aone6 ex mru sanity check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.

i'm about to embark on an ex-mru aone6 rtw. my itinerary passes the mileage monkey test but i'd appreciate any suggestions that people might have on how i might route it for maximizing true first class flights and mileage.

i have commitments in jnb and syd (actually the first one is in cpt but i gave up trying to squeeze cpt into the itinerary and was planning on purchasing jnb-cpt-jnb separately when i arrive in jnb). after that i have to be back in sydney (either directly from jnb or via hkg) for another meeting. from sydney onward the itinerary can be changed however suits. i did my best and came up with mostly "f" class flights and 69106 miles.

given that i have to get back within 7 days from cpt to syd, anybody have any better ideas on routing? i'm eager to receive any suggestions.

mru-jnb (purchase separate jnb-cpt-jnb) -hkg-bkk-hkg-syd-jfk-lax-dfw-jfk-gig-scl-ipc-scl-lax-lhr-mct-lhr-ist-lhr-mru

thanks,
alem
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:09 pm

well, you could replace hkg-bkk-hkg with hkg-nrt-hkg which has true 1st class service both ways on either JL or CX. A few more miles and more flights to choose from.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nice intn.
Some points:
1. JNB-HKG, A class is seasonal, daily 744 with A, starts Oct/28
2. HKG-SYD, only some CX flyghts have A. I prefer QF which is 744
3. you can do BKK-SYD with BA, really nice A.
4. SCL-LAX with Lan Peru, only J, not always lie flat.....
5. LAX-LHR , no mileage accrual between BA and AA
6. LHR-MCT-LHR for mileage rum is a nice touch
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:50 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
MRU-JNB-HKG-NRT-HKG-SYD-JFK-YVR-DFW-SCL-IPC-SCL-GIG-SCL-LAX-LHR-MCT-LHR-IST-LHR-MRU comes in almost 72K miles if you want. You lose the JFK-GIG FC cabin but pick up JFK-YVR (CX) instead.

Or, depending on season, lose the IST flights and substitute ANC instead,
MRU-JNB-HKG-NRT-HKG-SYD-JFK-YVR-DFW-ANC-DFW-SCL-IPC-SCL-GIG-SCL-LAX-LHR-MCT-LHR-MRU for almost 75K miles. Even on the 767 LHR-IST is no great shakes.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Oct 4, 2007 at 5:55 pm
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by headinclouds
well, you could replace hkg-bkk-hkg with hkg-nrt-hkg which has true 1st class service both ways on either JL or CX. A few more miles and more flights to choose from.
thanks. i will consider making this change. i didn't realize that both jl and cx had first class on this segment. the only thing drawing me back to bkk is the oriental. it's my favourite hotel.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gru1K
Nice intn.
Some points:
1. JNB-HKG, A class is seasonal, daily 744 with A, starts Oct/28
2. HKG-SYD, only some CX flyghts have A. I prefer QF which is 744
3. you can do BKK-SYD with BA, really nice A.
4. SCL-LAX with Lan Peru, only J, not always lie flat.....
5. LAX-LHR , no mileage accrual between BA and AA
6. LHR-MCT-LHR for mileage rum is a nice touch
re: 4 - is there a way to ascertain that the scl-lax flight will have their new lie flat seats rather than the old ones?

re: 5 - i haven't completely decided yet but i think i'm going to credit this itineray to the qf ff program as i can get life gold on them by doing this itinerary 3 more times.

thanks for all of your excellent suggestions and advice.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
MRU-JNB-HKG-NRT-HKG-SYD-JFK-YVR-DFW-SCL-IPC-SCL-GIG-SCL-LAX-LHR-MCT-LHR-IST-LHR-MRU comes in almost 72K miles if you want. You lose the JFK-GIG FC cabin but pick up JFK-YVR (CX) instead.

Or, depending on season, lose the IST flights and substitute ANC instead,
MRU-JNB-HKG-NRT-HKG-SYD-JFK-YVR-DFW-ANC-DFW-SCL-IPC-SCL-GIG-SCL-LAX-LHR-MCT-LHR-MRU for almost 75K miles. Even on the 767 LHR-IST is no great shakes.
these are great ideas. i especially like trading ist for anc. thanks for such a thoughtful reply.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte
re: 4 - is there a way to ascertain that the scl-lax flight will have their new lie flat seats rather than the old ones?
Nope. The seatmap is a guide but a/c swaps are apparently fairly common on this route.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by headinclouds
If mileage accrual at minimum cost is paramount, then HKG-NRT-HKG in F can be done in one day saving a hotel night. I usually do this and then continue the same evening to LHR.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Full Score
If mileage accrual at minimum cost is paramount, then HKG-NRT-HKG in F can be done in one day saving a hotel night. I usually do this and then continue the same evening to LHR.
i'll be staying over in nrt this time but next time this is good to know.
thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:37 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=alemdohorizonte;8509268]
mru-jnb (purchase separate jnb-cpt-jnb) -hkg-bkk-hkg-syd-jfk-lax-dfw-jfk-gig-scl-ipc-scl-lax-lhr-mct-lhr-ist-lhr-mru
thanks,
alem [QUOTE]

i received the pricing back and am about to purchase the ticket. i am a bit shocked by how high taxes are. the ticket is 245,000 mauritian rupees (or there abouts) then another 54,000 in taxes/fees, etc making it come in at just about an even US 10,000. it's still a great deal but ba's nickle-ing and dime-ing sure adds up.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The three LHR stopovers probably account for a big chunk of the extra charges.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero
The three LHR stopovers probably account for a big chunk of the extra charges.
thanks for the tip.
i was just planning on stopping over in lhr once. the other times are just connections.

should i change the ticket to reflect connections? i didn't realize it would make such a difference in the price.

Last edited by alemdohorizonte; Oct 18, 2007 at 11:32 pm
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte
thanks for the tip.
i was just planning on stopping over in lhr once. the other times are just connections.

should i change the ticket to reflect connections? i didn't realize it would make such a difference in the price.
LHR's air passengers duty is 80 GBP (5,000 MUR) for C/F tickets going to ouside EU.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
LHR's air passengers duty is 80 GBP (5,000 MUR) for C/F tickets going to ouside EU.
thanks wasabi. i forgot about that surcharge.
per the others' suggestions, i added hkg-nrt-hkg and dropped lhr-ist-lhr.
more miles, true first class (rather than ba pseudo biz class) and less taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.