Wiki Posts
Search

MA & RJ join OW 1st April 2007

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Does anyone know exactly what the April 1, 2007, date means? May bookings be made now for flights occurring on or after that date? Or are bookings allowed to be made only on or after that date?
It depends on the type of ticket: Awards, only bookable after April 1. Oneworld fare products, such as OWE, only ticketable after April 1, but reservations can be made at any time. Other fare products, can be bought now (FF mileage accrual changes after April 1). The OW benefits, such as lounge access, apply only after April 1.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by number_6
...Oneworld fare products, such as OWE, only ticketable after April 1, but reservations can be made at any time...
Anyone tried to book an OWE that includes a post April 1 JL flight with the AA RTW desk yet?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:47 pm

do people expect milage and q-points between ba and jl to remain as they are now?

Of course they don´t have L class listed but at worst it would seem 70%
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Viajero
Anyone tried to book an OWE that includes a post April 1 JL flight with the AA RTW desk yet?
It's quite clear that you can't ticket a OWE until 1 April. Reservations are defined only by the fare class they are booked in - they say nothing about the ticket type that may or may not be used to pay for them later. There is no problem in principle booking A/L/D classes on JAL now (or whatever fare classes you think the ticket you want will book into). Most of my OWE have 4 or 5 different reservations corresponding to different bits of the journey at various stages in their lives.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by christep
It's quite clear that you can't ticket a OWE until 1 April...
I know, that is why I said book, not ticket.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by christep
... There is no problem in principle booking A/L/D classes on JAL now...
One problem is that JL currently uses A/L fare codes for different purpose than the Oneworld standard, and looks to be changing only on April 1. A is economy, for example (JL books the AGLOBx product into F because of this). So, you would have to make a full-F reservation on JL, and hope they convert it to A when A becomes their discount F code. Same for L (that books into Y now on JL). I think D is the same as the OW D, though.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: Currently without any status :(
I like Malev!

I just was wasting time again trying to get some idea about pricing going down to the middle east or asia and such and was fiddeling around with the new sites + gulf air (aa can earn / redeem miles on them).

And I have to say I like Malev. Available in different languages, they fly from Hamburg and most important of all: Decent Information on the website!

As I am not the small tiny women size of seats is important to me - an information only seldomly available. But take a look here to compare tourist / biz class:

http://www.malev.hu/bp/eng/I%5FFLYINGCABIN%5FENG/

This is what I am talking about on a webpage!

A trip HAM-BUD-CAI priced out roughly 1K in Biz - I want to know how much that earns in BA!

With the offerings I can see so far on the page I am wildly interested in what they have to offer else - and be it just for the reason that they also have decent offerings in German / from Germany - something BA / AA still do not manage to facilitate.

So - WELCOME MALEV. )

(Royal Jordanien, well, we see)

Now I only need someone helping me through the process of "how can I make some nice and shiny award flights with 80K BA miles in biz for a trip like HAM-BUD-Cai-Amman-DXB and back or such.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by nixande
....And I have to say I like Malev. Available in different languages, they fly from Hamburg ...
MA has a great short-haul network and well located for Europe (the only Oneworld hub that isn't on the periphery). The big problem for MA is their long-haul fleet is 2 planes, and no other Oneworld airline has (so far) announced long-haul flights to BUD. So MA is basically unconnected to the Oneworld long-haul network, though they plan to obtain a 3rd 762 and start flying BUD-BKK. No threat to BA (thus didn't get the LX treatment); in fact BA might be looking at outsourcing some maintenance to BUD.

Of course the other big problem for MA is that it continues to lose money and keeps delaying privatization, with more and more bizarre proposals surfacing at each iteration. The latest being the rumored bid for MA by KrasAir (a Siberian airline). The OW tie-in should benefit MA tremendously with additional connecting traffic (MA suffers from 2 problems: BUD is an LCC hub, keeping O/D fares very low; and MA load factor is in the 60% range, due to lack of connecting traffic and poor bilaterals). But until AA runs a flight ORD-BUD it will still be a minor hub.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: Currently without any status :(
the only 'to' flight to bud I care about is from hamburg. ;o)

If I fly to LON or BUD to go somewhere is the same for me and I am actually looking forward if this might work out well in regards to some other possibilities.

It has been long bothering me how few possibilities are available for ex Germany with oneworld.

The new airlines do serve part of Germany - not allways hamburg, but more Europe and non FRA / LHR centric.

Now if they only would not price out things from BUD in hungarian currency but Euros
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Can anyone tell me if MA will introduce a new livery? That blue nose is just plain goofy.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by nixande
I just was wasting time again trying to get some idea about pricing going down to the middle east or asia and such and was fiddeling around with the new sites + gulf air (aa can earn / redeem miles on them).

And I have to say I like Malev. Available in different languages, they fly from Hamburg and most important of all: Decent Information on the website!

As I am not the small tiny women size of seats is important to me - an information only seldomly available. But take a look here to compare tourist / biz class:

http://www.malev.hu/bp/eng/I%5FFLYINGCABIN%5FENG/

This is what I am talking about on a webpage!

A trip HAM-BUD-CAI priced out roughly 1K in Biz - I want to know how much that earns in BA!

With the offerings I can see so far on the page I am wildly interested in what they have to offer else - and be it just for the reason that they also have decent offerings in German / from Germany - something BA / AA still do not manage to facilitate.

So - WELCOME MALEV. )

(Royal Jordanien, well, we see)

Now I only need someone helping me through the process of "how can I make some nice and shiny award flights with 80K BA miles in biz for a trip like HAM-BUD-Cai-Amman-DXB and back or such.
Malev is indeed a good airline.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Viajero
I asked today, and I was told I could not book JL flights as part of a DONE until April 1st. I did not ask (and wish I had remembered to ask) whether a ticket issued prior to April 1st can be changed or reissued to include JL after that date.

I bet there will be a big price increase (like the one last year) before April 1st, so my big dilemma is whether to issue before (without JL) or after. I guess best scenario for me is if they allow changes after April 1 on pre-April 1 issued tickets to include JAL, then a reissue would solve my problems.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
I guess best scenario for me is if they allow changes after April 1 on pre-April 1 issued tickets to include JAL, then a reissue would solve my problems.
That has not been OW's response in the past, so I would not count on it happening.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:11 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
...I bet there will be a big price increase (like the one last year) before April 1st, so my big dilemma is whether to issue before (without JL) or after. I guess best scenario for me is if they allow changes after April 1 on pre-April 1 issued tickets to include JAL, then a reissue would solve my problems.
OWE tickets are issued with an endorsement: Valid only on (list of airlines). So it is impossible for a rules change to change this list, what you buy is what you get, and doesn't change for the life of the ticket. Thus there is no doubt about it, you cannot add JL to a pre-April 1 issued OWE ticket. Even if the airlines wanted to, they could not change the rules to allow it (and there is no reason that they would want to do this).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by number_6
OWE tickets are issued with an endorsement: Valid only on (list of airlines). So it is impossible for a rules change to change this list, what you buy is what you get, and doesn't change for the life of the ticket. Thus there is no doubt about it, you cannot add JL to a pre-April 1 issued OWE ticket. Even if the airlines wanted to, they could not change the rules to allow it (and there is no reason that they would want to do this).
See this post. If ticket was issued with "Valid oneworld carriers only" wouldn't that imply that a reissue with JL/MA/RJ after 01April is ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.