Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotwire Cars: Can Exclude Alamo 'Round Trip Ticket' BS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotwire Cars: Can Exclude Alamo 'Round Trip Ticket' BS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Sheryl
When was the last time Hotwire was cheaper than Priceline for a rental car?
When was either HW or PL cheaper than conventional bookings booked well in advance using various discount codes that one is eligible for? I have tried HW and PL multiple times for cars and have never (ever) found them cheaper than what I can get through other sources. And the other sources are fully refundable and cancellable for no charge. Even after booking, I check HW and PL on occasion and they are still always higher.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:25 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Of course there is a corollary. Now it's not so blind, because you can identify the rate as from Alamo.

Ex: At City X, Hotwire shows economy cars at $50 plus fees. Click the section for debit cards, local customer. The rate in the red box now goes to $60. The conclusion is the lower rate you saw was through Alamo.
Originally Posted by fti
When was either HW or PL cheaper than conventional bookings booked well in advance using various discount codes that one is eligible for? I have tried HW and PL multiple times for cars and have never (ever) found them cheaper than what I can get through other sources. And the other sources are fully refundable and cancellable for no charge. Even after booking, I check HW and PL on occasion and they are still always higher.
People don't always book their rental cars well in advance because people don't always know their plans well in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:10 pm
B1

Originally Posted by fti
Not true - there can be no such generalization. Here's an easy test: Try booking for EWR for any weekend in the next few months. You'll find Hotwire is half the price of any of the agencies, which disproves the proposition. It always pays to check the possibilities. As for Priceline bids, if you book a hotel they will list suggested bids, but you can only try if you don't know. In general, Hotwire is cheaper than the best bid price on cars at Priceline, unlike hotels. It also pays to try anyway, just be sure you compare the bottom line, not the per day price.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:47 pm

Most of the time I can beat Hotwire using PL by at least $5 per day.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:07 am

While I am a proponent of PL (occasionally even for air travel), I have NEVER successfully bid for a car; they almost always seem to be at the same price as the major renters. Carrentals.com usually has a better price (but have to recheck often for changes); Hotwire often beats them in a same-day (of booking) comparison. But I hate to pay in advance when there is a possibility of a car type not being available, or times change due to airline issues (depending on the place, they can be inflexible).
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
HW Deletes Option to Exclude 'Round Trip Ticket' BS

Back to the same-o same-o for Hotwire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.