Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Delta Stays consistently more expensive than Expedia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM

Delta Stays uses Expedia's booking engine. I can tell because the user interface is the same. I've done several searches for the same hotels on both sites, and I've found the Delta Stays prices to be consistently higher. For instance, I just searched the Radisson Portland Airport. Expedia's price is $107 after a $33 discount. Delta Stays' price is $132 after the same $33 discount. The Hilton Downtown Portland is $126 on Expedia and $153 on Delta Stays.

Again, this is using the SAME booking engine, just different sites. It appears Delta is ripping us off.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
and some of us are still doing it to get a few MQDs
itamex likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Did you compare the cancellation policies? DL Stays often has a few different options at different prices, that vary based on cancellation policy.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems Expedia leaves taxes and fees out of the nightly price while Delta Stays does not. Notice how Expedia has lower nightly price below, but the total amount is the exact same $810 as Delta Stays.

dw, MSPeconomist, indufan and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
and some of us are still doing it to get a few MQDs

and some of us have realized that drinking the Kool-Aid is useless
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:39 pm

Like Monopoly. Take Amex out of sock drawer. Use it for just one Delta Stays hotel. Collect $200. Put back in sock drawer.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:07 pm
dw

Originally Posted by xliioper
It seems Expedia leaves taxes and fees out of the nightly price while Delta Stays does not. Notice how Expedia has lower nightly price below, but the total amount is the exact same $810 as Delta Stays.
This reminds me of the endless posts about Marriott charging more once people are logged in… bc they didn’t realize taxes and fees were included.

Since CA tends to lead the way by sheer population, hopefully once their new law re: showing upfront prices inclusive of fees takes place this July, Expedia will have to change the way they display hotel rates
SPN Lifer and CPMaverick like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by dw
This reminds me of the endless posts about Marriott charging more once people are logged in… bc they didn’t realize taxes and fees were included.

Since CA tends to lead the way by sheer population, hopefully once their new law re: showing upfront prices inclusive of fees takes place this July, Expedia will have to change the way they display hotel rates
The FTC has also proposed regulations requiring similar up-front pricing. Many sites are actually in favor of it, they just have trouble competing if everyone isn't doing it. As is evidenced by this thread.
flyerCO, Festive1512 and dw like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
Originally Posted by safigan
Delta Stays uses Expedia's booking engine. I can tell because the user interface is the same. ...

Again, this is using the SAME booking engine, just different sites. It appears Delta is ripping us off.
are you 100% sure delta stay uses expedia????

tecate55 and DLASflyer like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
i'm using delta expedia a lot
1) the MQD arrives within 24h-36h from checkout if it is prepaid
2) the price are higher if you are not logged in the travelextra
3) in the mobile version many prices are lower. You can activate in your desktop chrome the MOBILE view, refresh it and see if price is lower or not

we are using it for the MQD, so i really don't care if in booking. com i can save 3-4%
I'm doing another 15-20 bookings for may until the offer ends (4th march last days for stays until end of may)
and i hope the renew it
But it was not very well advertised, so i think a LOT of people missed it
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
The FTC has also proposed regulations requiring similar up-front pricing. Many sites are actually in favor of it, they just have trouble competing if everyone isn't doing it. As is evidenced by this thread.
The main argument I've heard against is it unfairly hurts the business. Ie in environments like US where taxes can vary widely even in the same city. I.e. Both hotels are willing to charge $100. Both are right across street from each other, in same city. However one is within a water district and the other isn't. One must charge $25 in taxes/fees, but the other only must charge $15.

It is same reason in US prices at stores don't include sales tax.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:29 am
dw

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The main argument I've heard against is it unfairly hurts the business. Ie in environments like US where taxes can vary widely even in the same city. I.e. Both hotels are willing to charge $100. Both are right across street from each other, in same city. However one is within a water district and the other isn't. One must charge $25 in taxes/fees, but the other only must charge $15.

It is same reason in US prices at stores don't include sales tax.
Getting OT, but I have no sympathy for hotels here- the reason they are getting regulatory scrutiny now with how prices are displayed is solely because so many properties have started charging junk fees (resort/destination/amenity) and they weren’t including them when displaying pre-tax prices. And there is a long standing pattern here- remember 20 years ago when some properties were charging “energy surcharges”?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
Getting OT, but I have no sympathy for hotels here- the reason they are getting regulatory scrutiny now with how prices are displayed is solely because so many properties have started charging junk fees (resort/destination/amenity) and they weren’t including them when displaying pre-tax prices. And there is a long standing pattern here- remember 20 years ago when some properties were charging “energy surcharges”?
I agree on junk fees. They need to go way of DoDo. Especially when it covers things you should get for free due to status.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
I love how with airline prices, the price you see is the price you pay for the ticket.
I no longer care how many junk fees Spirit and Frontier add to their prices because that's all now embedded in the displayed price.
Hotels need to be mandated to do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.