xONEx ex MRU

Old Apr 16, 06, 10:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Posts: 4,786
xONEx ex MRU

Looking at Mauritius prices, this looks tempting, however I can't get my chosen itin to validate (must be getting rusty on the rules).

Thinking of something along the lines of:

MRU-LHR-THR-LHR-IST-LHR-GRU-SCL-IPC-xSCL-EZE-xLHR-CPT-xLHR-MRU.

As far as I can work out, I come unstuck on passing through LON too many times - even though there's no way to get back to Africa from South America without first passing through London.

Any suggestions for how to fine tune this?
virtualtroy is offline  
Old Apr 16, 06, 11:11 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madrid, Spain & Santiago, Chile
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
...As far as I can work out, I come unstuck on passing through LON too many times...
You do not appear to go around the world. ¿Wouldn't that be a bigger issue?
Viajero is offline  
Old Apr 16, 06, 12:58 pm
  #3  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,227
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Looking at Mauritius prices, this looks tempting, however I can't get my chosen itin to validate (must be getting rusty on the rules).

Thinking of something along the lines of:

MRU-LHR-THR-LHR-IST-LHR-GRU-SCL-IPC-xSCL-EZE-xLHR-CPT-xLHR-MRU.

As far as I can work out, I come unstuck on passing through LON too many times - even though there's no way to get back to Africa from South America without first passing through London.

Any suggestions for how to fine tune this?
You're not crossing the Pacific, and you're entering Africa twice (i.e not at an approved "free" second entry point - Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya.)

Put in a transpac segment and wait till Comair launches JNB-MRU in the next few weeks - things will be easier.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Apr 16, 06 at 4:46 pm Reason: tax syn verse re
Gardyloo is offline  
Old Apr 16, 06, 10:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Any suggestions for how to fine tune this?
As the rules currently stand, you can't both start and end an xONEx in MRU, you have to open jaw it somewhere. However, as Gardyloo mentions, Comair are starting a service from South Africa to MRU in July (presumably ex-JNB). When that happens you could potentially do something like:

MRU-LHR-THR-LHR-IST-LHR-GRU-SCL-IPC-SCL-AKL-SYD-JNB-CPT-JNB-MRU

which would fit nicely into an xONE4.
mrboh is offline  
Old Apr 17, 06, 2:06 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Posts: 4,786
Originally Posted by mrboh
As the rules currently stand, you can't both start and end an xONEx in MRU, you have to open jaw it somewhere. However, as Gardyloo mentions, Comair are starting a service from South Africa to MRU in July (presumably ex-JNB). When that happens you could potentially do something like:

MRU-LHR-THR-LHR-IST-LHR-GRU-SCL-IPC-SCL-AKL-SYD-JNB-CPT-JNB-MRU

which would fit nicely into an xONE4.
Thanks. How bizarre not to be able to return to the point of origin???

I wasn't aware of the new Comair service, so useful to know about. Thanks alot.
virtualtroy is offline  
Old May 2, 06, 1:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: LAX
Posts: 3,520
Originally Posted by mrboh
As the rules currently stand, you can't both start and end an xONEx in MRU, you have to open jaw it somewhere. However, as Gardyloo mentions, Comair are starting a service from South Africa to MRU in July (presumably ex-JNB). When that happens you could potentially do something like:

MRU-LHR-THR-LHR-IST-LHR-GRU-SCL-IPC-SCL-AKL-SYD-JNB-CPT-JNB-MRU

which would fit nicely into an xONE4.
Unfortunately neither the Cathay trip planner nor the BA on-line booking engine offer either CPT-MRU or JNB-MRU (for early August) except via LHR. Afaik Comair flights should be visible on the BA site.
JohnAx is offline  
Old May 2, 06, 2:22 pm
  #7  
Moderator, OneWorld
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEA
Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Posts: 10,227
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Unfortunately neither the Cathay trip planner nor the BA on-line booking engine offer either CPT-MRU or JNB-MRU (for early August) except via LHR. Afaik Comair flights should be visible on the BA site.
Obviously they're not in the systems yet. According to the MRU airport website there are slots for a Comair plane (733) on Saturdays "April and 6th May," but no flight nos. listed, so I'm guessing Comair is still working on ground handling, overwater training, etc. Or, the idea's been scrubbed. Comair's website is currently inop, so nothing from the mouth of the horse.
Gardyloo is offline  
Old May 2, 06, 7:36 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
Posts: 5,443
You don't have to end the OWE in MRU; you can end your RTW anywhere in Africa. So just getting back to NBO (via LHR) or JNB (via HKG/SYD) would be sufficient.
hauteboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread