton, Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, Springhill, Homewood Suites, Country Inn and Suites, etc.) it is essentially not possible for them to not include it. So if those two are truly the only possibilities (remember, there could be another one nobody has yet gotten or something), then you would indeed get the breakfast.

This is part of why one of the most wished for features of Priceline is that you don't get upgraded from 2.5* to 3*, because 3* are sometimes older than the 2.5* and also frequently do not include breakfast where as 2.5* places frequently do. So that's another thing to make sure of. These are probably 2.5* properties, so you'll want to make sure you can't be upgraded to 3* and no free breakfast.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Just today I persuaded a front desk clerk to give me the free breakfast coupons I would get for a paid stay due to my status with the hotel chain, even though it was a PL stay (nonstatus and PL guests not normally being entitled to breakfast coupons at this chain). The way to do this is to show your status card, smile, and say something along the lines of "I know I'm not entitled to points, but I just want you to know I'm a good customer. When I spend the bosses' money, I pay the regular rate, and when it's my own money, I use PL. You'd do the same thing, wouldn't you?"
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Ahhh....I'm just remembering the good old days when I had a Hilton gold card, and Priceline was offering the $20 "bonus money" for using an AMEX, and our family of 4 got the SeaTac Doubletree for about $25, and they gave us four full breakfast buffet coupons.

Sweet memories...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:28 pm
B1

I've stayed twice at 4* Hiltons on PL and my Hilton Gold got me the breakfast. They said that Hilton Gold benefits don't matter how you paid...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by B1
I've stayed twice at 4* Hiltons on PL and my Hilton Gold got me the breakfast. They said that Hilton Gold benefits don't matter how you paid...
As a Hilton Diamond, I have been denied breakfast certs b/c of a PL booking. Doesn't mean I didn't try later and filed to succeed though...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by B1
You got lucky. Hilton Gold benefits DO depend on the method of payment. From the HHonors site:

Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase are not Eligible Stays for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status, or the receipt of VIP tier benefits such as upgraded accommodations / amenities or access to health clubs.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:42 pm
B1

Originally Posted by ac/elite
You got lucky. Hilton Gold benefits DO depend on the method of payment. From the HHonors site:

Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase are not Eligible Stays for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status, or the receipt of VIP tier benefits such as upgraded accommodations / amenities or access to health clubs.
That's why it's good not to read the fine print.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF Silver
I'm starting to take printouts of the opaque channel policy along with my booking info these days. Am a Hilton Diamond & sometimes book one of the last-minute travel deals through Travelocity...

Airfare + 3 days @ Motel 6 ... $X
Airfare + 3 days @ Hilton ..... $X + $50
Airfare + 3 days @ Ritz ........ $X + $200

Last couple of trips the front desk at the Hilton said I wasn't eligible for club floor access because I had booked a pre-paid discounted package deal. Had to argue that it wasn't an opaque booking since I specifically selected the Hilton package to take advantage of status. Both times I finally got a manager to accede because "the hotel wasn't full anyway." Guess they were so accustomed to dealing with PL bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.