Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Prices on Flights Change mid-booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: N/A

I hope this is the right place for this. I have been looking at flights to London using Google Flights, which I always use. I have been selecting my departure and then return flight, and once I select the return flight, when it goes to show me the total, the prices shoots up about $300 from the quoted price when booking.

I thought that was weird, so I tried Expedia, Travelocity, Momondo—all of them had the same issue. I have only seen it happen during the dates that I am looking in May 2019. I thought maybe it was tied to my cookies, so I tried the same search on my phone in incognito and not connected to Wifi, and it still happened. It does not happen on flights to London outside of these dates; it also does not happen to other destinations.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I have never had this happen before, and it has now happened the last three times I’ve gone to look at flights for this trip. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What dates and what is your origin?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
did you wait a day and try again? The fares that these sites are pulling might be cached (stored temporarily for quicker access) but when you get to the final stage it prices from live inventory and availability/fares have changed. Could also just be wrong inventory and again it checks against live inventory on the final step
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thankfully it seems to have resolved itself today; it also wasn't doing it for my husband. Prices look much more consistent today and aren't changing. Thank you for the help!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

The dates are around May 9-18 of 2018, and Portland, OR, is the origin. It looks to have resolved now-- I think the issue was the prices being cached. Phew!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.