What are the NRT Lounge Options? OW EXP, SJC-NTR AA, NTR-TPE JAA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2006, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.

Hi,

Can anyone let me know what lounge options I might have in NRT based on the following information?

5/22 AA129 SJC-NRT 12:40PM-3:20PM
5/23 EG209 NRT-TPE 7:30PM-10:00PM (JAA)

I'm OW Emerald (AA EXP). Purchased Coach. VIP upgrade for SJC-NRT likely to clear so I'll be flying business to NRT. I'm also an Admirals Club Member.

Are there any lounge agreements that I could use other than the Admirals Club? Since my outgoing flight is not a OW carrier the normal OW agreement probably would not apply but there might be some other agreements.

It looks like the Admirals club is past security. Is ~4hrs enough time and worth it to use the admirals club?

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2006, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I don't think you'll be able to use any lounge - the Admiral's Club is departure side in the terminal where you arrive - JAA goes from the other terminal.

If your ticket is flexible and the flight is on time and you have no checked bags then I would be looking to get on CX451 at 16:00 which will depart from a gate very adjacent to where you come in on the AA flight and (if you are quick off the plane you could be round in departures within 5-10 mins).
Old May 21, 2006, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Zero chance to use the AC or any of the Oneworld lounges at NRT unless you get a boarding pass for CX. NRT security is very strict and will not let you airside in the OW terminal. JL lounges are not available to you but in any case most of them are not that nice so it isn't a big loss.
Old May 22, 2006, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, Hyatt diamond.
Lounges at NRT

No great loss. None of the OW lounges at NRT is particulary good. I prefer the BA-lounge (AC has showers though), but it is not worth it to go early to the airport just for the lounges.

Best
Old May 22, 2006, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Hi - thanks. I looked at CX451 before booking but didn't want to chance the very tight connection time and wasn't familiar enough with NRT to know how close they are.

Originally Posted by christep
I don't think you'll be able to use any lounge - the Admiral's Club is departure side in the terminal where you arrive - JAA goes from the other terminal.

If your ticket is flexible and the flight is on time and you have no checked bags then I would be looking to get on CX451 at 16:00 which will depart from a gate very adjacent to where you come in on the AA flight and (if you are quick off the plane you could be round in departures within 5-10 mins).
Old May 22, 2006, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This is what I get for going for the double bonus miles on AA as part of the 25th ann.

Otherwise I would have taken SFO-HKG-TPE on CX and enjoyed the First Class Lounge for a couple hours.

thanks.

Originally Posted by number_6
Zero chance to use the AC or any of the Oneworld lounges at NRT unless you get a boarding pass for CX. NRT security is very strict and will not let you airside in the OW terminal. JL lounges are not available to you but in any case most of them are not that nice so it isn't a big loss.
Old May 23, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Thanks. This is what I get for going for the double bonus miles on AA as part of the 25th ann.

Otherwise I would have taken SFO-HKG-TPE on CX and enjoyed the First Class Lounge for a couple hours.

thanks.
You are willing to sacrifice a lot for miles if you willingly forgoe CX's first class lounge at Hong Kong. Doesn't CX have some flight bonuses going as well?
Old May 23, 2006, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
...Otherwise I would have taken SFO-HKG-TPE on CX and enjoyed the First Class Lounge for a couple hours.
You also cannot upgrade on CX, so the choice is really AA J vs. CX Y (plus the Wing). Making the AA routing via NRT more attractive, even without lounge access. CX451 isn't a legal connection so you couldn't have booked it in any case. It is unfortunate that JL lounges are so poor (hopefully when AA/CX move over to the JL terminal they will upgrade the lounges and not just use the existing JL mess). JL has one stunning lounge at NRT, but it isn't their F lounge, more like their equivalent of a Concorde Room, so it won't be open to OW Emeralds.

The one nice thing in NRT are some of the landside shops (not duty free) are quite good -- reasonably priced and with classic tokyo selection of goods. I often buy some japanese electronics/consumer goods that are not available in the US and worth getting. But you have to clear immigration to shop there, the airside shopping is pretty grim.
Old May 23, 2006, 4:15 pm

How 'bout this?

If I may hijack for a second... In July, my wife and I are flying DFW-NRT on AA in business using VIPs from paid coach, and then we're continuing on to BKK on JL in business using an AA mileage award (separate reservation). I'm EXP and an AC member. We have a 3 hour layover at NRT. Where should we spend our time?
Old May 23, 2006, 5:25 pm
Original Member

The same answer applies, except you have Sakura lounge access due to flying J on JL. No access to the OW lounges (AA/BA/CX) upon arrival at NRT as they are in the wrong terminal. You can either stay airside and transit to the JL terminal and stay in the JL lounge, or go through immigration and visit the shops/restaurants at both terminals (there is a connecting bus, allow an hour for transfer between terminals though it usually takes 10 minutes). Next year AA/CX (and maybe BA) are moving to the other (JL) terminal at NRT, but until then this process applies. Arrivals have no access to the departure lounge, unless having a boarding pass for a departure at that terminal.
Old May 23, 2006, 6:17 pm

On my regular flight of DFW-NRT(AA)- SGN(JL or VN) I have always able to stop at the Admirals Club and take a shower prior to taking the bus to the other terminal to connect with JL. You should be able to access the AC with your AC membership or EXP status.
Old May 23, 2006, 6:35 pm

Under what circumstances can one get into this lounge? Paid long haul JL F?
JL has one stunning lounge at NRT, but it isn't their F lounge, more like their equivalent of a Concorde Room, so it won't be open to OW Emeralds
Old May 23, 2006, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by AH-64D
On my regular flight of DFW-NRT(AA)- SGN(JL or VN) I have always able to stop at the Admirals Club and take a shower prior to taking the bus to the other terminal to connect with JL. You should be able to access the AC with your AC membership or EXP status.
So how do you get through the transit security in the AA terminal to get from Arrivals side to Departure side without an onward boarding pass for that terminal? Do they really accept a boarding pass going from a different terminal?
Old May 23, 2006, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by christep
So how do you get through the transit security in the AA terminal to get from Arrivals side to Departure side without an onward boarding pass for that terminal? Do they really accept a boarding pass going from a different terminal?
Transit security and the JL bus stop are in the same terminal as the AC. JL bus stop and the AC are on the Departure side. After AA arrival and passing through transit security I just go to the AC instead of going down stair to catch the JL connecting bus.
Old May 23, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Next year AA/CX (and maybe BA) are moving to the other (JL) terminal at NRT, but until then this process applies. Arrivals have no access to the departure lounge, unless having a boarding pass for a departure at that terminal.
Under current plan, BA will not move to Terminal 2, remains at T1 North Wing.
CX and AA move to T2 around 2006 Winter (Probably December).
T1 South Wing for Star Alliance opens at June 2nd.
NH and almost Star Alliance member airlines are moved to T1 at June 2nd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.