Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Free Cancellation Hotels.Com, TripAdvisor.Com and Booking.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I had a great experience previously with Agoda.com when booking a hotel with free cancellation and then subsequently canceling the booking. In the first instance, I paid in advance and on cancellation, I was refunded the identical amount I paid. On another instance, when one could "pay at the hotel", I canceled and there was no charge.

Now, I have found a HOSTEL at Iceland (with "pay at the hotel") option at hotels.com, Tripadvisor.com, and Booking.com. If I cancel within the stated period, will there truly be no charges to my credit card account? I ask because I have had no prior experience with hotels.com, Tripadvisor.com, and Booking.com. I assume they do not impose a "cancellation fee" when they state "free cancellation".

Please let me know your experience or opinion.

Thank you.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've successfully cancelled with booking.com and encountered no cancellation fees. But do really read the fine print, and maybe screen shot or print out a copy when you book.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've done free cancellation bookings on Hotels.com & Booking.com without issue. Just be sure to read the fine print on the booking before purchasing to be clear on when you're to be charged and when you have to cancel by.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have cancelled "pay at the hotel" bookings with Booking.com and Agoda numerous times without issues (but obviously within the deadline for cancellation). As already stated you need to read the fine print about cancellation deadline.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
My experience with Hotels.com has been the same as you described with Agoda - any time I’ve booked a refundable or pay-at-the-hotel reservation and canceled before the deadline, I’ve received a full refund (or not been charged in case of a non-prepaid booking).
Old May 29, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
In some cases I've been charged at hotels.com in advance on "free cancellation" reservations - but when they offer free cancellations and I've subsequently cancelled all the monies were properly re-credited back to my cc.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:50 pm

Priceline, Agoda and Booking are all owned by Priceline and have had no problems with any of them, the only difference is Priceline will charge you up front and most hotels on the other two are book now pay later. ,
I will not ever use any Expedia owned companies which include Hotels, Travelocity, Venere , Orbitz.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
Not all Priceline bookings require prepayment. As noted they are part of the booking.com group and all of those separate sites share inventory.

The thing to watch out for with cancellations from any third party site - they may heavily advertise cancellation with no penalty and they may not charge one but the hotel may have a different policy and can still charge you. So very important to read all the fine print.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:16 pm

I've cancelled many bookings with booking.com when my plans have changed, but ALWAYS make sure you're booking the refundable rate. I accidentally booked a non-refundable rate once, but realized it within minutes and cancelled and rebooked. Take your time, do screen shots and read the fine print. Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.