Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Bidding for air tickets on Priceline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:04 pm

Does priceline accept pre-paid visa cards?. Can travel originate in a Canadian City?. I am a recent college grad going for a job interview on my own expense (am on a shoestring budget) from Ottawa, Canada to Detroit and want to use Priceline 1-2 days before departure in the next week or so.

Last edited by azzaro; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm Reason: Question about origin (city) on Priceline
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:47 am

Travel can originate in a Canadian city. I'm not sure about prepaid VISA cards, but I don't see why not, for air travel. Keep in mind that you have zero guarantee of actually getting a cheap flight, so don't hold out too much hope. If you can't get a cheap flight, what would you do? Maybe Greyhound would work.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by azzaro
Does priceline accept pre-paid visa cards?. Can travel originate in a Canadian City?. I am a recent college grad going for a job interview on my own expense (am on a shoestring budget) from Ottawa, Canada to Detroit and want to use Priceline 1-2 days before departure in the next week or so.
You can read this thread on Canadian cards on priceline.com:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...addresses.html

Also remember a few things:

1) You cannot choose your travel times
2) If your budget is less than the lowest fare for that route (regardless of date), bidding will likely not work.

Rasheed
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel
Travel can originate in a Canadian city. I'm not sure about prepaid VISA cards, but I don't see why not, for air travel. Keep in mind that you have zero guarantee of actually getting a cheap flight, so don't hold out too much hope. If you can't get a cheap flight, what would you do? Maybe Greyhound would work.
Yeah..it did not work..I put in bids of $150 and $175..all I can afford.
So yeah..greyhound it is for me (a long 15 hour trip-one way!).
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:25 pm

I don't use Priceline because I have found that I get better fares by going online to various websites including the airline's own website. I don't mind paying a bit more to book through the airline's website as all of my info has been stored there.

Furthermore if there is a change of flight I am made aware of that. Also I like to chose the times that I fly as well as during IRROPS Priceline tickets could get the lowest treatment possible. I would much rather hold an Expedia ticket or even better a ticket purchased on AA.com.

As for cancelling a ticket with the airline's website I can hold the reservation for 24 hours, cancel within 24 hours with no penalty. This is worth gold. Also with Priceline once the ticket is bought its impossible to use the travel funds for a new ticket. With Expedia or booking directly through the airline at least I can use the funds with the $150 change fee+fare difference .

I would rather use Southwest before heading over to Priceline.

For hotels I would rather book via Expedia, directly through the hotel website so that way I know exactly where I'm staying. If I pay $50-$100 more for a better room in a better location so be it. Why should I be subjected to the worst room with Priceline. A bad nights sleep for paying $50 less to be put in the worst room is not good. In fact if Priceline cannot get me a non-smoking room in a quiet location then thats all the more reason not to use them.

I tried Priceline and Hotwire for air and hotel and did not like the schedule they provided. Now for rental cars Hotwire is good. I can get a full size for $17 in Hawaii. So what if they chose Budget, Dollar etc. At least I get a good car at a discount. Rental cars are pretty hard to mess up. In the worst case if the agency cannot provide me with the car then they can either upgrade me free of charge or reverse the fees and I will go to another agency.

Not so with a hotel that I will be staying in a room facing the Air Conditioning Units on the first floor.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:33 am

In fact if Priceline cannot get me a non-smoking room in a quiet location then thats all the more reason not to use them.
I get this practically every time I use Priceline - just as often as I get it with any other booking method. Neither do I get the worst rooms. In certain markets, Priceline is not too great, but in many cases, it is an excellent choice.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

One-way is now available. I have no idea when it was added, but it is available directly to start a NYOP bid, and it now comes up when you do a retail one-way search as an alternative option.

Priceline is making a pitch for NYOP airfare. They indicate that there is inventory out there (which to me is the product's biggest problem).

http://ir.priceline.com/releasedetai...leaseID=711016

Here is another website where they preview flight savings for NYOP: www.priceline.com/insidetrack

Rasheed
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by rasheed
One-way is now available. I have no idea when it was added, but it is available directly to start a NYOP bid, and it now comes up when you do a retail one-way search as an alternative option.

Priceline is making a pitch for NYOP airfare. They indicate that there is inventory out there (which to me is the product's biggest problem).

http://ir.priceline.com/releasedetai...leaseID=711016

Here is another website where they preview flight savings for NYOP: www.priceline.com/insidetrack

Rasheed
I first stumbled onto the OW NYOP option around the end of July.

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=7006&

I've given it a try a couple times for a one-way trip to Florida in January, but I don't think any NYOP inventory was yet available for my routing, date, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:00 am

Birmingham has everything that a tourist could wish for that culture,history,beautiful parks & a large number of museums.It is an ideal destination for city trip.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:53 pm

mojeh.com

Priceline.com allows you to bid on airline tickets through its"name your own price"campaign.Airlines often allow the company to sell empty plane seats for them.This may mean major savings if priceline accepts your bid.with a little research,you can ensure you place a competitive bid with a higher cance of accentance.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by BEAV
I agree with you in theory for the reasons you state. In reality, I just made 4 NYOP test bids using lowball prices to ensure they wouldn't be accepted!

In each test bid I used outbound dates of tomorrow (Jan 12) with a return on Jan 19.

SFO-JFK. Bid $100. Received Counteroffer of $245.86. Best retail is $631 for nonstop or $465 for connecting flight.

SFO-IAD. Bid $100. Received Counteroffer of $297.00. Best retail is $1099 for nonstop or $571 connecting flight.

SFO-SEA. Bid $50. Received Counteroffer of $170.34. Best retail is $244 for nonstop.

SFO-ORD. Bid $100. Received counteroffer of $370.31. Best retail is $683 for nonstop or $500 connecting flight.

The taxes/fees on all counteroffers indicated a nonstop itinerary. The counteroffer rates posted above include all taxes/fees.

Airlines are giving Priceline inventory to sell under NYOP. At least on Wednesdays in January.

The savings for last minute travel NYOP vs. retail are fairly substantial IMO.

Any recommemdations on trying to bid on a trip for LAX - NYC for New Years 2012
departing Fri Dec 28th - Jan 2nd.

From looks of it. Retail prices are about $550. What is a reasonable low ball bid
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:05 pm

recommendation on bidding Dec 28- Jan 2nd New Years Eve.

From looks of it. Retail prices are about $550. What is a reasonable low ball bid
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:20 pm

As I mentioned on another post, you can basically do an infinite number of Priceline bids. Just start with a new city every time, and there are obviously dozens around LAX, regardless of whether the city has an airport. I would start with about $225, but definitely lowball.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by jaypee21

Bidding is free. And as WillTravel says "...you can basically do an infinite number...". 50% off is a very reasonable lowball, IMO. I purely hate leaving money on the table, so always start way low when I've the time and bids.

Romelle
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Still alive

In general, I am seeing the best opportunity for NYOP tickets in the last minute market (within 2 weeks of departure).

The taxes and fees are mixed up now, so you cannot tell if you have a stop or non-stop as easily anymore.

When you do a retail search, if you see a listing for an air plus car package deal, that usually means availablity of opaque tickets.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.