Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

we're in Oz, need Car in Calgary--good site??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:50 am
Original Poster

We want to rent a car in Cgy from June 24-July 8 th. Any suggestions? I know it's Stampede week as well. Was just curious if anyone had any suggestions of a good/stable website. Wonder if I need the extra insurance? we do have 1 mill personal liability on our travel insurance.....Lisa
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:58 pm
B1

You don't need a car in Calgary itself as they have decent transit.Your credit card should have the equivalent of CDW and your own auto insurance should cover it. Your credit card comes with information you should read about car rentals. Also check with your insurance agent about any specifics. Make no assumptions. Check Expedia.ca for an overview of prices. You can bid on Priceline.com. You should also take a look at Hotwire.com.. The general thing is to avoid any extra charges if you can as they are all profit centers for the rental company, from insurance, to fuel to GPS.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I would double check the advice given above to see if your auto insurance covers those things on an out-of-country trip.

I use Orbitz.com for car rentals, they give a good grid that helps you compare prices. It looks like Budget, Alamo, National, Avis, and Hertz all have rental counters in the Calgary airport. You could also check their web sites. For your dates, prices on Orbitz range from $376US for an economy car from Budget to $1,880US for a convertible from Hertz.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:58 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Dollar.com will more than likely have the lowest rates, for your dates in CAD $360.60 is where the prices start for unlimited KM. Also be careful that he car company is offering unlimited KM some do not, especially during the summer months. There may also be restrictions on where the car may be taken. Restricted to the Province you are renting in, restricted to the surrounding Provinces, may or may not take the vehicle into the USA. I would suggest you work directly with the car companies on this and not a third party. Be sure if you book that the price is in CAD$ not US $ because you will pay in CAD $
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfo
Dollar.com will more than likely have the lowest rates, for your dates in CAD $360.60 is where the prices start for unlimited KM.
Dollar rate is $360 + taxes and fees = $506.98

Budget is 384.25 including all taxes and fees for the same car class (compact)

travelocity.ca and orbitz are decent sites. Then go to the car rental forums to look for discount codes
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:24 am
Original Poster

We're staying at my parents farm near Strathmore so will not be able to rely on Transit system as we'll be 33 kms from city itself..
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
The advice you have been given so far is from North Americans. They usually have LDW/CDW coverage via their credit cards. I don't know about you Aussies, but for Europeans, only a few Platinum cards have that. So please check that, and maybe consult a webpage/forum based in Oz for answers most relevant to you.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:55 pm
B1

I want to emphasize that you should check with Expedia.ca (not .com) as they have contract rates with Budget and Dollar that are often much lower than you can get from the companies directly. This is not true for every city but it was for several in my experience. Budget will not match the rate quoted by Expedia.ca because it is a special contract. Your own car insurance should have a clause in it or one can be added to match the coverage you have at home,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.