Malawi almost the cheapest for AONEx

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

In both the April and July 06 fare updates Malawi (LLW) is the second cheapest starting point. US$6,299 for an AONE4. As far as I can tell, none of the OW airlines fly to/from there.

Does anyone have any idea why it is included? Is there some clever way of making use of it? The country is desperately poor so comfort and reliability will be questionable, but maybe a quick turnaround is possible?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Back in 2002, and perhaps for a little while after that, BA used to serve Lilongwe (LLW)... Although there isn't any current service, it's theoretically possible that the route will be revived. Although not a good reason to keep updating fares, this may be a (partial) explaination of why they are updated.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
One of the OWE rules is that the first sector cannot be surface -- precisely to prevent a clever way to use the fare from countries without current OW service. There have always been fares listed for countries that did not have OW service, often with very low values; historically these have been removed when plans to activate the routes approached. A quaint pattern, which presumably has a reason as it is too consistent, but unlikely to result in a cheap travel opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.