Figuring Mileage for a OneWorld Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hello,
I now have 150,000 miles banked and wish to cash them in for a OneWorld Business award (25,000 miles). How do I figure out the distance for my proposed ticket?

What I would like to do: WAS-EZE-SCL-AKL-SYD-Melbourne-Brisbane-WAS.

Although I would much appreciate it if someone could help me by giving me the mileage, or ideas on how I could make this fit (such as open jaw, and buy a ticket from LAX-WAS and/or WAS-MIA), I would also appreciate a website or whatever so in the future I can figure this out on my own.

Thanks for teaching me to fish!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:13 am

It's fine, a little over 24,000 miles. Keep in mind, though, it's been reported here that the SCL-AKL segment can be hard to get as a discounted paid ticket, let alone an award ticket.

BNE=Brisbane
MEL=Melbourne

Site for finding out mileage:
http://gc.kls2.com/
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
If I were you and had few extra days, throw in Easter Island (IPC). LAN can take you there from SCL and to Tahiti after you're done, were you can connect to AKL. It's only few extra miles and fits under the 25K miles. It's worth a stop, but no more than 2-3 nights.

Just a suggestion.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:44 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by andrzej
If I were you and had few extra days, throw in Easter Island (IPC). LAN can take you there from SCL and to Tahiti after you're done, were you can connect to AKL. It's only few extra miles and fits under the 25K miles. It's worth a stop, but no more than 2-3 nights.

Just a suggestion.
Wouldn't this involve a non-OW (paid) flight Tahiti-AKL?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:27 pm

I believe so.
Originally Posted by tsastor
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by ajacpril
I believe so.
Unless the poster was referring to the long way around, i.e IPC-xSCL-xLAX-MEL.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help. I've come up with two routings that I like. Now I have to figure out which one will prove more entertaining, and the exact dates (I have August 1-31...but figuring how much time in each city).

Either: DCA-EZE-SCL-AKL-SYD-BNE-CNS-BNE-IAD

OR

DCA-EZE-SCL-AKL-ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE-IAD

I may post in another forum for ideas on the Australia portion before I call to book. The last of my miles needed should post on the 14th, and then I can book.

Should also mention that I'm more than willing to except other ideas. I'm using a 25,000 mile award, and really want to go to AKL and SCL, and I would like to hit up Australia but I don't have to.

Last edited by dcstudent; Sep 13, 2006 at 10:03 pm
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Good luck, I think you will find no U inventory SCL-AKL (when LAN does make some available, it is for SCL-SYD only) so you might spend the month of August in SCL standing by for the flight. Of course you cannot book it yet (330 days out), but you might have to fly SCL-LAX-AKL (not that it is easy to get U seats on that route, either).
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by number_6
...I think you will find no U inventory SCL-AKL (when LAN does make some available, it is for SCL-SYD only)...
I beg to differ on this one [again ]. IMO, LAN offers award seats either SCL-AKL or SCL-SYD, without distinction. It is a matter of general availability only, not "fly to SYD or nothing".

Right now most of August '07 flights SCL-AKL have Business award seats available, in fact I would call it wide open.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:17 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Viajero
...Right now most of August '07 flights SCL-AKL have Business award seats available, in fact I would call it wide open.
Of course they are available now, they cannot be booked on AA until 330 days out (or about a month from now), so that inventory can only be booked by LA and QF plans. Once AA has access, it disappears in an hour or 2.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by number_6
...Once AA has access, it disappears in an hour or 2.
So how come there's quite a few seats available for June and July?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by tsastor
for some reason I thought that QF flew that route or at the very least to SYD, but now I know better....

It's only a codeshare.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:14 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Viajero
So how come there's quite a few seats available for June and July?
Interesting ... quite a change from last year (and the year before that, for that matter). Has LA made more inventory available, or has the novelty of the route worn off and the pent-up demand satisfied, making for empty seats? QF stopped operating SYD-EZE precisely because there wasn't enough traffic to keep the flight profitable (but QF didn't have any hub feed at EZE, unlike SCL). So much for additional flight frequencies on this route, I guess 4 per week is it (presuming it is still 4 per week -- haven't bothered to check).
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Unless I can't count (a real possiblity), I've already entered the 330 day period for the beginning of my trip. Since i wish to depart on August 1st then September 5th, was roughly 330 days. The last of my mileage has posted so I'll start booking. The only real decision left is whether I book the AUS/NZ to be the first part of the trip and finish up with SA or do it the other way around.

I'll post my routing results!

Thanks again for all of the help. I appreciate help from the village elders (referring to time on flyertalk...not a judgment of what your actual ages may be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.