Wiki Posts
Search

Ba 109/108

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2004, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Ba 109/108

(I posted this on the BA forum, but didn't get anything, so I'm hoping it may be different here...)

In short, I'm doing LHR-DXB-LHR as part of my DONE4. I'm basically turning around back to LHR on the next flight. My TA couldn't confirm the return flight, but ITN shows D9. Any reasons why? Anything I should be worried about?
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Leumas
(I posted this on the BA forum, but didn't get anything, so I'm hoping it may be different here...)

In short, I'm doing LHR-DXB-LHR as part of my DONE4. I'm basically turning around back to LHR on the next flight. My TA couldn't confirm the return flight, but ITN shows D9. Any reasons why? Anything I should be worried about?
Unless it doesn't matter to you whether or not you get on the turn-around, I'd suggest calling BA and asking for the flight. Although note that if you book through a TA, the TA "owns" the booking until after the first segment has been flown, and BA may correctly tell you they can't help you. In that case you might simply ask if there's any reason why your TA shouldn't be able to book it for you.

What does your ticket show for that segment?
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:49 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I had the same thing on a BA JFK-LHR flight for my DONE4. My TA explained that BA restrict the quantity of seats available to different markets for some flights. So what I am seeing on ITN is the availability for sale in the USA market, and that may differ from what your TA in NZ or or my TA in Australia is able to sell.

However, if ITN is showing D9, then get onto the waitlist and it is very likely to clear. Mine did after being on the waitlist for about a week (this was about a month before that flight date). It seems BA will review the waitlist and teh chances of clearing are very good if there is still a lot of D available on ITN for the USA market.

After my waitlist had cleared, I eneded up changing to a different flight to cater for a changed connection at LHR. But then even later wanted to go back to the originally waitlisted flight due to some other changes, and I was able to be confirmed straight onto it, so it seems BA had opened up the D for Australian sales and left it there even after I changed.

I had not come across that before, and any time ITN showed D available I was able to book it from Australia. So I was at a loss as to why I had to be waitlisted. I had to push the TA for an explanation, and she said "Well, its a bit complicated, but it works like this ...". I am just passing on her comments and she has been pretty good/accurate with info in the past - although I have had to clarify a couple of xONEx rules for her .

Last edited by NM; Jul 18, 2004 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I talked to my TA again (well, an email conversation)... I asked her to talk to BA or whoever to see whether seats can be freed up. She said she talked to BA and they said they simply haven't opened up the yield yet. BA said they'll chase it (presumably with London), but basically said 'wait and see'...

My initial reaction was that since the flight is so far away (April), I'm not too worried. On the other hand, I'm already on a tight timeframe, and I don't want to cut into my London stopover...

I don't have my tickets yet, I haven't paid for it except a deposit. The itinerary on things like CheckMyTrip and QFF show that flight to be waitlisted.

Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Just from personal experience, I have never had a problem booking into LHR-DXB-LHR 109/108 turnaround. These flights have never been full. Sometimes I think only FTers fly that route
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by alect
Just from personal experience, I have never had a problem booking into LHR-DXB-LHR 109/108 turnaround. These flights have never been full. Sometimes I think only FTers fly that route
I was told by a gate agent one time that the flight is one of the highest noshow flights in the BA network becasue so many are full fare tickets. Dont know if its true but I agree that the flight is seldom full.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:47 am

bringing up this subject again. i have done the dxb turnarounds as part of a aone with paper tickets. however this time i am ending a rtw in dxb and returning on a separate ticket (probably electronic). i plan to fly 107/106 which has 3 hours between flights. any recent experiences that would indicate problems. the departing flight will be in wt+ and only cabin baggage.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
bringing up this subject again. i have done the dxb turnarounds as part of a aone with paper tickets. however this time i am ending a rtw in dxb and returning on a separate ticket (probably electronic). i plan to fly 107/106 which has 3 hours between flights. any recent experiences that would indicate problems. the departing flight will be in wt+ and only cabin baggage.
I did 107/106 a few days ago. Was in the BA lounge only a few minutes after arrival (no checked bags), boarded for the flight back just as easily. Not a single problem to report, except boredom, which suits me fine when doing turnarounds.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:19 pm

thanks, viajero. how were the loads on the flight back to lhr?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
thanks, viajero. how were the loads on the flight back to lhr?
Only one seat empty in J, and lots of children, strangely enough. I don't know about the other cabins but I can tell you the gate lounge appeared only half full to me.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NM
I had the same thing on a BA JFK-LHR flight for my DONE4. My TA explained that BA restrict the quantity of seats available to different markets for some flights. So what I am seeing on ITN is the availability for sale in the USA market, and that may differ from what your TA in NZ or or my TA in Australia is able to sell....
I had similar problem with a CX issued DONE4 in BKK for LHR-SYD. ITN showed D9 but all CX could book was WL. It took the CX agent to talk directly to QF res. and about 24 hrs delay for 2 seats to be "opened up" for us.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've taken the LHR-DXB flight 3 times, and of the 6 segments once I was the only pax (in 17 seat F cabin on 777), once it was overbooked and people left behind (DXB-LHR in Feb) and the rest were 2/3 full. No idea about J/Y bookings but I do think the loads vary a lot, also time of year has quite a bit to do with it (nobody in their right mind flies to DXB in July, it is incredibly hot). April is probably quite heavy load and yes, I would worry about getting D space on that flight, insist your TA give up the booking if they can't get the space confirmed now. It could become D0J9 closer to flight date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.