Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia and refunds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Just argued with an Expedia agent where I was allowed changes to my CX reservation without a fee. It was booked March 7th for travel March 31 (which was canceled) well within the timeframe of a waived fee. The agent refused to change the reservation to August because I was moved to June 1st which the flight is operating. Even though the fee waiver is for the ORIGINAL book date, this agent didn’t know what ORIGINAL meant so he refused to change the date without a fee.

If I’m booking anything during this timeframe, It’s gonna be directly through the airline. Their own agents don’t know what the words “ORIGINAL” mean.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by izzik
Called Expedia yesterday because they had canceled an itinerary but did not provide the option for a refund. It was a 2-airline trip: Iberia outbound, AA return flight, AA codeshares and AA ticket number. IB had made 3 schedule changes to the itinerary: first it was a 5 minute sched change, then they moved the outbound flight 24 hrs ahead, then they just canceled the outbound flight altogether.

It took the 1st agent 1 hr to come to the conclusion that the trip *might* be eligible for a full refund. She kept saying that the AA ticket only reflected the 5 min change, thus I would be subject to the cancellation fee per the ticket rules ($400/person). I kept telling her that the IB flight didn't even exist anymore - isn't that proof of cancelation?? Finally, at approx 1hr20m, it was escalated to another help desk. The supervisor requested the refunds on AA.com (2 tickets) and told me that I would have to call Expedia once the refunds were processed by AA, then Expedia would finish processing (Expedia was the entity that charged my credit card). Of course, I wondered how I would bypass the phone system if I was beyond the 72 hrs pre-trip but he assured me that it would not be a problem if my original departure date is in the past.

Note: This flight was part of an Expedia Vacation package and I had also purchased the Expedia Vacation Waiver on top of it.. the T&C state:

If you purchase a Vacation Wavier, you may change or cancel your Trip for any reason one time prior to the Scheduled Start Time, and we will:

• Process that change or cancellation on your behalf with the applicable travel providers (airline, hotel, rental car company, destination activity provider, etc.);
  • Waive our own change or cancellation fees (if any);
  • Return any amounts refunded by the travel provider(s) to you;
  • Refund any amounts withheld by the travel provider as a change or cancel fee;
So, even if they pushed the cancelation fee argument, Expedia would be on the hook for paying it... but that's another 2 hr phone call waiting to happen.

Overall, 2 hrs of my time I'll never get back. My husband wonders why I didn't just initiate a chargeback. I'm trying to follow their rules but it's completely obvious that the first agent was simply stalling for time, probably hoping I would give up.
More hassle than you need. The requirement for you to call back is b.s. and there is no reason why Expedia cannot process the refund to your card when it sees the refund from the carrier. Sounds like they are setting you up for more arguing about credits & vouchers.

You have made your request for a refund, you have been told that you are due a refund, and now there is nothing more for you to do other than to file a chargeback when the refund does not appear.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
Called Expedia yesterday because they had canceled an itinerary but did not provide the option for a refund. It was a 2-airline trip: Iberia outbound, AA return flight, AA codeshares and AA ticket number. IB had made 3 schedule changes to the itinerary: first it was a 5 minute sched change, then they moved the outbound flight 24 hrs ahead, then they just canceled the outbound flight altogether.

It took the 1st agent 1 hr to come to the conclusion that the trip *might* be eligible for a full refund. She kept saying that the AA ticket only reflected the 5 min change, thus I would be subject to the cancellation fee per the ticket rules ($400/person). I kept telling her that the IB flight didn't even exist anymore - isn't that proof of cancelation?? Finally, at approx 1hr20m, it was escalated to another help desk. The supervisor requested the refunds on AA.com (2 tickets) and told me that I would have to call Expedia once the refunds were processed by AA, then Expedia would finish processing (Expedia was the entity that charged my credit card). Of course, I wondered how I would bypass the phone system if I was beyond the 72 hrs pre-trip but he assured me that it would not be a problem if my original departure date is in the past.

Note: This flight was part of an Expedia Vacation package and I had also purchased the Expedia Vacation Waiver on top of it.. the T&C state:

If you purchase a Vacation Wavier, you may change or cancel your Trip for any reason one time prior to the Scheduled Start Time, and we will:

• Process that change or cancellation on your behalf with the applicable travel providers (airline, hotel, rental car company, destination activity provider, etc.);
  • Waive our own change or cancellation fees (if any);
  • Return any amounts refunded by the travel provider(s) to you;
  • Refund any amounts withheld by the travel provider as a change or cancel fee;
So, even if they pushed the cancelation fee argument, Expedia would be on the hook for paying it... but that's another 2 hr phone call waiting to happen.

Overall, 2 hrs of my time I'll never get back. My husband wonders why I didn't just initiate a chargeback. I'm trying to follow their rules but it's completely obvious that the first agent was simply stalling for time, probably hoping I would give up.
My experience was very similar. Spent an hour on line with an agent, then another hour waiting for a supervisor. Was eventually transferred to a phone call and waited about 15 minutes for the supervisor to pick up. I certainly got the impression that the first agent was trained to be unhelpful and the manager was trained or selected to be quite belligerent. I had booked a package including hotel, flight and insurance. The flight and the hotel both cancelled. I expected a full refund since Expedia are providing nothing that I paid for. They said they have refunded the hotel charge but the airline will be credit only and nothing for the insurance. Overall I was quite surprised by the lack of customer service, they seem to deliberately try to avoid serving. Nothing about this transaction makes me wish to do business with them again.
I have had several other coronavirus cancellations. JetBlue was the best, credited immediately after flight was cancelled, then changed to a refund after a phone call. American refunded miles and the small fee after a phone call. British Airways refunded after about 30 days, once I got assistance from BA refund helper. Hotels.com were more or less instantaneous, money back in my account in a couple of days. Iberia gave me credit, I still have to find time to call them to try to get a refund instead. Overall my coronavirus cancellations have been handled well by the travel provider. Not Expedia. Now I have to either call the airline to argue for a refund or make a claim on the travel insurance or make a claim on the credit card company. So I have put about three hours into this and counting. Not a happy customer.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:20 pm

I need to add Marriott, Hyatt and the Alhambra to my list of refunders with whom I am very satisfied. Expedia are the only company I have had a bad experience with.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:24 pm

I’d urge people not to waste their time with overworked, over stressed, and incompetent Expedia and Orbitz staff. Use their offline email addresses. I would post them but it looks like a mod deleted them. I’ve gotten the most done with their offline team’s email.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:40 am

Unfortunately to use the secret email we need to know what that email address is. My conclusion was that Expedia’s customer service system is doing exactly what they designed it to do. They want you to get frustrated and hang up. Their people are trained to achieve that. On my booking I called Delta, of course they said there was nothing they could do, as a special fare they didn’t even know what the fare was until after the ticket had been used. I am not sure I believe that but I am sure the problem belongs with Expedia, not Delta. At least the Delta customer service was quick and pleasant, as if customers had some value to them.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have received confirmation from AA that the refunds were processed on their end, with Expedia to receive the refund.
Now, I will spend 15 min on the phone with Expedia to get them to refund me.
If they push back somehow (?), it's chargeback time. Not going to waste hours arguing with idiots.

Spoke too soon.. spent another 90 minutes on the phone with Expedia CS - first guy was pretty good at getting the facts right; he escalated fairly quickly.
Second help desk took a much longer time, then needed to confirm with a higher level help desk b/c the refunds were "too high" (I guess they are only authorized to do up to $2500).
Around the 90 min mark, everything was settled and I received e-mail confirmation of the refunds to be processed. *sigh*

Last edited by izzik; Apr 24, 2020 at 10:36 am
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Expedia has been really appalling during all of this. With me it has mostly come down to really deceptive and manipulative language trying to get me to agree with carriers' preferred outcomes, but none of the above stories really surprise me.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely a PITA dealing with Expedia. I had a booking on Air Canada to China that I was supposed to take next week. As I was within a week of the travel date, I was able to get through the phone tree using the "refunds" prompt. And, to their credit, the hold times were only a few minutes. But from there, it was tough. AC only authorized a voucher. I told Expedia this was not acceptable: I am legally entitled to a refund, and that's what I want and expect. On my third phone call to Expedia, I found a supervisor who was willing to call in to AC and demand the refund. It took her a long time on hold. She agreed to call me back a couple hours later, when she then confirmed the refund. I now have a "Refund Receipt" in my email so, hopefully, the money hits my credit card account pretty quickly.

This experience confirms my long held belief that online travel agents provide poor service. I only use them when they provide a discount I can not get elsewhere. In this case, it was a fare that the agency was able to price that I could not get directly with the airline.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:28 pm

I’ve been getting a lot of PMs. My mistake, my contact emails are for Orbitz
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
Definitely a PITA dealing with Expedia. I had a booking on Air Canada to China that I was supposed to take next week. As I was within a week of the travel date, I was able to get through the phone tree using the "refunds" prompt. And, to their credit, the hold times were only a few minutes. But from there, it was tough. AC only authorized a voucher. I told Expedia this was not acceptable: I am legally entitled to a refund, and that's what I want and expect. On my third phone call to Expedia, I found a supervisor who was willing to call in to AC and demand the refund. It took her a long time on hold. She agreed to call me back a couple hours later, when she then confirmed the refund. I now have a "Refund Receipt" in my email so, hopefully, the money hits my credit card account pretty quickly.

This experience confirms my long held belief that online travel agents provide poor service. I only use them when they provide a discount I can not get elsewhere. In this case, it was a fare that the agency was able to price that I could not get directly with the airline.
Does anyone have a sense of whether the refund process with Expedia and Orbiz is easier when the ticket is purchased through a corporate travel contract that requires all plane tickets to be booked and issued through Expedia/Orbiz?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've got a non-refundable hotel booking in Lisbon starting 1st May. The hotel is closed and Portugal is currently in a state of emergency until at least 2nd May,

Expedia are offering a voucher rather than a cash refund. I've just been on chat with them, and they've said they need to contact the hotel to get authorisation for a cash refund. The agent phone the hotel - which is of course closed, and just got voicemail.

Expedia are unwilling to do anything without authorisation from the hotel, so we're now in a chicken-and-egg situation.

Chargeback time I think
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone have a sense of whether the refund process with Expedia and Orbiz is easier when the ticket is purchased through a corporate travel contract that requires all plane tickets to be booked and issued through Expedia/Orbiz?
Do you have a private contact number to call the agencies? Obviously, common sense says the travel agency would want to keep that contract and provide the corporation with a "special number" to handle problems. If they don't, your corporation needs a new agent.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've got a non-refundable hotel booking in Lisbon starting 1st May. The hotel is closed and Portugal is currently in a state of emergency until at least 2nd May,

Expedia are offering a voucher rather than a cash refund. I've just been on chat with them, and they've said they need to contact the hotel to get authorisation for a cash refund. The agent phone the hotel - which is of course closed, and just got voicemail.

Expedia are unwilling to do anything without authorisation from the hotel, so we're now in a chicken-and-egg situation.

Chargeback time I think
Chargeback requests to your credit card company almost always make sense. When I initially couldn't reach Expedia about my cancelled flight (because Expedia was bouncing all calls regarding non-immediate travel with their phone tree), I went online and filed a chargeback request with Citi. Citi immediately provided a provisional credit. But they were going to give Expedia until June to respond. Given that these two tickets to China were "real money," I figured I'd increase my chances for a good final result by also trying to get the money back from Expedia directly -- even if it was going to be a PITA. Had I just been having a problem with a $100 hotel room, I might have saved myself the annoyance and just let the chargeback process run its course.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Chargeback requests to your credit card company almost always make sense. When I initially couldn't reach Expedia about my cancelled flight (because Expedia was bouncing all calls regarding non-immediate travel with their phone tree), I went online and filed a chargeback request with Citi. Citi immediately provided a provisional credit. But they were going to give Expedia until June to respond. Given that these two tickets to China were "real money," I figured I'd increase my chances for a good final result by also trying to get the money back from Expedia directly -- even if it was going to be a PITA. Had I just been having a problem with a $100 hotel room, I might have saved myself the annoyance and just let the chargeback process run its course.
Citi by the way is one of the best banks when it comes to handling chargebacks in my opinion vs. other banks I’ve dealt with. Charging back is your right under the Uniformed Commercial Code laws passed in the 70’s.

However, during this crisis I would be careful how you word your chargeback. Right now as you can
imagine, banks are being over run with people charging back. How you word your chargeback may put a lot of responsibility on you to show the bank the charge is invalid. So if you do chargeback, be ready to save emails and communications from Expedia or whoever you’re attempting to get your money back from.

As someone who works in this industry and you want to chargeback, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Apr 26, 2020 at 7:29 am
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Citi by the way is one of the best banks when it comes to handling chargebacks in my opinion vs. other banks I’ve dealt with. Charging back is your right under the Uniformed Commercial Code laws passed in the 70’s.

However, during this crisis I would be careful how you word your chargeback. Right now as you can
imagine, banks are being over run with people charging back. How you word your chargeback may put a lot of responsibility on you to show the bank the charge is invalid. So if you do chargeback, be ready to save emails and communications from Expedia or whoever you’re attempting to get your money back from.

As someone who works in this industry and you want to chargeback, please feel free to PM me.
What is your general advice on chargeback language? I've solved my Expedia problem, but I'm probably going to have to do more chargebacks next month for some early June travel I have booked to and within Europe. I assume if my flights are cancelled, I just tell the credit card company that the flight did not operate and I want my money back. It would get trickier if the flight DOES operate, but there's no reason or practical way to take it. Like it's kind of hard to imagine flying on vacation to Paris in 5 weeks now, even if the governments somehow open the borders by then. That said, I don't see ANY signs that there will be open transatlantic borders by then. I assume I'll get my money back pretty easily if that's the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.