Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Tripsta Scam on Emirates Airline and Consumer

Tripsta Scam on Emirates Airline and Consumer

Old Feb 7, 18, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Angry Tripsta Scam on Emirates Airline and Consumer

I booked an Emirates Airline ticket on 22nd December to fly from Dublin to Dubai through Tripsta Travel Agency using Sky scanner.

However, I was notified on 28th December from Tripsta subject "Booking: F92901242 - Urgent Information [ID#b64-5626781]" that the ticket purchased was cancelled. Details below from email received.

"Please be advised that your booking F92901242 has been canceled by Emirates Airlines directly, as it seems there is another duplicate booking in their system for the same passenger with identical flight itinerary details. You are kindly requested to confirm the validity of the second reservation with Emirates Airlines directly.
As soon as you verify that the second reservation is valid and confirmed, kindly reply to this e-mail in order for our agency to contact the airline company again and provide you with the relevant information for cancellation and refund of ticket number 1769666099804."

I contacted Emirates and they said it was a duplicate name issue as another travel agency group had in fact pre-reserved a seat under the same name. After confirming the validation of the second reservation I immediately followed up with Tripsta to look for refund of ticket.

It is now the 7th February and despite emailing every week for updates Tripsta have informed me that Emirates have to refund for the ticket purchased before they can process reimbursement. However, after speaking to Emirates several times they told me no fee was charged for that ticket and that Tripsta charged my credit card of 550euro and should reimburse for the cancellation of ticket. Emirates stated the have no objection for Tripsta to make reimbursement.

Tripsta, continue to ignore my requests, send generic email responses from different agents and refuse to reimburse the amount owed.

It has been a terrible customer experience and its totally unacceptable to have travel operators like Tripsta walk away and scam consumers and tarnish the brand of Emirates airlines

How can this be resolved and where are my customer rights?

Thanks,

Conor
Old Feb 7, 18, 1:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Where are you based? I'm assuming Ireland. If so, then just contact your credit card company and tell them what has happened, and they will refund you. Let them fight it out with the TA.
sydtogla likes this.
Old Feb 7, 18, 2:09 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Sorry to hear your unfortunate experience.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure to catch the whole story.
1/ Did you go into different websites (other than Tripsta) to get quotations, and one of them made a pre-booking without your knowledge ?
1.2/ Which booking was cancelled ? Tripsta one or the other one ?
2/ Or did Tripsta made a mistake by booking twice ?
3/ Were you initially charged one trip or two trips ?
4/ How did Tripsta justify the 550 EUR ? Is this change fees (or whatever) ?
Old Feb 7, 18, 2:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
How did you pay for the second, valid reservation, do you have an e-ticket and booking reference?

Credit card dispute is likely the best method, although not as easy as in the US if you can show the communication with the merchant, including their admittance of failure to deliver the service (cancelled ticket) and subsequent lack of action/response then your bank will probably agree to your dispute.
Old Feb 7, 18, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
How did you pay for the second, valid reservation, do you have an e-ticket and booking reference?

Credit card dispute is likely the best method, although not as easy as in the US if you can show the communication with the merchant, including their admittance of failure to deliver the service (cancelled ticket) and subsequent lack of action/response then your bank will probably agree to your dispute.
The bank have informed me that I must be refunded by the Travel agency to get reimbursed. I live in UAE.
Old Feb 7, 18, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
Sorry to hear your unfortunate experience.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure to catch the whole story.
1/ Did you go into different websites (other than Tripsta) to get quotations, and one of them made a pre-booking without your knowledge ?
1.2/ Which booking was cancelled ? Tripsta one or the other one ?
2/ Or did Tripsta made a mistake by booking twice ?
3/ Were you initially charged one trip or two trips ?
4/ How did Tripsta justify the 550 EUR ? Is this change fees (or whatever) ?
Hi, Thanks for your interest.

I booked the flight using Tripsta and after they issued my e-ticket a few days later they informed me that there was a duplicate name and hence would cancel the eticket they issued me and to seek clarification from Emirates airline about the duplicate name.

It turn out that another travel agency company completely separate to Tripsta had pre-reserved the name for the flight but the seat wasn't purchased yet. After Tripsta cancelled my ticket, and Emirates explained the situation I had to inform the other travel agency company to ensure they kept that seat and I bought the ticket. This was a completely separate transaction.

The flight for the ticket purchased from Tripsta cost 550 EUR.
Old Feb 7, 18, 6:55 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Conor123 View Post
Hi, Thanks for your interest.

I booked the flight using Tripsta and after they issued my e-ticket a few days later they informed me that there was a duplicate name and hence would cancel the eticket they issued me and to seek clarification from Emirates airline about the duplicate name.

It turn out that another travel agency company completely separate to Tripsta had pre-reserved the name for the flight but the seat wasn't purchased yet. After Tripsta cancelled my ticket, and Emirates explained the situation I had to inform the other travel agency company to ensure they kept that seat and I bought the ticket. This was a completely separate transaction.

The flight for the ticket purchased from Tripsta cost 550 EUR.
I'm a little bit lost here. You talk as if the second booking appeared out of nowhere.
But you ordered this second booking. Right ? Moreover, after booking at Tripsta. Right ? Otherwise you would have kept the Tripsta booking and cancelled the second mysterious one.
Anyway, this doesn't change the fact that Trispta should refund you the cancelled booking, but, you need to read the conditions again. You bought your ticket from Tripsta with the conditions of Tripsta. It's not because EK refunded 100% to Tripsta that Tripsta must refund you the same, how unpleasant it may seem.
Old Feb 7, 18, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
I'm a little bit lost here. You talk as if the second booking appeared out of nowhere.
But you ordered this second booking. Right ? Moreover, after booking at Tripsta. Right ? Otherwise you would have kept the Tripsta booking and cancelled the second mysterious one.
Anyway, this doesn't change the fact that Trispta should refund you the cancelled booking, but, you need to read the conditions again. You bought your ticket from Tripsta with the conditions of Tripsta. It's not because EK refunded 100% to Tripsta that Tripsta must refund you the same, how unpleasant it may seem.
Well terms might be restrictive but I'd expect when a carrier, seemingly unilaterally, (as far as Tripsta is concerned) cancels a ticket there is a refund due. It wasn't a voluntary cancellation by OP
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:08 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
My only initial comment at this time Conor123 would be to remove your reference number & ticket number from the publicly visible forum.

S
Old Mar 19, 18, 11:49 pm

Help pls

I booked a ticket via Tripsta from KL to London about half an hour ago, filled in my credit card details and made the payment. However, till now the "Please wait while your payment is being verified" message has been showing on the site, and it's making me a bit worried. Did my payment go through? What do you suggest I should do?
Old Mar 23, 18, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Dora Hashim View Post
I booked a ticket via Tripsta from KL to London about half an hour ago, filled in my credit card details and made the payment. However, till now the "Please wait while your payment is being verified" message has been showing on the site, and it's making me a bit worried. Did my payment go through? What do you suggest I should do?
Call them is the obvious answer...?

The next obvious question is: Do you not get an SMS from your bank when your account/card is charged? Check your pending authorisations/charges on your online banking/banking app. Open a new window and open your tripsta account and check what the status of the booking in your account is, if it appears. Did you get an email with a booking/payment confirmation?

If all the above is no, then probably not. Do you usually have to enter an OTP through Verified by Visa or Mastercard SecureCode, did you do that? If not then you definitely weren't charged.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:20 am

Airline reservation systems should be programmed to purge only unpaid reservations and keep ticketed reservations this is your alibi. You could say that a pre reservation was made against your will. I always link a Frequent Flier account with a ticketed rezervation to flag the airline system to hopefully not auto cancel a reservation along with seat assignments special.meals and Known Traveller Numbers etc that pre reservations would have. I tbink the process should be manual and you get a warning 24chorus before the cancellation to call the airline to cancel the unpaid one. Usually unpaid reservations clear witbin 24 hours. Also I ask the airline before tickeying if they have any duplicate reservations under my name. To avoid any conflicts I give a date 2 days before or after my real date and let the system purge the unused reserations while my current one tickets.

Whose responsibility is it if there has been an increase on the fare? The passengers. So its incumbant to know if any duplicate reservations exist to avoid all of them being cancelled with and without your knowledge. Also t
its important to.monitor your book8ngs via the airlines Manage My Bolkings section and sign up for flight alerts due to schedule change or cancellations and confirm the ticket# online.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 22, 18, 2:18 pm

When I booked my tickets on Online Travel Agencies I get the message on the itinerary that this is an itinerary only and that it can take up to 24 hours for a ticket# to be issued. I will call up the airline to see that they have a Confirmation# and that the itinerary is the same as I booked on the online travel agency's website. Then I call up the Online Agency to confirm that my payment information has been processed and have them e-mail me the E-Ticket with Ticket#.

After I get the Ticket I will then call the airline again to confirm that the TIcket# is the same and then add my Frequent Flier miles, Seat Preferences Meal Requests, Known Traveler Number Etc.

So it helps to confirm the same details with the airline. I am very OCD when it comes to booking and confirming that the vendor has the same details rather than to show up at the airport without a reservation or an issued ticket. I will then add my ticket to my Airline Online Profile and check for any schedule changes and call the travel agent to change flights if needed.
Old Sep 29, 18, 3:04 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
We are sorry to inform you that we have shut down our operations and no longer sell flight tickets or other travel related services.

Wonder why???

Search this Thread