Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

PL bidding: car rental - how often?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum

How often can you bid on a car rental -- i.e. how long do you have to wait after an unsuccessful bid to bid again with the same parameters?

I know for hotels it is 3 days.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
After you first bid is denied, PL will let you rebid again with the same parameters. After that, you have to start fiddling with things.

Make sure you thoroughly research your car rental pricing, sometimes PL isn't always the best, especially for shorter rentals.

Last edited by CApreppie; Jun 11, 2005 at 1:45 am
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thanks, preppie. I know the market I'm renting in pretty well as I have a couple of trips there every month. PL consistently beats the best price I can find anywhere (even with coupons).
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:16 pm

It's 7 days for rental cars.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by thereuare
It's 7 days for rental cars.
Thats what it was when I bid and was rejected for a recent rental car. I thought the rebid period was ridiculously long.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Thats what it was when I bid and was rejected for a recent rental car. I thought the rebid period was ridiculously long.
And if friends/family bid for you (and add in your middle initial/name) from their computer, does that circumvent the limitation?

Something like that works for hotels.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:10 pm

Programs: Brown medallion
CApreppie, I have bid Priceline car rental twice (Mar & May 05) and both times I wasn't allowed to rebid with the same parameters.

For the first bid, I used my friend's credit card and started a new bid (since there were two of us traveling together).

For May bid, I bid for a compact for $13 rejected. Changed car type to mid-size for $14 accepted.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by vholic
For May bid, I bid for a compact for $13 rejected. Changed car type to mid-size for $14 accepted.
This indicates that with cars you can add a HIGHER category to your choice. With hotels, you can only add a lower category since PL automatically looks for upgrades for you (ie. if you bid a 3*, you can win a 4+ star). So if I bid for an economy car, PL will only look at economy and not midsize or higher???

Also, is there a way to rebid by changing times, or are we stuck waiting for 7 days??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.