Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX suspends CMB due to rebel activity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
...If I do NRT for a turnaround run for mileage, guess I will have to check with RTW desk and see what they will do to accomodate me.
I suspect they are likely to say no. Even if you do this after April 1 my understanding is that you cannot fly JL on your ticket, so if you are left with CX as your only choice a mr to NRT and back to HKG is not possible on two coupons from BKK.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
No, it means that SQ is owned by a government and CX is not....so CX is bound by commercial insurance cover, and cannot fly into cities that are not certified as covered by it's insurance policy. SQ is self-insured (or rather, covered by the govt). One of the many ways that SQ is subsidized without violating trade agreements. Usually it doesn't matter, but CMB is a great example of the difference.
Not quite. SQ's majority owner is Temasek Ltd (i.e. the Singaporean government investment arm), it is not the only owner so I very much doubt your explanation above. In fact it is almost half in private hands!

For reference, SQ's major shareholders are listed on this link:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...stor/stock.jsp
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:35 am
Original Poster

A review is occurring some time this week:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0011d21c39____

CX MEL is certain that the suspension is temporary and hopeful that resumption of CMB could be as early as this week.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
here's hoping that they hurry up and make an announcement!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Service will resume on APR 22. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679243

Phew....
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:38 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
CX ex-CMB flights cancelled again?

i'm supposed to fly tonight to CMB (from BKK) on CX. our flight is cancelled. however, there is no official annoucement yet if flights are cancelled for a long time (as in marhc) or if it's just our 1 flight that's cancelled due to mechanical or something. CX won't give me a straight answer, except that tonight is a no-go.
if flights are canccelled for good, then i need to make completely different plans. while 1 day delay is ok with me. anyone have any better info?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lerasp
.....if flights are canccelled for good, then i need to make completely different plans. while 1 day delay is ok with me. anyone have any better info?
CX suspends CMB flights indefinitely.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0011d21c39____
Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:52 am

The news says Emirates has canceled as well, so the community might be viewing the situation a touch more seriously. SQ seems to be continuing normal ops, though.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:54 am
Community Director Emerita

I have a CX ticket from HKG-CMB scheduled within the week. I appreciate the information, both about CX and EK. Please keep any updates coming.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
EK suspends CMB services indefinitely

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have a CX ticket from HKG-CMB scheduled within the week. I appreciate the information, both about CX and EK. Please keep any updates coming.
According to the EK website services to and from CMB are suspended indefinitely subject to review every 24 hrs.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Beginning to look that I was lucky with timing visiting in between these closures/suspensions of service.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:32 pm

Here's an amusing article about the Sri Lankan defenses - you could get the idea that the airlines are more concerned about them than the rebels.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/30/news...ion=2007043012
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
This is certainly getting to be a pain, and a littel stressful. We have ot ticket with AA for our DONE4 by June1, for an early July depature from CMB. I am thinking that the saving are not really worth the stress! The flights back from CMB to Australia are also very cheap, which was another reason for taking the CMB option (we are flying from ICN via HKG to CMB, doing the DONE, then leaving from CMB to MEL) This advantage is gone with a NRT departure, so I am wondering what to do about this.....perhaps fly from ICN-NRT on a cheap r/t ticket, and then book a cheap o/w with QF ICN via NRT to MEL? Are there cheap I or D class o/w tickets from TPE to MEL with CX still?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)
Use of CMB these days seems like a very risky proposition. Even if the airport is open and flights aren’t cancelled, the travel insurance policies (e.g., foreign medical coverage) of which I am aware specifically exclude coverage in regions for which government warnings have been issued. For example, the current recommendations by various Western governments against non-essential travel to Sri Lanka.
Old May 2, 2007, 1:15 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
for those with still-open CMB plans, you may want to consider issuing XONEX tickets from Japan. I was due to fly into CMB on apr 29th, pickup my DONE4 and fly out on May1st. of course, i couldn't get into CMB (i was in BKK at the time). i rerouted myself to NRT, showed up at AA desk at the airport explained my situation and next day had a new DONE4 issued. of course, the pricing was ex-NRT, but it's only about $500 difference. for me, it's really worth not having the headache. i consider myself lucky that CX cancelled when i was going INTO CMB, not when i was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.