Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline Ends Name You Own Price Airfare Bidding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:30 pm
B1
Original Poster

"The Priceline feature was officially removed on Sept. 1. The company said that the reason for the removal was customers just weren't using it. Brigit Zimmerman, PCLN's senior vice president of air and vacation packages, said it's "a heck of a lot easier," without the feature. Priceline also couldn't get much use out of the name-your-own-airfare option because of the lack of airlines . When it launched in the 1990s, there were several different airlines competing for passengers. However, the switch to four major airlines has resulted in less customers using the feature.... The name-your-own-price feature is still present for car rentals and hotel rooms. However, these have also been seeing less use lately, reports The Wall Street Journal."

Read more: http://investorplace.com/2016/09/pri...#ixzz4K5TkKjPv
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:55 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'm not shocked. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
It was always a really tough proposition for me, given the incredibly high variability of what you were bidding for.

If airfare bidding had let you put in a relatively narrow (say 2-3 hour) departure and arrival window, then it might have been useful.

The way it was structured, it was like having hotel bidding for "a room, or possibly a tent, somewhere in a 30 mile radius of a given location, for either tonight or tomorrow night."
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Definitely a sad product departure. They was a place for such fares (which were way better than any standby product). I fully agree that the product use was dropping rapidly over the past few years.

In they heyday, you would get opaque bookings from almost every major airline including VX, UA, AA, DL, etc. And you were able to get miles on many of them..

I think vacation packages are really the only way left to get opaque fares without using consolidators.

This is coming from someone who had a Priceline fuel card back in the day (station marketing dollars paid for the fuel discount).

They still have a great co-brand card with Barclays.

I can see that bidding on hotels and cars is dropping because they offer so many express deals. On the car rental side, they continue to have good access to inventory with Avis/Budget and others, but the rate differential has not been as dramatic. On hotels, it is hard to justify the $5 per night savings from Express Deals with the risk of getting a property with not as good rating or guaranteed benefits.

And we all know Priceline's massive revenue is now mostly based on retail purchases not the opaque stuff.

Rasheed
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
End of an era.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:49 am

After reading about someone who booked a weekend trip, arrive Friday at 11:00 pm and return Sunday at 6:00 am, I realized this was not a viable product for me. How many folks have the flexibility of potentially losing two whole days to travel?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:29 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by hammie
After reading about someone who booked a weekend trip, arrive Friday at 11:00 pm and return Sunday at 6:00 am, I realized this was not a viable product for me. How many folks have the flexibility of potentially losing two whole days to travel?
For short trips like that, PL bidding was almost never the right product. For ones of a longer duration, it was a much more viable solution, but only if the traveler was truly flexible enough to make it work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.