Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
However, Indigo does not even have a loyalty program. I don't see how they can blend in. The only realistic candidate from India would be Jet Airways.

Another practical issue is that an India-based carrier would lead to huge influx of elites and overcrowding in lounges at major destinations. Therefore, one should be admitted only upon the condition that they build extra lounges at airports like LHR and NYC. (Same would be true of China based carriers.)

Quality carriers from smaller countries seems to be the better strategy for now.
really?-if Oneworld is going to select airlines based on the number of lounges they have then they might as well give up.

as for overcrowding Oneworld has the most lounges per passenger carried

and by your definition should not AA be building lounges in expensive HKG?!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I don't think that is a big deal. IIRC S7 also did not have a FFP.
S7 does indeed have a FF program, though I can't speak to how good or bad it is.

http://www.s7.ru/home/priority/ffpAb...t#.USv5yjCRXoI
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Kachjc
...by your definition should not AA be building lounges in expensive HKG?!!
AA doesn't even fly to HKG. Why should it have a lounge there?

Of course, AA should have lounges in major airports it flies to, LHR, NRT etc. Which it does. Even if it didn't, as a founding member of OW it would be grandfathered in.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
AA doesn't even fly to HKG. Why should it have a lounge there?

Of course, AA should have lounges in major airports it flies to, LHR, NRT etc. Which it does. Even if it didn't, as a founding member of OW it would be grandfathered in.
neither does Indigo fly to NYC!!

hence the flaw in your argument
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Kachjc
neither does Indigo fly to NYC!! ... hence the flaw in your argument
I see. That would certainly be a flawed argument, but I didn't make it.

Re Indigo, I said it does not have FF program so not attractive candidate. Of course IMHO, and others may disagree.

I also said that the only possibility for OW to look at (not realistic possibility, mind you) would be Jet Airways and the lounge comment was in that context. Perhaps it did not come through clearly.

If you disagree with me on anything, you are right. Let's leave at that and move on.

Last edited by aktchi; Feb 26, 2013 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:11 pm

oh cool

sorry for the trouble

I think Oneworld needs to get some African carriers as well (regional ones) as well as more european and chinese ones
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Today's announcement, which follows a thorough review by LATAM Airlines Group of its alliance strategy, comes as oneworld's undergoes its biggest expansion drive for five years, with the addition of:
airberlin, Europe's seventh largest airline, in March 2012.
Malaysia Airlines, one of South East Asia's most frequent award winners, on 1 February 2013.
Qatar Airways in the year ahead, as the first of the Big Three Gulf carriers to join any of the global airline alliances.
SriLankan Airlines, also in the year ahead, as the first airline in the subcontinent to join any of the global airline alliances.
The proposed switch from Star to oneworld by US Airways as it combines with oneworld founder member American Airlines as part of their planned merger, subject to necessary approvals.

I think this means they're full as 15 airlines are a good number and we won't see new members for a while.
This is my impression and interpretation, what do you think?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Today's announcement, which follows a thorough review by LATAM Airlines Group of its alliance strategy, comes as oneworld's undergoes its biggest expansion drive for five years, with the addition of:
airberlin, Europe's seventh largest airline, in March 2012.
Malaysia Airlines, one of South East Asia's most frequent award winners, on 1 February 2013.
Qatar Airways in the year ahead, as the first of the Big Three Gulf carriers to join any of the global airline alliances.
SriLankan Airlines, also in the year ahead, as the first airline in the subcontinent to join any of the global airline alliances.
The proposed switch from Star to oneworld by US Airways as it combines with oneworld founder member American Airlines as part of their planned merger, subject to necessary approvals.

I think this means they're full as 15 airlines are a good number and we won't see new members for a while.
This is my impression and interpretation, what do you think?
I would add three to complement the full circle:
1>, Emirates (yes I know)
2>, Air China or China Eastern (Difficult task. But plenty star defectors around)
3>, Jetairways or Air India (Nobody likes AI but it is useful to bring up some business and useful to fill the hole. If Iberia is allowed in oneworld I do not see why AI is not allowed)

Then I would say oneworld has the best network covered.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chongcao
2>, Air China or China Eastern (Difficult task. But plenty star defectors around)
3>, Jetairways or Air India (Nobody likes AI but it is useful to bring up some business and useful to fill the hole. If Iberia is allowed in oneworld I do not see why AI is not allowed)

I think CA is only a matter of time
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP

1> I'd like it too, but we both know it's impossible
2> I think a Chinese carrier in oneworld is much more a political issue, let's see if with the renovation of government board something happens.
3> I agree with you and I think this would be the most likely market to be added
4> I'd like to have an African carrier in oneworld, the growth of the continent is impressive and I think it's time to have one, like Arik Air (I've never flown with them but looking at data it seems a good candidate)
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO

if they are able to link with EK (and that's a very big if) OW would shoot almost overnight in front of the increasingly hapless bunch that is ST. That would however require a significant effort by every member to harmonise schedules and routes. I am pretty confident that something is in the work, maybe not full membership but some kind of linking.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
2> I think a Chinese carrier in oneworld is much more a political issue, let's see if with the renovation of government board something happens.
not political, but rather plain old money talk. * and ST have the full weight of their core franco/german members establishment backing. It would take a more concerted effort by the corresponding OW UK/US core members to sway a mainland airline into the alliance.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:20 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
1> I'd like it too, but we both know it's impossible
3> I agree with you and I think this would be the most likely market to be added
4> I'd like to have an African carrier in oneworld, the growth of the continent is impressive and I think it's time to have one, like Arik Air (I've never flown with them but looking at data it seems a good candidate)
Sooner rather then Later Cathay/DragonAir will buy one of the Chinese based airlines and morph them into OW. As for Africa there really is nobody of any size looking for an Alliance.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Sooner rather then Later Cathay/DragonAir will buy one of the Chinese based airlines and morph them into OW..
Umm, Air China (Star) and Cathay Pacific (oneworld) have had large (+30%) cross-shareholdings in each other for years, yet this hasn't caused any alliance shifts.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moa999
Umm, Air China (Star) and Cathay Pacific (oneworld) have had large (+30%) cross-shareholdings in each other for years, yet this hasn't caused any alliance shifts.
politics politics politics...

The dreadful politics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.