Wiki Posts
Search

"Must Fly" Flights on RTW (AONE6)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:28 am
LLZ
Original Poster

"Must Fly" Flights on RTW (AONE6)

I am doing preliminary research and planning for the trip above...I'm thinking of September...surely that's enough to plan all this? Is this a good time as far as availability, or is there such a thing with these?

The prospect of flying some of these routes has me absolutely salivating already...SYD-LHR, or SYD-JFK, LHR-MEX, NRT-LHR, just to name a few, that come to mind.

I'm wondering, what routes should one absolutely do to enjoy the finest OW has to offer, from the experts here?

I am not going to have a lot of time to spend at my destinations....this first one is going to be more of a glamorous MR, than a true RTW as most people might envision, because I won't be spending more than 2 or 3 days at any destination due to time limitations...

I also think I'm going to take advantage of the Cairo prices and start my trip there. Is there one particular agent that everyone deals with or? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Below are some cities that are pretty much must-do's on this:

ANC (not sure where to put this, I've tried to list the others geographically)
CAI
JNB or CPT
MEX
CCS
GIG
SCL
IPC
AKL
SYD
PER
HKG
SIN
LHR
MAD
FRA

How does this look to start? Which "must do" flights can I incorporate into these cities?

I've really left off US (except for ANC) because there really isn't anywhere I want to go, or haven't already been...any add'l flights I have would just be for mileage accrual purposes (which I do want to maximize as well).

Also, all of this will be credited to my AAdvantage account, @ 1.5 q-pts/mile right (unless J is only available in which case 1.25)?

Apologies if the post is "all over the place"....that's kind of where I still am with this, and I guess appropriate considering what I'm doing
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
I will kick start the thread with a negative, sorry: CCS on a 'glamorous' trip on F? Why? What's there? and how do you plan to fly in/out in style?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:11 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero
I will kick start the thread with a negative, sorry: CCS on a 'glamorous' trip on F? Why? What's there? and how do you plan to fly in/out in style?
Thanks for the help....that's one city out of how many? I didn't really expect much in/out of CCS....most likely it'll be on AA and then LA to get me out.... What do you care why I want to go to CCS?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by LLZ
I am doing preliminary research and planning for the trip above...I'm thinking of September...surely that's enough to plan all this? Is this a good time as far as availability, or is there such a thing with these?

Also, all of this will be credited to my AAdvantage account, @ 1.5 q-pts/mile right (unless J is only available in which case 1.25)?

All biz and first class earn 1.5 q-pts in AAdvantage, while biz class only earns 1.25 q-miles.

I agree that CCS is a city to skip, maybe add EZE instead. If your not keen on ANC (except for the miles), drop ANC and have 1 N. American transcon, either LAX/SFO-JFK or YVR-JFK in first on CX.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
What about HKG-JFK non-stop on CX?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by LLZ
Thanks for the help....that's one city out of how many? I didn't really expect much in/out of CCS....most likely it'll be on AA and then LA to get me out.... What do you care why I want to go to CCS?
What do I care? not much, really, I was merely trying to help, in case you had never been there, and perhaps thought it was a nice destination. Having been there myself, many, many times, and knowing for a fact it is one of the nastiest places you can get to in S.A., I felt in would be in your interest to strike it off your list.

But of course, now that I know you have your reasons for going there I obviously take it all back and offer my apologies if I offended you in any way.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:40 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headinclouds
All biz and first class earn 1.5 q-pts in AAdvantage, while biz class only earns 1.25 q-miles.

I agree that CCS is a city to skip, maybe add EZE instead. If your not keen on ANC (except for the miles), drop ANC and have 1 N. American transcon, either LAX/SFO-JFK or YVR-JFK in first on CX.
Folks I'm familiar with the Caracas situation...I lived there, I have friends there...I'm going to stop there. I go to EZE (among other SA cities) quite frequently for work. It's not on my itinerary...

I've also done/do JFK-LAX/SFO in J and P....so it's not a big deal but certainly the best way to go transcon in the US if necessary. Appreciate the YVR-JFK suggestion though, as I wasn't aware of it.

Part of my goal is to also fly some more "unusual" routes when possible ....everybody and their brother has flown LHR-JFK....how many have flown CCS-SCL?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:47 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero
What do I care? not much, really, I was merely trying to help, in case you had never been there, and perhaps thought it was a nice destination. Having been there myself, many, many times, and knowing for a fact it is one of the nastiest places you can get to in S.A., I felt in would be in your interest to strike it off your list.

But of course, now that I know you have your reasons for going there I obviously take it all back and offer my apologies if I offended you in any way.
None taken (I just wasn't aware cities had to pass muster, but do understand your caution)...I really don't see how Caracas is any worse than Rio, Sao Paulo, or Mexico City, as they all have their good and bad areas... As always, YMMV.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Interesting question. Here are some of my favorite OW F flights:

GIG-GRU-SCL on LAN.

LAX-LIM-SCL on LAN.

JFK-LAX on AA.

HKG-LHR on CX.

SYD-HKG on CX.

HKG-NRT-HKG on CX.

HKG-BKK on CX.

LHR-DXB-LHR on BA.

If you want unusual routes, you can do no better than LAN's SCL-IPC (Easter Island) flight. Although it is only a two-class flight, it is unique and a popular choice for RTWs.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by LLZ

The prospect of flying some of these routes has me absolutely salivating already...SYD-LHR, or SYD-JFK, LHR-MEX, NRT-LHR, just to name a few, that come to mind.

I'm wondering, what routes should one absolutely do to enjoy the finest OW has to offer, from the experts here?

I am not going to have a lot of time to spend at my destinations....this first one is going to be more of a glamorous MR, than a true RTW as most people might envision, because I won't be spending more than 2 or 3 days at any destination due to time limitations...

I also think I'm going to take advantage of the Cairo prices and start my trip there. Is there one particular agent that everyone deals with or? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Below are some cities that are pretty much must-do's on this:

ANC (not sure where to put this, I've tried to list the others geographically)
CAI
JNB or CPT
MEX
CCS
GIG
SCL
IPC
AKL
SYD
PER
HKG
SIN
LHR
MAD
FRA

How does this look to start? Which "must do" flights can I incorporate into these cities?

I've really left off US (except for ANC) because there really isn't anywhere I want to go, or haven't already been...any add'l flights I have would just be for mileage accrual purposes (which I do want to maximize as well).

Apologies if the post is "all over the place"....that's kind of where I still am with this, and I guess appropriate considering what I'm doing
First, if it was me I would try to cut it down to an AONE4 or 5 and maybe think about doing some of those destinations the next year on another AONEX. The 20 segment max just doesn't make the 6 continent ticket as much of a value anymore.

As for purchasing in CAI there is a ton of info on the board about who to call and email at EMECO travel. Mrs. Sobhi at BA is also apparently doing rtw's again. Search is back up; searching for emeco, cairo, or sobhi should give you all the info you need.

As for favorite routes for me it isn't the real long hauls. F makes the 12 to 14 hours better than the alternatives but I am usually trying to sleep for a lot of it and not really enjoying the F amenities. Mid-length F long hauls like CX SYD-HKG, BA CAI-LHR, are my favorites. CX HKG-NRT is wonderful with the Kaiseki meal option. Any CX or BA flight in F is usually going to be quite good.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:07 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Thanks for your favorites PresRDC. I'm surprised QF wasn't on the SYD-HKG....everything I've ever heard/read about them was quite good....??

jerry a. laska, that sounds like good advice re reducing it to a 4 or 5...especially since I only have two cities on the African list....save that for another time. Also like your suggestion as to mid-length F flights, as I do want to enjoy the service as much as possible, rather than sleeping through it.

You didn't mention QF either.. Have they been taking cues from US carriers?

Viajero, given my CCS limitation, do you have any recommendations getting in/out of there, other than what I mentioned?

Thanks for the replies!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:29 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Skip North America

Hi,

I would take the AONE5 option and skip North America totally.

I will make my comments as if you are going Eastbound. They work as well Westbound!

So ex CAI, you are going in F so that has to be LHR. You can now haul out to Africa again with the Cape Town, as most people prefer it to being hijacked/mugged etc in JNB. If you want to go to Namibia then you will need JNB for the comair link. Namibia can be absolutely spectacular and has a good game record in the Etosha salt pan area. Victoria Falls off JNB? Add a visit Africa economy ticket to save sectors if you want here.

Now to get out, you have to come off JNB to HKG, that is the only way out of Africa to Asia. For hopping around Asia there is not a lot that carries First but there are some CX flights but you do not appear to want to see much here.

This would put you on a QF or CX on Asia-South West Pacific and you need to make sure that you get a three class 744 for QF and not the regional Asia two class aircraft configuration on CX (although the other day I did get a 744 on HKG-Cebu in 3 class with no F sold and I manage to blag my way into the empty cabin for two hours of horizontal rest!). Perth is not going to liberate much chance of an F seat but they do turn up occasionally.

You could have skipped Asia and gone JNB to SYD direct on QF to cut out another continent!

SWP to South America is going to be on the LAN Chile A340. There are 5 F seats from memory. If you are AA FFP then you need to look if you get a different mileage bonus for the QF half as opposed to the LA part of this flight. The route is SYD to AKL and then SCL. This is the only flight to carry F on the SYD to AKL route, if memory serves.

Getting out of South America in F direct to Europe is a bit of a challenge but you could take the SCL to MAD/FRA Lan Chile flight in F or otherwise you have to get to EZE/GRU/GIG for the BA flights to London. You will need coupon 20 for Egypt off London, unless you want to take the slightly more obscure route of the Business class option on Iberia off MAD as the way to finish.

I hope that this gives you a start.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by LLZ
Viajero, given my CCS limitation, do you have any recommendations getting in/out of there, other than what I mentioned?
None, I am afraid. AFAIK your options are limited to SCL or LIM.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:17 pm

BA flies CCS-LON
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:59 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
BA off CCS

Sorry, BA have stopped flying the BOG and CCS routes. I was on almost the last one the other day. Your options for ex South America in F do not include Iberia as they have killed F class.

Bring back the beautiful Christina from CCS into the BA cabin crew fleet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.