FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Expedia and refunds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/2015499-expedia-refunds.html)

chitink Apr 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Expedia and refunds

I booked a flight on Finnair thru Expedia, generally I’m smarter than that but I couldn’t price it out on their website. Anyway, finnair starts cancelling legs and I can’t get them or Expedia. Today I get an email from Expedia that my flight was cancelled so I get an Expedia credit ($7,000). Umm no I want a refund!

I did a chargeback as I have an email from finnair stating a refund is due, what a hassle.

Often1 Apr 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Best and fastest way. Many are finding that with US banks that if they submit their e-ticket receipt, a copy of the cancellation, of the request for a refund and the denial, that a temporary credit is issued in 1-2 business days and that it becomes permanent in due course.

lovefly88 Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Kenya Airways has denied refund only voucher. Finally was able to contact Expedia yesterday as travel is within 72 hours. Agent said will let me know within 72 hours what response is. Chargeback initiated already. Temporary credit on chase has been applied. Said KQ has up to 60 days to respond.

Often1 Apr 10, 2020 7:35 pm

As you haven't provided any details, including whether it was KQ or you who cancelled, hard to say what will happen if KQ does represent the matter,

If indeed KQ cancelled and then refused your request for a refund, it is unlikely that KQ will bother to respond and the temp. credit will become permanent on the 61st day,

lovefly88 Apr 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Sorry didn’t think of saying that KQ cancelled the flight. Completely on them and Air Seychelles as well.

talked to agent tonight at Expedia and then a supervisor as well. Kept my cool but can only imagine the stressful job they must have and the (rightfully so) frustrates customers. Supervisor was snippy and told me although I booked my ticket through them, there is nothing they can do as they solely facilitated charging me a $2.xx booking fee and passing on my credit card numbers to KQ. Said it would do absolutely no good to call Expedia back because their hands are clean of the ticket.

Told the agent that I initiated a chargeback but though this might be a quicker way to resolve and she said o and that as the tickets were purchased in November the chargeback will likely be declined because more than 60 days. Told her it got a temporary credit already and she was surprised and wished me a good night.

just wanted to add those data points.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32283085)
As you haven't provided any details, including whether it was KQ or you who cancelled, hard to say what will happen if KQ does represent the matter,

If indeed KQ cancelled and then refused your request for a refund, it is unlikely that KQ will bother to respond and the temp. credit will become permanent on the 61st day,

NWplatinum Apr 11, 2020 1:42 am

The best way to go is say you don’t recognize the charge. Then it’s on the merchant’s responsibility to prove the charge.

I also had a ton of orbitz trips booked that I needed canceled. I got an email saying I’d get a 115% in credit if I took a voucher. I emailed their customer care and told them if they didn’t give me a refund I’d chargeback and they rightfully refunded my canceled flights.

Often1 Apr 11, 2020 9:00 am

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 32283188)
Sorry didn’t think of saying that KQ cancelled the flight. Completely on them and Air Seychelles as well.

talked to agent tonight at Expedia and then a supervisor as well. Kept my cool but can only imagine the stressful job they must have and the (rightfully so) frustrates customers. Supervisor was snippy and told me although I booked my ticket through them, there is nothing they can do as they solely facilitated charging me a $2.xx booking fee and passing on my credit card numbers to KQ. Said it would do absolutely no good to call Expedia back because their hands are clean of the ticket.

Told the agent that I initiated a chargeback but though this might be a quicker way to resolve and she said o and that as the tickets were purchased in November the chargeback will likely be declined because more than 60 days. Told her it got a temporary credit already and she was surprised and wished me a good night.

just wanted to add those data points.

Best not to discuss chargebacks or who said what with Expedia or anyone in the merchant chain. Why give them a reason to flag your file for a response when it might have slipped? If you don't get satisfaction when you ask, just politely end the call and take whatever action is is you choose to take.

Do provide a valid reason. Saying that you don't recognize a charge when you do, risks fraud, particularly when Expedia can document the fact that you made a reservation, called in and they have your voice.

There is nothing wrong with a chargeback for "service not provided" and, as pointed out, in the current environment, it is recognized almost immediately.

Gig103 Apr 11, 2020 9:24 am

Expedia also runs AmexTravel and they're giving me the runaround. I initiated a charge back ($5200 for business class tickets!) for services not rendered.
​​​​​

izzik Apr 11, 2020 11:55 am

For those whom Expedia promised a refund, either airfare or hotel, how long has it taken to actually reach your credit card?

hopeful_me Apr 12, 2020 4:50 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 32284613)
For those whom Expedia promised a refund, either airfare or hotel, how long has it taken to actually reach your credit card?

Three weeks for hotel refunds.

NWplatinum Apr 13, 2020 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32284198)

Do provide a valid reason. Saying that you don't recognize a charge when you do, risks fraud, particularly when Expedia can document the fact that you made a reservation, called in and they have your voice.

There is nothing wrong with a chargeback for "service not provided" and, as pointed out, in the current environment, it is recognized almost immediately.

In my experience of doing this for over a decade when a company is giving me the run around, I always just select “transaction not recognized” as this puts the responsibility of proving its valid on the merchant. I have never had a huge merchant such as an airline or Orbitz for that matter sending in a tape of you. Frankly they just don’t have the time.

Feel free to PM me. When you select other reasons, your bank asks you for a bunch of documents, and usually gives YOU the run around instead of the merchant.

Of course I only recommend doing this when you’re rightfully owed a refund.

Originally Posted by hopeful_me (Post 32286297)
Three weeks for hotel refunds.

Orbitz (an Expedia sister company) said it was going to take a month to get my refunds, but when I confronted their tier2 customer service via email and told them I needed the refund processed sooner they ended up giving me back my rightfully owed money in less than 5 days.

TBD Apr 15, 2020 7:04 am

Anyone know how to reach an actual human at Expedia?
My flight is more than 10 days out, but I have a real concern that my airline won't exist by 10 days prior to flight + 30 days for them to process/respond.
I know I can initiate a chargeback, but I'm trying to do this the right way by getting the OTA to do their job.

NWplatinum Apr 16, 2020 2:07 am

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 32295200)
Anyone know how to reach an actual human at Expedia?
My flight is more than 10 days out, but I have a real concern that my airline won't exist by 10 days prior to flight + 30 days for them to process/respond.
I know I can initiate a chargeback, but I'm trying to do this the right way by getting the OTA to do their job.

Email or Twitter. If your travel is within a week I think they will let you speak to them.

LondonElite Apr 16, 2020 2:20 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 32288729)
In my experience of doing this for over a decade when a company is giving me the run around, I always just select “transaction not recognized” as this puts the responsibility of proving its valid on the merchant. I have never had a huge merchant such as an airline or Orbitz for that matter sending in a tape of you. Frankly they just don’t have the time.

Feel free to PM me. When you select other reasons, your bank asks you for a bunch of documents, and usually gives YOU the run around instead of the merchant.

Of course I only recommend doing this when you’re rightfully owed a refund.

Orbitz (an Expedia sister company) said it was going to take a month to get my refunds, but when I confronted their tier2 customer service via email and told them I needed the refund processed sooner they ended up giving me back my rightfully owed money in less than 5 days.

I don't follow. Are you saying that if you book a flight and pay for the ticket with your credit card, and decide to cancel because the flight or timings no longer suit you, you initiate a chargeback with the reason that you don't recognise the charge? I ask because the reason for 'rightfully' being owed money is open to interpretation.

izzik Apr 16, 2020 8:34 am

Called Expedia yesterday because they had canceled an itinerary but did not provide the option for a refund. It was a 2-airline trip: Iberia outbound, AA return flight, AA codeshares and AA ticket number. IB had made 3 schedule changes to the itinerary: first it was a 5 minute sched change, then they moved the outbound flight 24 hrs ahead, then they just canceled the outbound flight altogether.

It took the 1st agent 1 hr to come to the conclusion that the trip *might* be eligible for a full refund. She kept saying that the AA ticket only reflected the 5 min change, thus I would be subject to the cancellation fee per the ticket rules ($400/person). I kept telling her that the IB flight didn't even exist anymore - isn't that proof of cancelation?? Finally, at approx 1hr20m, it was escalated to another help desk. The supervisor requested the refunds on AA.com (2 tickets) and told me that I would have to call Expedia once the refunds were processed by AA, then Expedia would finish processing (Expedia was the entity that charged my credit card). Of course, I wondered how I would bypass the phone system if I was beyond the 72 hrs pre-trip but he assured me that it would not be a problem if my original departure date is in the past.

Note: This flight was part of an Expedia Vacation package and I had also purchased the Expedia Vacation Waiver on top of it.. the T&C state:

If you purchase a Vacation Wavier, you may change or cancel your Trip for any reason one time prior to the Scheduled Start Time, and we will:

• Process that change or cancellation on your behalf with the applicable travel providers (airline, hotel, rental car company, destination activity provider, etc.);
  • Waive our own change or cancellation fees (if any);
  • Return any amounts refunded by the travel provider(s) to you;
  • Refund any amounts withheld by the travel provider as a change or cancel fee;
So, even if they pushed the cancelation fee argument, Expedia would be on the hook for paying it... but that's another 2 hr phone call waiting to happen.

Overall, 2 hrs of my time I'll never get back. My husband wonders why I didn't just initiate a chargeback. I'm trying to follow their rules but it's completely obvious that the first agent was simply stalling for time, probably hoping I would give up.