Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Mayor: Expedia retaliated with "Daily Beast" article & by delisting city hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Here's a real interesting article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Columbus, Georgia is one of the cities that has sued Expedia over lodging taxes.

Two short quotes from the article:

Columbus, Ga., Mayor Teresa Tomlinson says it’s more than coincidence that 17 of 30 cities ranked this week as America’s “brokest” by online news site The Daily Beast have litigation pending against online travel company Expedia, reports the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

and
In Columbus’ case, Expedia and Hotels.com have delisted Columbus so that people searching for hotels in the area are directed to other nearby cities, the Ledger-Enquirer reports. Tomlinson said the Daily Beast rankings seem to be an extension of that corporate retribution, the paper reported. Columbus was ranked at the top of The Daily Beast’s ‘brokest’ city list released Tuesday.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:19 pm
In memoriam

Expedia is definitely a bully. That's been their longtime m.o. for companies who piss them off. I can remember years ago when Intercontinental Hotels Group stopped giving them rates to book because Expedia showed (maybe still does) a hotel sold out when it was only sold out of rates IHG gave them to book. IHG finally relented when they realized how much business they were no longer getting from Expedia. I suspect other pissed off at Expedia travel providers have taken similar action. Over the years there have been many travel articles regarding disputes between airlines, hotels and Expedia. American Airlines and Orbitz are also at odds.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:31 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
In Columbus’ case, Expedia and Hotels.com have delisted Columbus so that people searching for hotels in the area are directed to other nearby cities, the Ledger-Enquirer reports. Tomlinson said the Daily Beast rankings seem to be an extension of that corporate retribution, the paper reported. Columbus was ranked at the top of The Daily Beast’s ‘brokest’ city list released Tuesday.
I have a feeling that is really going to hurt Expedia. If someone wants to stay in Columbus, they are not going to believe it when Expedia tells them that there are no hotel rooms available in the city. They will go to another site and see that there are plenty of rooms available, and Expedia will lose credibility. Note that Columbus is 220 sq mi, so it's not convenient to stay in a neighboring city.

Oh, and I just tried this, and it failed to redirect me to nearby cities. It instead tried to redirect me to cities in other states named Columbus.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Interesting. I googled "columbus ga expedia" and found several articles, but not from 2011.

Here is one from September 2008 over conflicts on occupancy taxes which apparently started in 2006. This states that a GA Superior court rules in C'bus's favor:
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...aColumbus.html

One from June 2009 showing that the GA Supreme Court affirmed the Superior Court ruling against Expedia:
http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...dia-hotel-tax/

Another one from September 2009 over the same conflict, indicating c'bus was delisted by expedia and hotels.com:
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...olumbusGA.html

Another one from March 2010 showing Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz had delisted c'bus due to conflicts over occupancy taxes:
http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...orbitz/83536/1

Apparently, this has been going one for the last 5 years, at least.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:00 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by cbn42
I have a feeling that is really going to hurt Expedia. If someone wants to stay in Columbus...
I hope you are being sarcastic. Columbus, GA isn't exactly a metropolis.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:17 pm

the population definition of a metropolis is 50,000
Columbus has 190,000
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:38 pm
In memoriam

Your useless comment is simply stalking. Ever consider that's an outdated definition? Of course not because then you would have nothing to post which tries to refute me.

Get a life, Sylvia.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
the population definition of a metropolis is 50,000
Columbus has 190,000
And Columbus has a large military presence at Fort Benning. That will generate a lot of hotel nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.