Search

composing a DONE4 itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:53 am
dsf
Original Poster

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Viajero
See the sticky in the AA forum, because AA publishes no info about it.
OK, I've read quite a lot of that sticky and spotted this
which raised an eyebrow... does this mean if I do DXB at the start I'd make AA Platinum before even leaving Europe? eg something like this:

WAW-LHR-DXB-LHR-SYD-AKL-SYD-PER-HKG-SIN-HKG-NRT-JFK-YVR-DFW-BOS-ORD-SFO-LHR-WAW

I'm yet to fully understand the implications of this, but it seems good
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dsf
...does this mean (...) I'd make AA Platinum before even leaving Europe?
Yes.

Edited to add: but do note that it might not be the best way to do it. If you do WAW-LHR-SYD instead, you will not be PLT until you get to Sydney, BUT, the 100% bonus will be much bigger (DXB-LHR vs LHR-SYD).

Last edited by Viajero; Jul 25, 2006 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:06 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just remember only 2 stopovers in continent of origin, so 1 of the 3 LHR routings must be a transit (presumably you would go to DXB immediately after WAW, without a stopover back home). You don't get any extra lounge access due to making Platinum, however it makes the 100% bonus for LHR-SYD unambiguous. I guess that is the only advantage.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Code:
157N . 9. WITHIN AUSTRALIA -                                                    
158N .       * ONLY 1 NONSTOP OR SINGLE PLANE FLIGHT                            
159N .    PERMITTED                                                             
160N .         BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING                                            
161N .         CITIES:BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL AND PER /SEE                              
162N .    EXCEPTIONS                                                            
163N .         BELOW/                                                           
164N .       * MEL/SYD AND DRW                                                  
165N .       * MEL/SYD AND BME
My believe was that these city pairs are exclusive. i.e. You could do -MEL-PER-BME-SYD-

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
Sorry to be a pain, but i'm completely confused by the rules shown above, if one of you guys could clarify i'd be most grateful.

To me it reads as though you can only do one transcon as I thought you could i.e. 1 flight between Per & BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL - leaving the door open for PER-CBR which is greater than 2000 miles and could be combined with a SYD-PER leg.

It then reads as though although un-related to the 1 transcon rule, you are only allow 1 flight between SYD/MEL -DRW and SYD/MEL - BME, effectively meaning you could do SYD-PER-DRW-SYD on the same routing? or SYD-PER-BME-SYD etc...?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:36 am
dsf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Just remember only 2 stopovers in continent of origin, so 1 of the 3 LHR routings must be a transit (presumably you would go to DXB immediately after WAW, without a stopover back home). You don't get any extra lounge access due to making Platinum, however it makes the 100% bonus for LHR-SYD unambiguous. I guess that is the only advantage.
Actually with all the options available and new things I'm learning, I'm coming up with a few new ideas. Like doing WAW-LHR-DXB-LHR before Christmas, with the rest of the trip in Spring/Summer next year. Getting AA platinum/OneWorld Sapphire would be handy in case I do any flying with work (which is possible) in the intervening months.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sdorling
Sorry to be a pain, but i'm completely confused by the rules shown above, if one of you guys could clarify i'd be most grateful.

To me it reads as though you can only do one transcon as I thought you could i.e. 1 flight between Per & BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL - leaving the door open for PER-CBR which is greater than 2000 miles and could be combined with a SYD-PER leg.

It then reads as though although un-related to the 1 transcon rule, you are only allow 1 flight between SYD/MEL -DRW and SYD/MEL - BME, effectively meaning you could do SYD-PER-DRW-SYD on the same routing? or SYD-PER-BME-SYD etc...?
Yes, the city pairs with a * before them are separate, independent.

One problem is that the formatting of the star file is lousy. Have a look at the same rule as formatted by CX, and posted by christep here.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights in Aust

From QF web site
Within Australia only one non stop flight is permitted between Perth and Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne or Sydney; or between Darwin and Melbourne or Sydney; or between Broome and Melbourne or Sydney. This restriction does not apply for passengers originating their travel in Perth or New Zealand when travelling to/from Africa on the Melbourne or Sydney to Perth direct flights.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Again there is confusion caused by lousy formatting issues; even the text posted by Mwenenzi could be read either way.

Consider if the following change was made:
Within Australia only one non stop flight is permitted between Perth and Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne or Sydney; and between Darwin and Melbourne or Sydney; and between Broome and Melbourne or Sydney.
If the wording was in this manner it would be specific and -MEL-PER-BME-SYD- would not be permissible.

However, using similar techniques to "deduction by omission" the implications to me are that the routing is permissible.

Of course it all gets down to whoever is booking your journey. YMMV
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:51 pm
dsf
Original Poster

Bumping my own thread in search of a bit more advice, clarification, and encouragement ... my travel agent has forwarded the itinerary I decided on to BA for pricing. Because of a change or two in circumstance I've now almost settled on this, starting in early September:
GIB-LHR-DXB-LHR-SYD-AKL-SYD-PER-HKG-SIN-HKG-NRT-JFK
[JFK-LHR, a few months at home/work, then back across the pond for]
JFK-YVR-DFW-BOS-ORD-SFO-LHR-GIB
If I understand the rules correctly, this:
GIB-LHR 2030-2215
LHR-DXB 2140-0730
lets me sleep in my own bed without a waste of a stopover 'cos it's 35 minutes short of 24 hours ^ and I assume the rule applies to scheduled times, not flight times, ie if LHR-DXB was cancelled or delayed to later than 2215 I wouldn't have broken the rules -- is this right?

If so the only things I'm worried about now are whether GIB-...JFK-LHR in just over 5 weeks is a bit too ambitious and the old chestnut of who to credit the miles to . I opened an AAdvantage account without yet signing up to the plat challenge as I'm still leaning towards piling all my miles in one BAsket. I figure I'd make silver and 920 TPs. With that 55k starting balance, a job that's about to take me transatlantic on BA a few more times per year than previously ( ^ ), and if I can find the funds to do JFK-LHR-JFK in a TP-earning cabin, I reckon I'm doing the right thing.

Am I?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dsf
lets me sleep in my own bed without a waste of a stopover 'cos it's 35 minutes short of 24 hours ^ and I assume the rule applies to scheduled times, not flight times, ie if LHR-DXB was cancelled or delayed to later than 2215 I wouldn't have broken the rules -- is this right?
Yes

Originally Posted by dsf
If so the only things I'm worried about now are whether GIB-...JFK-LHR in just over 5 weeks is a bit too ambitious
5 weeks? I don't think too ambitious. Two weeks is ambitious. Just stop and smell the roses in a few different places.

Originally Posted by dsf
and the old chestnut of who to credit the miles to . I opened an AAdvantage account without yet signing up to the plat challenge as I'm still leaning towards piling all my miles in one BAsket. I figure I'd make silver and 920 TPs. With that 55k starting balance, a job that's about to take me transatlantic on BA a few more times per year than previously ( ^ ), and if I can find the funds to do JFK-LHR-JFK in a TP-earning cabin, I reckon I'm doing the right thing.

Am I?
IMO, the only redeeming thing about BAEC is that you can upgrade a T fare to Club World for a reasonable number of miles. Keep in mind, though, that AA doesn't have a SFO-LHR flight so you would be forced to take BA. If you decide on crediting the miles to AAdvantage, you won't be able to earn miles on that flight.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:18 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Darren
Keep in mind, though, that AA doesn't have a SFO-LHR flight so you would be forced to take BA. If you decide on crediting the miles to AAdvantage, you won't be able to earn miles on that flight.
Or you could use your last NA segment by adding a short QF flight, JFK-YVR-DFW-BOS-ORD-SFO-YVR-LHR-GIB, with full AA credit should you want it.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:26 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by dsf
GIB-LHR-DXB-LHR-SYD-AKL-SYD-PER-HKG-SIN-HKG-NRT-JFK
[JFK-LHR, a few months at home/work, then back across the pond for]
JFK-YVR-DFW-BOS-ORD-SFO-LHR-GIB
Depending when you plan to do the final sector, you may ultimately need to change that to LGW-GIB: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583637
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:41 am
dsf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLF
Depending when you plan to do the final sector, you may ultimately need to change that to LGW-GIB: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583637
Interesting. What happens if I book LHR-GIB open-dated now and the route is discontinued by the time I come to book it? Would the enforced change to SFO-LHR/LGW-GIB be free? Actually I guess the question could be applied to any segment...
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:55 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by dsf
Interesting. What happens if I book LHR-GIB open-dated now and the route is discontinued by the time I come to book it? Would the enforced change to SFO-LHR/LGW-GIB be free? Actually I guess the question could be applied to any segment...
The date of last service for LHR-GIB is 28 Oct. It's been pulled from the timetables now, so you can't actually book it past that date.

Perceived wisdom here is not to use open dated sectors; if in doubt simply make dated bookings towards the end of the 12 month ticket validity period. For OWE tickets, date changes are free, so once you know the real dates you can simply pull it forwards. Best not to use an open dated sector for a variety of reasons.

If you know you'll be wanting to do LON-GIB after the route is dropped from LHR, then you should probably ticket it as LGW-GIB in the first place.

Last edited by SLF; Aug 3, 2006 at 3:36 am Reason: I thought some more; completely changed my answer
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:12 am
dsf
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLF
Perceived wisdom here is not to use open dated sectors; if in doubt simply make dated bookings towards the end of the 12 month ticket validity period. For OWE tickets, date changes are free, so once you know the real dates you can simply pull it forwards. Best not to use an open dated sector for a variety of reasons.

If you know you'll be wanting to do LON-GIB after the route is dropped from LHR, then you should probably ticket it as LGW-GIB in the first place.
Thanks yet again SLF (and Darren and Gardyloo!) ^ , I've changed to SFO-YVR-LHR, LGW-GIB at the tail end, and asked for it to be resubmitted with dates for JFK-...-GIB set in July/August next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.