Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

buying last-minute intl air tix - has it worked for you??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

First-timer here. I've been in a purgatory of sorts for the past 2 weeks, trying to figure out the cheapest way to fly from London to LA for a good friend's wedding in late July (priciest time to fly, lucky me!). (Insert emoticon weeping uncontrollably.)

Anyway, I am tentatively looking at July 13th - 27th as my travel dates. I noticed that if I were to buy a ticket to LA 2 days from now (June 24) it's WAY cheaper. I suppose the airlines try to fill up the remaining seats/cancellations.

Have you ever tried doing this in mid-July? Has it worked for you? Or should I "cut my losses" and book whatever is cheapest right now? I don't know how likely it is that an airline would be scrambling to fill a flight mid-July. Any other suggestions??

BTW, I've been using SkyScanner, TravelSupermarket and Opodo to monitor prices. I'm hoping (against hope) to do a return for less than 650 .

Thanks!!

PS - should I have posted this in the Budget Travel forum instead??

Last edited by verushka; Jun 21, 2010 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
KLM is showing $969 for your dates, which is close to your 650GPB.

You might give Priceline a try. Do though read all the fine print about when in the day your flight might occur, and watch the page where all the taxes and fees are added in to your bid.

Romelle
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

I just tried KLM again, and what they don't say on that first page is that the prices are completely different once you go to book. I guess they don't include taxes etc when showing search results. And re: Priceline, I was all excited about them, but it seems like I can't use the website from the UK! Rrr! If there's a way for UK travelers to do the Priceline thing, let me know!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:19 pm

KLM is truly bookable at the price Romelle mentioned on Orbitz (or within a few dollars). Not sure what the KLM website says. But that seems like a pretty good rate, and I'd probably go for it.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by verushka
..... And re: Priceline, I was all excited about them, but it seems like I can't use the website from the UK! Rrr! If there's a way for UK travelers to do the Priceline thing, let me know!
I am not a UK traveler, but I have booked Priceline (hotels) from UK, Italy, Germany....May be you need an US credit card(?), which I have. You may try it again.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:19 am

I think Priceline US does not support tickets leaving from anywhere but the US.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Willtravel is right, I was wrong. You can't bid on flights originating in the UK, even when on priceline.co.uk.

I'm seeing $982 on Orbitz right now. A good price for this time of year, and a pretty decent schedule too. I would suggest you book. It is more likely to get worse than better.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.