Wiki Posts
Search

AONE question - advance purchase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
AONE question - advance purchase

Do advance purchase requirements still apply when part of an AONE ticket - eg LHR-LAX in A usually requires a 42 day advance purchase if bought separately. Tried to search but couldn't find the answer. Am planning an AONE3 in May which starts IST-LHR-LAX......so less than 42 days time.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Only the advance purchase rules, if any, for an xONEx (e.g., 10(?) days advance purchase if purchasing in the US).
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Japhydog
No. Only the advance purchase rules, if any, for an xONEx (e.g., 10(?) days advance purchase if purchasing in the US).
great...thanks for quick reply.

new to this, but my planned routing for AONE3 is:

IST-LHR-LAX-LAS-DFW-IAD-DFW-JFK-SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-NRT-LHR-DME-LHR-IST

seems to be acceptable

With the IST sales office now closed, does this mean I have to book through the Bremen call centre?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:53 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by irmster
With the IST sales office now closed, does this mean I have to book through the Bremen call centre?
You can "book" with basically any OW office/desk..(BA/AA RTW among others, just like booking any other ticket...) Once you have a valid ITN you can contact the "ticketing" point in your country of origin, which in your case seems to be the call center you mentioned.

Please post your experiences with Bremen / IST pick-up. No information yet how it goes now after IST was closed...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:21 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Apparently pickup at IST airport is still reasonably easy; you may need to communicate via the Bremen phone people.

Note you don't have all that many true FC-offering flights in your itinerary. IIRC CX doesn't offer F to/from BKK. And you probably know that D books into first class on AA flights in the USA (except transcon 3-classes.) Since the price difference between an AONE3 ex-IST and a DONE3 ex-IST is around US$2000, you'll need to decide if the few international FC flights are worth the difference.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Apparently pickup at IST airport is still reasonably easy; you may need to communicate via the Bremen phone people.

Note you don't have all that many true FC-offering flights in your itinerary. IIRC CX doesn't offer F to/from BKK. And you probably know that D books into first class on AA flights in the USA (except transcon 3-classes.) Since the price difference between an AONE3 ex-IST and a DONE3 ex-IST is around US$2000, you'll need to decide if the few international FC flights are worth the difference.
Fair point - although CX does offer F on some flights to both BKK and NRT. For the segments I am planning to take before the expiry of my BA membership year, the AONE3 will get me to Gold but the DONE3 will not.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Note you don't have all that many true FC-offering flights in your itinerary.
Well it has all the long hauls. a US transcon and one segment in Asia, so even if optimising for F you would only take 3 more short hauls in Asia (replace BKK with another trip to NRT?) and 2 in Europe (replace DME with somewhere in the Middle East). You still have one segment in Asia, and I have to say that I would prefer NRT-HKG-LHR on CX to the BA NRT-LHR.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR-LAX
JFK-SFO (some flights, but even the 2-class have good seats/service)
SFO-HKG
NRT-LHR (I too would prefer NRT-HKG-LHR on CX)
Plus possibly HKG-BKK or v.v. (I think there's at least 1 744 with F, but it might be in only one direction and it might not be daily)
And possibly HKG-NRT (worth it for the Kaiseki meal)

So 4 longhauls in F, potentially 2 longhauls on CX (and 2-3 more shorthauls), I think it's worth the $2K...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:03 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Once the OP said it was for the tier points, I understood why the AONE3. Of course it could be optimised for more tier pts, but if this route gets irmster to Gold, cool.

I will point out that LAX-LAS is all Eagle now, so no FC.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:16 am

Programs: QF Plat, Asiana Diamond Plus
And you probably know that D books into first class on AA flights in the USA (except transcon 3-classes.) Since the price difference between an AONE3 ex-IST and a DONE3 ex-IST is around US$2000, you'll need to decide if the few international FC flights are worth the difference.
I'm interested in your comment that D books into first class on AA within the US. Just booked a DCIR22 and the QF agent insisted that it booked into economy for the AA sector from DFW-LAX. Should I query Qf about this?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:32 am
Suspended

According to the starfiles here: http://www.hardlink.com/~markdu/OWFi...kingCodes.html
Yes you should - DCIR22 clearly book into A (if available) for DFW-LAX.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Once the OP said it was for the tier points, I understood why the AONE3. Of course it could be optimised for more tier pts, but if this route gets irmster to Gold, cool.

I will point out that LAX-LAS is all Eagle now, so no FC.
Well it's mainly to get me to both BKK and LAS on the same trip....but then I realised I could get to Gold at the same time

I too would prefer NRT-HKG-LHR on CX
I've only flown BA F before, which I enjoyed. What is the difference in CX?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:59 am
Suspended

AVOD, Caviar, 2 less seats in the cabin (*) (= more space/privacy), and a much more consistently excellent level of service from the crew. On the down side I find the BA seat a bit more comfortable as a seat, although the CX one works fine as a bed, and has the drop down arm to make getting in and out much easier whilst the table is set.

And on the HKG-NRT-HKG non-stops with 3-class, F gets a very good Japanese Kaiseki style meal.

(*) On the 747, which I would prefer to the A340 for the HKG-LHR if possible.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, nicer PJs! (Shanghai Tang on CX)
Though I think the male Elemis amenity kit on CX leaves a bit to be desired. Not sure what BA is serving these days, it's been about a year since my last BA F flight. (Of course the eye shades and earplugs are all that really matter...)
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
IST-LHR-LAX-LAS-DFW-IAD-DFW-JFK-SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-NRT-LHR-DME-LHR-IST
Where do you fly on the JFK SFO HKG trip?

I noticed recently, that you can go JFK-YYR and I think then HKG with Cathay or is SFO - HKG Cathay too?

btw if it is one flight number but stops in YYR - will this count as a transcon also? Because then

How about IST-LHR-SFO // SJC-LAX-LAS-DFW-IAD-JFK-YYR for the first part? Being both in LAx and SFo for a short time, I don't think Lax has anything to offer but SFO has a lot. ))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.