Wiki Posts
Search

"Must Fly" Flights on RTW (AONE6)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LLZ
Thanks for your favorites PresRDC. I'm surprised QF wasn't on the SYD-HKG....everything I've ever heard/read about them was quite good....??
QF probably is quite nice on that route. I only included flights of which I have personal experience and I have not used QF on that route. My only QF longhaul experience to date was the QF 002 from BKK to SYD in 2002, which I considered fine, but nothing special. The crew was great, but the service was just okay. I blame it on being the shorter leg of the LHR-SYD flight and, a "short" longhaul flight.

I really reccomend the LAN LAX-SCL flight (stops in LIM). It is a perennial favorite of FTers due to its early afternoon departure and, in the past, at least, the fact that LAN uses an A340 on that route. GIG-GRU-SCL (all one flight number) is another good one, as it features a great meal service ex-GRU (almost the same quality as the intercontinental flights, minus the caviar). I know you are a frequernt user of the AA AFS flights, but,as was noted above, you can also use CX on the JFK-YVR (or vice versa) or QF on JFK-LAX (and vice versa) for your one transcon flight.

Enjoy the planning. It is a large part of the fun of RTW travel.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PresRDC
... I really reccomend the LAN LAX-SCL flight (stops in LIM). It is a perennial favorite of FTers due to its early afternoon departure and, in the past, at least, the fact that LAN uses an A340 on that route....
The departure time is great, and it is a 340, but alas, not every day, unfortunately. My last flight, last month, was on a 763.

By the way I must be getting too old for this or something but that stop in LIM kills me, with the door open and all of us just sitting there, for 1.5-2hrs, in the middle of the night (well, sort of, local time).
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Viajero
The departure time is great, and it is a 340, but alas, not every day, unfortunately. My last flight, last month, was on a 763.

By the way I must be getting too old for this or something but that stop in LIM kills me, with the door open and all of us just sitting there, for 1.5-2hrs, in the middle of the night (well, sort of, local time).
Yeah, it may actually be operating all 763 for the time being. LAN needs another A340.

The LIM stop is annoying, but if LAN nees to make it to make the flight profitable, I'm all for it.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:05 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Viajero, we are both getting old...

Now I know that it is better to travel in anticipation than to arrive but I still get a kick out of trying to get the best value from a xONEx and I have dONE about 40 round the world trips.

Hell, just as I have optimised the route structure for the QF status point collection, they go and change the mileage tables. Ah well, back to the spreadsheets...
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:55 am

RTW City/Routing Suggestions

Hey, you guys. Thanks for all the "new" routing, carrier, equipment and city comments. Somewhat seasoned RTW'er here enjoyed the thread. Has given me some ideas for changes to my next RTW for more interesting stops and flights.

Last edited by MiamiPrep; Mar 1, 2005 at 10:56 am Reason: sp error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.