Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:33 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
According to both KVS and ITA, MH has traffic rights from both JNB and CPT to EZE
I flew MH from EZE-CPT many (12!) years ago.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
GA won't be joining OW as they are already on track to try to join ST.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
i hope OW can invite BR (EVA Air) to join to get market share in China. (and try to ask CX to be BR's sponser)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I just can't see BR.
With CX/KA/BR oneworld would dominate HKG-TPE.

Also for anyone who thought EY had a future in oneworld.
EY has just signed an agreement with DJ/VA in Australia. QF has responded by dropping all codeshares.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999
I just can't see BR.
With CX/KA/BR oneworld would dominate HKG-TPE.

Also for anyone who thought EY had a future in oneworld.
EY has just signed an agreement with DJ/VA in Australia. QF has responded by dropping all codeshares.
The QF and OW websites still show the QF codes on EY flights. Have checked through to March.
EY coded QF flights are still available for booking on the EY site, even after the date the DJ agreement comes into effect.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Himeno
The QF and OW websites still show the QF codes on EY flights. Have checked through to March.
EY coded QF flights are still available for booking on the EY site, even after the date the DJ agreement comes into effect.
Reported in the Australian Financial Review.
Post on Australian Frequent Flyer says this

OK a quick call to #PremiumDesk## and I have the answers.

The QF/EY codeshare agreement ends on 29 Nov 2010, up until then it's business as normal.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
EY is making a mistake, or a statement. Up to your point of view.

It does look like the rumor of EY join SkyTeam more visible now.

Would be interesting to see what GF's response to this.

You either be friends, or enermies in aviation industry. QF is making one more enermy under this Irish CEO's direction.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, GA
Nothing is impossible in this industry. GA might join OW as far as I concern since their interest in SkyTeam has never been heard again.
But for now joining ST is the most possibility.

While for BR, monopolying a route by an alliance is a norm I guess, the profitable SIN-CGK has been monopolised by Star Alliance, SQ, TY and LH. So never assumed that an airline will not join an alliance for a certain reason.

EY case is obvious that they have drop their intrest in joining OW, Gulf Air has the most chance among any other Middle East airline to join OW since they are already part of the "Global Explorer". But I personally think OW is in urgent need to get a member from SE asia, since they are the only one that do not have a real base in SE Asia.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
there still exist a competition in HKG-TPE route as CI (a future Skyteam member) is still operating the route and have a great loading.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:57 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I'm sorry but my feeling is that OW is becoming the club of seriously bankrupted airlines. This year has been the worst for OW:
BA got continous problems with personnel and laid down some of them;
JAL is dying under its debts;
Malev survive;
Mexicana is going away....
In theory this do not impact directly the bill of other allied airlines but the lack of connections due to flight cancellations can seriously harm the power of an hub or the transfer from one to another airline in some transit.

Who can save OW?
The merger between IB and BA is for sure the best thing can happen.
AB is another good thing but it, just my 2 cents, it looks like the weakest alliance (except, maybe on US-UK connections which still represent the backbone of air transportation) even considering the presence of Cathay .

Last edited by Squerez; Sep 6, 2010 at 3:04 am
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Squerez
I'm sorry but my feeling is that OW is becoming the club of seriously bankrupted airlines. ...
it looks like the weakest alliance (except, maybe on US-UK connections which still represent the backbone of air transportation) even considering the presence of Cathay .
OW is the Anglo-Spanish colonial alliance. Look at it's strength, HKG, UK, USA & Australia all anglo dominated places, then Spain & South America - all spanish dominated. Outside these spheres there's JAL and niche carriers of Finnair, Malev & RJ. Maybe S7, Kingfisher and Air Berlin will assist, but there are significant gaps in big biz markets of mainland China and SE Asia.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:59 am

BBC reports today that Willie Walsh, chairman of International Airlines group (formed by merger of BA and IB) has a short-list of 12 airlines that they are potentially targeting for take-overs. None actually identified, but apparently include airlines in India and China.
Presumably if any take-overs do happen, the subject airlines will join Oneworld (if not already in).

Separate speculation as to whether TAM will migrate to OW after merger with LAN.

Added to the already announced joining of S7, AB and Kingfisher, things seem to be looking up for OW, despite recent demise of MX.

Happy Travels.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Looks like BA are trying to sponsor Aer Lingus back into OW - but KLM are doing the same for SkyTeam and UA for Star Alliance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...ys-rivals.html
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by NDFan
BBC reports today that Willie Walsh, chairman of International Airlines group (formed by merger of BA and IB) has a short-list of 12 airlines that they are potentially targeting for take-overs. None actually identified, but apparently include airlines in India and China.
Presumably if any take-overs do happen, the subject airlines will join Oneworld (if not already in).

Separate speculation as to whether TAM will migrate to OW after merger with LAN.

Added to the already announced joining of S7, AB and Kingfisher, things seem to be looking up for OW, despite recent demise of MX.

Happy Travels.
If BA was smart they'd go after a Chinese Airlines to purchase specifically Air China and Hainan Airlines.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
If BA was smart they'd go after a Chinese Airlines to purchase specifically Air China and Hainan Airlines.
Hainan Airlines no problem but Soros would say hold on and let me think.

Air China is impossible due to regulator's concern in China as well as government interests.

The only viable option is Hong Kong Airlines which is owned by Hainan Airlines and it is one free market option in Hong Kong/China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.