DONEx ex-ISB/KHI?

Old Jan 29, 07, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

DONEx ex-ISB/KHI?

I've been thinking of how to make the most of a RTW, as I currently have no OW status. I need to get to Europe in the summer, and I was thinking of doing this:

1) Start an AA PLT challenge in August.
2) Fly YYZ-ISB via LAX/LHR round trip coach (return in May) for the 10k miles.
3) Start a DONE4 there, go to London. Continue the rest of my travels next spring. Arrive back from the East at KHI. Fly KHI-ISB, and then use the return on my coach fare.

The advantages to this is that since I'm westbound, I won't have to burn a segment to get out of the country. The downside is that I can't start and end in the same city, but KHI-ISB is cheap. The total cost works out to be about the same, I believe (since I want to fly AA and there is no AA # going to CMB).

Is there something I'm missing? I haven't heard much about ex-Pakistan DONEs.
Old Jan 29, 07, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by barking frog View Post
I've been thinking of how to make the most of a RTW, as I currently have no OW status. I need to get to Europe in the summer, and I was thinking of doing this:

1) Start an AA PLT challenge in August.
2) Fly YYZ-ISB via LAX/LHR round trip coach (return in May) for the 10k miles.
3) Start a DONE4 there, go to London. Continue the rest of my travels next spring. Arrive back from the East at KHI. Fly KHI-ISB, and then use the return on my coach fare.

The advantages to this is that since I'm westbound, I won't have to burn a segment to get out of the country. The downside is that I can't start and end in the same city, but KHI-ISB is cheap. The total cost works out to be about the same, I believe (since I want to fly AA and there is no AA # going to CMB).

Is there something I'm missing? I haven't heard much about ex-Pakistan DONEs.
Search reveals one fairly recent thread about difficulties the OP was having issuing an xonex ex-pakistan.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=pakistan
Old Jan 30, 07, 2:58 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
I got there in the end. Having nearly completed that DONE4 I'm quite likely to roll straight into a new one in a few weeks. The pound is stronger too. Having sounded out the twists and turns I think it should be fairly smooth second time around.

I assume you'll have over 16 segments and need a paper ticket. I wasn't able to get a paper ticket in the islamabad branch of the AA agent, but did discover that the Karachi head office could issue on paper if pushed. They may be willing to courier a ticket up to Islamabad. I would first set it up (including pricing) with the AA rtw helpdesk and have a note put on indicating that it will need to be issued on a paper ticket due to the number of segments. From there it should be easy enough to get the Karachi agent's office to issue, though I didn't have to navigate remote payment if that's relevant.

I'm happy to advise further if you have more detail on your plans.

FYI: partly for the miles and partly as I know people in Singapore I did the LON-PAK bit lon-sin,hkg-khi (well LON-SIN,HKG-BOM-hkg-KHI). I left KHI-hkg-JFK. Though khi-isb is cheap and easy on LCC's in any case.
Old Jan 30, 07, 3:11 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Oh - my posts unhelpfully spanned two threads. This might be more useful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...23#post6315523

Search this Thread
Search Engine: