CX suspends CMB due to rebel activity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX suspends CMB due to rebel activity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by johnkennett
I have a DONE4 booked with AA in CMB, but not yet ticketed....With an early July departure.....My fiancee is now wanting to change the departure city so as to have reassurance that we will be able to take the trip!

I am thinking of waiting a little longer and seeing how it pans out. The ticketing date for the trip is April 09 though. Do you think that AA will extend the ticketing date until at least May, so I can see if flights have been resumed?

Also, if we have to change to another city would ICN,NRT or TPE be better (using AA to minimize charges of course.)
I'm too lazy to read the rules, and have never had occasion to do it myself, but I believe you can ticket now to have a plan locked in, and refund the ticket at no cost if a Plan B becomes essential.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I have a DONE4 booked with AA in CMB, but not yet ticketed....With an early July departure.....My fiancee is now wanting to change the departure city so as to have reassurance that we will be able to take the trip!

I am thinking of waiting a little longer and seeing how it pans out. The ticketing date for the trip is April 09 though. Do you think that AA will extend the ticketing date until at least May, so I can see if flights have been resumed?

Also, if we have to change to another city would ICN,NRT or TPE be better (using AA to minimize charges of course.)
My opinion is no chance of special dispensation from the airlines, particularly for a ticket that is not yet bought. With the OWE product allowing origination from any city served --- albeit at a different price -- there isn't too much reason to be starting at CMB from an airline perspective. CMB was back to normal in a couple of weeks after the last rebel raid, and that blew up half the airliners on the ground, so was a much more spectacular event. Given the nature of the threat there isn't too much doubt that CMB will be back to normal in a month.

As for picking an alternate origination point, the primary constraint is that you cannot leave the country of origin after re-entry. So picking an origin that is out of the way is a good idea if you want to use the last 4 segments. As for the fares, who knows what they will be next month, but right now I think NRT is the cheapest, however might be inconvenient with the country of origin rule, depending on your plans.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:28 am

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
We were using CMB only due to the low cost- and the fact that using it collects just enough miles to put us into EXP with AA on the DONE4!

Our first stop is JFK, via HKG anyway, so if we change to TPE or ICN (NRT isn't that great- the flights out at the end of the DONE are pretty expensive...)then we'll still use that routing- CMBxHKG-JFK changes to ICNxHKG-JFK or TPExHKG-JFK, though I'l really have to work on finding a couple of mileage runs to make up the few 1000 miles missing CMB loses us...

I'll call the AA RTW desk tonight and see if they can change the ticketing date from April 9 to May. I can't see that being a major problem....
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
...I'll call the AA RTW desk tonight and see if they can change the ticketing date from April 9 to May. I can't see that being a major problem....
Agree. I'd be very surprised if they said no.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Very easy. They release one seat at a time in F. If my husband is with me, I book one seat for him. Then the next day I book for me. I've only been on SQ from SIN-CMB in F three times; in those times, I've never seen more than 4 passengers in the 12 F seats.
Wow, I must be unlucky. I've flown the route 5 times now, and never less than 10 in F.

However, I've never seen C more than 1/2 full. Just bought my first C ticket CMB-YVR on UA....I thought I'd read somewhere the SQ segments would still be in F, but UA is telling me D.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:21 pm

Well, I called AA RTW desk, and they changed the ticketing date until May 2, by when CX should have resumed service to CMB!

The price difference changing to another country for departure is quite a lot, so we'll leave it as CMB, and then if needed change at the last minute....
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:51 am

FWIW this week's Economist seemed to think that the situation in Sri Lanka is deteriorating, so it might be useful to have a thought-out Plan B in your pocket.

There have been some discussions here in the past month or two about cheap starting places, plus of course the excellent spread-sheet with prices from everywhere. One important element (besides the cost of getting there) is actually finding a GSA who'll sell you a ticket in Timbuktu - surprisingly difficult in many Timbuktus.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:39 am

We are going to use ICN as our back up. We are living in Korean at the moment anyway, so having to leave and return here won't matter, at the end of the DONE4 we can visit friends here, and there are usually cheap D class fares with QF via NRT, about $1200, to get back to Australia if needed.

CMB is much cheaper, even when adding the cost of getting there. I hope that we don't have to use plan B, but it is there if needed!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:31 am

Suggestions for Subsitition Turn-Around BKK-CMB-HKG

I am in the midst of DONE04 ex-CAI. I am to fly BKK-CMB-HKG-AKL...etc. on 4-18-07. Any suggestions for easy turnaround routes to accrue mileage?
DEL would require a visa, right?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
I am in the midst of DONE04 ex-CAI. I am to fly BKK-CMB-HKG-AKL...etc. on 4-18-07. Any suggestions for easy turnaround routes to accrue mileage?
Yes, US citizens need visa for India. $50 last year.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'd go for NRT on the 744. Not quite the most miles, but you get long haul J, with AVOD.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Do you only have 2 segments available? Do they have to begin in BKK and end in HKG?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NRT?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:41 pm

India does require a visa, but there is a CX flight BKK-BOM, then connect to CX either in BOM again back to HKG on the one flight number via BKK, or leave from DEL and make your own way between the two. You could get the Indian visa from the enbassy in BKK, of you have time. If you don't have any time for visas, then the best flight to take would be to NRT, you could fly with JL from next week, and them back down to HKG with CX.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:03 am

Original Poster - Suggestions for Subsitition Turn-Around BKK-CMB-HKG

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you only have 2 segments available? Do they have to begin in BKK and end in HKG?
1) I have 2 coupons (segments) available in Asia. Current coupons are:
#12 BKK-CMB and #13 CMB-(BKK)-HKG

2) I am in BKK, so I have to begin in BKK, not necessarily end in HKG. But my next continent is SWP (AKL). (Actually, I'm in MIA for a few weeks -- I am half way through a nested award ticket BKK-MIA-BKK and will rejoin my in-progress RTW in BKK in April).

Also, the OneWorld Planner is not showing JL flights even in April.

If I do NRT for a turnaround run for mileage, guess I will have to check with RTW desk and see what they will do to accomodate me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.