Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by chongcao
EY has been tried to join oneworld while they had a relationship with QF. But the talks between EY and QF failed few years ago.

Now EY is coming back! Either it is going to haunt oneworld, or join oneworld we may have to wait and see.
EY dropped its codeshares with QF in favour of a partnership with DJ/VA.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
I don't know if you can really take an equity arrangement in a single airline and draw conclusions about possible alliance membership from it.
No, I did not draw any conclusion. I was asking the question. And two boardroom members means a lot.

I don't really think that any of the big three Gulf airlines ( QR/EK/EY) are seriously looking at alliance membership. ( and I don't particularly think that any of the alliances really want them either)
No, QR will join star alliance. It is just a matter of the time.

So far only EK has said firmly that they are not looking into the alliance matter.

EY in other hand has never said they would NEVER join any alliance. They have kept the matter open as they understand to compete with EK they must have a broader market.

As far as three alliances concern, only, I mean ONLY Lufthansa has formally expressed their concern of the big three Gulf carriers and the relationship with alliances.

My source (Chinese report) indicates that there would be a loosen three way tie up between airberlin, Etihad and Hainan Airlines. I believe it is in initial talk stage. Nothing could be confirmed at this stage. So I personally took it as a rumour so far.

After all the agreements taken into place, EY would have partnership with 4 oneworld members plus 2 future members and one potential member. If the rumour about Philppine and Sri lankan (joining oneworld) is true, then this total add up to 9.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
interesting...

... It’s not clear whether today’s news that Etihad is to take a 29 per cent stake in Air Berlin, and integrate its Topbonus loyalty scheme into the Etihad Guest programme, will affect Air Berlin’s inauguration into the Oneworld alliance [http://www.businesstraveller.asia/ne...ld-in-february]
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
on another news, BD will exit * once acquisition by IAG is completed. Still to be seen whether they will kept as a separate brand or will be subsumed into BA.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Wrong thread.....
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: QFF
IT is meant to be part of OW from 10 Feb, but it, and the other Indian airlines, are having some large financial problems...
What are the chances of IT and 9W merging with the resulting carrier being in OW?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Himeno
IT is meant to be part of OW from 10 Feb, but it, and the other Indian airlines, are having some large financial problems...
What are the chances of IT and 9W merging with the resulting carrier being in OW?

2.37% is my bet.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Himeno
Originally Posted by onobond
2.37% is my bet.
If IT and 9W merged, I think the odds are pretty good (better than 50/50) that the new 9W would remain in OW. However onobond isn't far off on the odds of a merger and the new carrier staying in OW.

If IT is eaten by AI, the OW deal will evaporate.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Update on HAINAN airlines

Codeshare will start on 25th March with AA. HU code will appear on AA flight between PEK and PVG to ORD v.v. As well as flight between PVG and LAX. Many domestic routes including Boston,Denver, Atlanta, Miami etc will have HU code too.

But AA code will only appear on PEK SEA route operated by Hainan. Selected domestic routes including PEK to Haikou, Fuzhou, Hangzhou, Urumuqi, Kunming and Guangzhou only.this means AA flyer will have no access or transit flights available from Shanghai. Some important cities including Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Qingdao, Shenzhen and Wuhan is not served by codeshare.

Apparently more codeshare routes will be announced later this year following regulatory approval.

I hope this is the first step for Hainan to join OneWorld.

In other hand, Gulf air may go down following Malev if condition worsen within the airline. So I see little or no chance for Gulf Air to join in short term.

Etihad seems to lean towards Alaska way of dealing alliance issue. Unless British Airways move fast to sponsor Etihad, I see no way that airberlin can bring Etihad in oneworld for a long while yet.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
EY owning a large stake in AB, has codeshares and milage accrual/redemption with AA. Wouldn't that be a justified way in to OW?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by onobond
EY owning a large stake in AB, has codeshares and milage accrual/redemption with AA. Wouldn't that be a justified way in to OW?

Good question. But I believe EY has to be sponsored by one European full member. That leaves BA, IB, AY or AB. Even if AB sponsor EY but BA or IB could say no. So it is safer if BA sponsor the membership then BA IB and AB will all help.

Currently, among some of the FFPs I know that if you want oneworld Statues miles or points you have to take the flight operated by one oneworld airline with oneworld airline code. So EY operated AB flight would not qualify. However you do earn AA miles. Just not statues qualifying miles.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Let's say Hainan joins Oneworld, what will happen to HX?

As much as I want Hainan to join Oneworld, the odds seem to be against it from joining OW.

CX is too big a block to overcome for HN.

Who will sponsor HN's entry into OW?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
QF today announced formation of Jetstar Hong Kong with MU (China Eastern, skyteam). CX reported as being opposed to the new license.
HK v China - politics will be interesting
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moa999
QF today announced formation of Jetstar Hong Kong with MU (China Eastern, skyteam). CX reported as being opposed to the new license.
HK v China - politics will be interesting
CX have been studying the low cost carrier model. Result: not for HKG

So HX talked to Qantas about possible setting up Hong Kong Express to JetStar HKG. CX said: no way!

Now CEA and QF intend to set up JetStar HKG. CX: no official response like the period when HX .........

I Used to believe CX will never move to Star. But after the failed attempt to get Air China in OneWorld, and the unhappy relationship with Qantas, plus blocking membership of China Eastern and Hainan Airlines, now Qantas and China Eastern setting up JetStar HKG...I start to see the possibilities of CX goes to Star and start to going downhill. looks like the best outcome is CX will move to Star and HU moves to OneWorld. If CX goes to Star it may force SQ rethink its position. It is entirely possible to have a fourth alliance involve with SQ, VS, DJ and NZ...But that would be too far.

I prefer to see CX remain in OneWorld and take Air China on board.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by chongcao
I Used to believe CX will never move to Star. But after the failed attempt to get Air China in OneWorld, and the unhappy relationship with Qantas, plus blocking membership of China Eastern and Hainan Airlines, now Qantas and China Eastern setting up JetStar HKG...I start to see the possibilities of CX goes to Star and start to going downhill.
I do not think CX ever blocked MU from entering OW. In fact, CX and MU used to get along well and MU is still in AM. I thought it was Liu's personal decision for MU to join ST instead of OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.