Wiki Posts
Search

New Oneworld recruits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum & Thai Gold
New Oneworld recruits

The Oneworld board meeting is currently underway in Los Angeles. Yesterday it was announced that Mexicana will join the alliance. Are there any chances more airlines will be announced before the end of the meeting? My bets are that Oneworld will offer Jet Airways, S7 and Hainan Airlines (Great Wall) a seat at the table before the end of the year. What about Air Pacific as a Qantas affiliate?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Alaska Airlines
1 Fills in the void left by Canadian Airlines with more direct flights to Canada from the West Coast
2 Partners with AA, BA, CX, and QF

Vietnam Airlines
1 OW's answer to SE Asia
2 Partners with AA, JL, CX, QF

China Eastern
1 OW's answer to China
2 Partners with AA, BA, JL, QF
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I don't think 9W is interested in alliances, maybe after IT and AI join.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Alaska Airlines
1 Fills in the void left by Canadian Airlines with more direct flights to Canada from the West Coast
2 Partners with AA, BA, CX, and QF

Vietnam Airlines
1 OW's answer to SE Asia
2 Partners with AA, JL, CX, QF

China Eastern
1 OW's answer to China
2 Partners with AA, BA, JL, QF
This plus 9W and life would be really good.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:08 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
This plus 9W and life would be really good.
Still leaves a big hole in Africa which ET could fill, IMO.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:21 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
I'd be in favor of letting SN join OneWorld. It would help cover the big hole in Africa.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by satprof
Still leaves a big hole in Africa which ET could fill, IMO.
could fill , but will they ?

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx4849114.html

Lufthansa, Ethiopian Airlines to enter code-sharing deal

Ok , I know a single codesharing deal does not necessarily mean anything , but since , AFAIK , ET only have two codesharing deals in place and they are both with *A carriers ( SA is the other one ) I dont necessarily see them rushing into OW any time soon
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by ndhapple
I'd be in favor of letting SN join OneWorld. It would help cover the big hole in Africa.
SN for Africa and connections to France would do nicely. And please throw in S7 for those Siberian cities as well, please.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Not that we get a vote, but mine would definitely go for any improvement in Africa coverage. I used to fly SN a lot, back and forth to Freetown and Monrovia mostly. Even better would be ET to eliminate the need for backtracking to Europe.

But it's all just wishful thinking, right?

Update: this is really funny. I just searched for the ET site to check their route map, and this is what you get as the "official site" --

http://www.flyethiopian.com
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by deepbluesky
Not that we get a vote, but mine would definitely go for any improvement in Africa coverage. I used to fly SN a lot, back and forth to Freetown and Monrovia mostly. Even better would be ET to eliminate the need for backtracking to Europe.

But it's all just wishful thinking, right?

Update: this is really funny. I just searched for the ET site to check their route map, and this is what you get as the "official site" --

http://www.flyethiopian.com
Actually this is their official site. The one you found appears to be an additional domain name that they registered in the 90's.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:35 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
ET is more closely aligned with *A; you can earn miles on their flights with LH. Also their flights go more to *A hubs (IAD, FRA) than OW.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plt
SN, SN, SN... Even more important than getting people around Africa right now for the alliance is getting people there first. And among the unallied, I don't think there's anyone better than SN right now. I was so gutted at the MX announcement as I had convinced myself that Brussels was going to be the next one in.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by hauteboy
ET is more closely aligned with *A; you can earn miles on their flights with LH. Also their flights go more to *A hubs (IAD, FRA) than OW.
Not sure that 2 *A hubs are any more relevant than 2 OW hubs (LON & HKG) when talking about some 50 ET total destinations. (They also fly to CDG & FCO if Skyteam is your cup of tea.)

What are relevant are the great internal African connections and the links to non-African cities such as BKK, DXB, AUH, DEL, BOM, TLV, ARN & BRU as well as the various alliance hubs already mentioned.

In addition to their route network, their service quality is pretty good as well. Personal experience was fine on ABJ - LOS, with a bit of a delay, but normal for Africa. (My luggage was nicked in LOS, which is also normal for LOS, apparently. )
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I don't think 9W is interested in alliances, maybe after IT and AI join.
It's too bad about 9W. I think they'd fit in real well with Oneworld. All 3 alliances right now have gaps with south Asia travel, and 9W is poised really well to fill in those gaps. After all, India is one of the world's fastest aviation markets and an increasingly important business and tourist destination.

I figure that 9W may join one eventually. AI is joining Star and if IT goes the Skyteam route (since they already have some strong codeshare agreements), I think 9W may eventually go with oneworld. Though 9W's codeshare agreements confuse me in that regard, they do have them with both AA and QF. Who knows? It might be possible one day.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Considering JetStar's assault on SGN route, I cannot see QF being happy to further extend any cooperation with VN. Also QF has purchased a stake in VN's competitor further complicating any relationship.

Whilst CX has a good relationship with VN, my bet is that VN will go down the ST path rather than run into the arms of OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.