Sensible attire/luggage?

Old Jul 1, 04, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Sensible attire/luggage?

1. What would be the minimum level of attire you would consider sensible, for a male on a non-business trip, traveling on a RTW for a month or so, in D or A, wishing to feel comfortable and not "out of place", both in the air and in the lounges?

2. How would you describe the "best" set of luggage? I would like to limit my luggage to carry-on only, and to stay well within OW regulations at the same time. In other words, what's a perfectly safe (regulations) and sensible (comfort) combination for hand luggage?

Many thanks for all answers

Last edited by Viajero; Jul 1, 04 at 6:51 am
Old Jul 1, 04, 7:14 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
Originally Posted by Viajero
1. What would be the minimum level of attire you would consider sensible, for a male on a non-business trip, traveling on a RTW for a month or so, in D or A, wishing to feel comfortable and not "out of place", both in the air and in the lounges?
i'm assuming you want to know if its acceptable to sit in a t-shirt , and a thong/ y -fronts ? (ala avid merrion)
i suppose it depends on what sort of reaction you want from the crew.. and how the package looks !
Old Jul 1, 04, 7:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
All the OW airlines allow 2 full carryons in F for international flights (but not all allow this much in J). So if you are flying in F most of the time you could get away with a rollaboard and a piggyback case designed to slip onto the carry handle. This gives you double the packing space of a single carry-on and is just as easy to carry. But it has to be a set that is designed to be used this way, otherwise it doesn't work with 2 full size carry-ons (I use a samsonite, usually just the base unit but with the 2nd piece when I really need the space, and it can either be carried on or checked; no problem living indefinitely out of those two bags).
As for clothing, a bigger issue on a RTW is winter/summer. I always run into temperatures from below freezing to sweltering on a RTW trip (thanks to my taste in destinations), so remember to take the climate into account. I rely on microfiber and goretex. As for onboard, change into the pyjamas before takeoff and it really doesn't matter what your clothes were.
Old Jul 1, 04, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ajinlondon
i'm assuming you want to know if its acceptable to sit in a t-shirt , and a thong/ y -fronts ? (ala avid merrion)
i suppose it depends on what sort of reaction you want from the crew.. and how the package looks !
Not really. I just want to know what's sensible in the opinion of those who frequently travel A/D and visit the lounges. I don't, hence my question.
Old Jul 1, 04, 8:40 am

Packed (by that I mean not including what I am wearing), I take two pants, two shirts, some skivvies, socks, toiletries, my passport, and my visa card. If it doesnt fit into my trusty 18 inch travelpro suitcase then it comes back out. If you are traveling for a long time and long distances, pack as little as possible. Depending on how big or small you are and where you are going, you can often buy clothes wherever you are if you get in a pinch. My first long trip, I took a 30 inch and a 24 inch. Second, only the 24. Subsequently it has either been the 18 and my carry bag or just the 18. Depends where I am going and whether I need to take my computer. I like the travelpro bags that I have. They have held up well and the discontinued models are often put on sale for quite a discount. As far as dress is concerned, if youre asking then you probably wont have a problem. I dont do shorts when traveling because too many places regard them as tacky and frankly I dont think they are that much cooler. In the air, most of the oneworld carriers give sleeper suits.
Old Jul 1, 04, 9:42 am

2. How would you describe the "best" set of luggage? I would like to limit my luggage to carry-on only, and to stay well within OW regulations at the same time. In other words, what's a perfectly safe (regulations) and sensible (comfort) combination for hand luggage?

Minimum recommended attire in first: slacks, short-sleeved colored "dress" shirt without tie, street (non-tennis) shoes. That's also "maximum recommended" - usually all but the most severe business folks make themselves "at home" in a first-class cabin they've become comfortable with.

Perfectly-safe carryon is obviously one regulation-sized rollaboard plus some material in hand. Likely-to-be-allowed in first, on the other hand, is quite a bit more than that.

Note that I'm talking about "real" international first class here. If you find yourself heading toward a "first class" seat on a two-class American flight, be sure to adjust your thinking to "business class" or you'll be quite surprised. The rollaboard will work, but you probably won't get away with acres more stuff. The costume will still be perfectably acceptable, but you might find more jeans in the cabin with you.
Old Jul 1, 04, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it most comfortable to travel in a pair of jeans, leather Camper shoes and a cotton/linen short of the non-formal variety. Add in a cashmere sweater for cooler climes and you are good to go.

As stated above, how much you need to take in total is driven by where and when. I am on an RTW in August from LHR to Asia, N America and home. Nowhere is going to be less than 28 so everything will fit in one 18" roller case. The same trip in the middle of January needs a lot more room.
Old Jul 1, 04, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
On my August 2002 RTW, I was in both the northern and southern hemispheres and experienced both winter and summer. I decided to take an 18 in rollaboard and a 25 in rollaboard (same design as 18 incher, but bigger). I carried two days of clothes, toiletries and my in-flight entertainment (books, laptop) in the 18 incher and checked the rest in the 25 incher. This way, should the checked bag get lost, I still had two days of clothes to get by with. On short trips, I make due with just the rollaboard, but once I start bringing extra shoes and replacement toiletries for a long trip, I need something bigger.

As for dress in F cabins, JohnAx's description would be fine, but I would think that a golf shirt would also be appropriate. I never wear the sleeper suits given-out as they are too hot for me, but, on a long flight, will change into a t-shirt and warm-up pants once airborne and change back prior to landing. I figure if everyone else is in PJs, my t-shirt and warm-up pants become much less uncouth.
Old Jul 1, 04, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990
Easy Answer...

1. ZARA. I find that they have a great selection of casual clothes that are both comfortable and stylish.

2. 20-22" carry-on bag and a Rak-gear daypack for my electronics and anything fragile that I collect enroute.

This combination was ideal for a DONE4 during the month of February, which covered both frigid and tropical climates within a 3 week period. However, due to my tendency of buying souvenirs for friends and family, the daypack weighed nearly as much as my carry-on bag by the end of the trip!
Old Jul 2, 04, 1:22 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
It's nice of you to be so concerned re what you should wear, but unless you're travelling in D and hoping to bag an UG to F, why should you worry? Who are you trying to impress?

All this stuff about don't wear 'tennis shoes' is b**locks (IMHO).
Old Jul 2, 04, 1:31 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
It's nice of you to be so concerned re what you should wear, but unless you're travelling in D and hoping to bag an UG to F, why should you worry? Who are you trying to impress?

I agree - if I buy a ticket for that class, I will wear whatever I d**n well please!
Old Jul 2, 04, 1:32 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by [email protected]
1. ZARA. I find that they have a great selection of casual clothes that are both comfortable and stylish.
Don't know about its applicability to F or otherwise, but ZARA is one of my favourite stores - I never fail to find something when I go in. And they're finally opening up a store here in LA - Santa Monica
Old Jul 2, 04, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by virtualtroy

IMHO what you wear has SFA to do with whether you get an UG to F

Since JtheJ has had same when much the worse for wear (aka pissed) AND wearing Tesco jeans (the points my boy...the points) and a fleece...I have doubts about the 'advice' given on a regular basis regards what one 'should' wear...
Old Jul 2, 04, 4:01 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Post Business Casual

I would dress "Business Casual" (just like at the office) when flying A/D and would not wear anything considered "Unacceptable Attire".

The following is part of a memo from the human resource department for where I work:

Code:
General Recommendations
These general guidelines apply regarding dress code, consistent with the company’s Personal Appearance and Dress Code policy - full policy content may be found in the Policy Manual, or on the corporate intranet site.
 o Extremes of fashion are to be avoided in the workplace
 o Cleanliness and neatness are critical to a professional working environment
 o If a Manager deems an employee’s attire to be inappropriate, the employee may be asked to leave the workplace until properly dressed. The employee will not be paid for time away from work for this purpose.
 o Management may make occasional exceptions if something specific would appropriately exempt certain employees from these guidelines (e.g., moving days, management-sponsored theme days).
While a full listing of appropriate and inappropriate attire is far too lengthy, employees should use their good judgment to ensure their dress is suitable for a professional work environment. If unsure, go conservative!

Monday to Thursday - Recommended Business Casual Attire
 o Casual skirts, dresses and pants (e.g., Dockers, khakis) - no blue jean apparel, whether pants, dresses or skirts
 o Casual dress shirts, sweaters, Polo/Golf shirts – no T-shirts or sweatshirts
 o Dress shorts, walking shorts – no short shorts
 o Dress shoes, casual walking shoes, or dress sandals
Fridays only – Jeans Day
 o Blue jean denim apparel (pants, skirts or dresses) appropriate on Fridaysonly
 o Plain T-shirts or plain sweatshirts acceptable on Fridays only
 o Fridays are not “anything goes” days – items listed below as “unacceptable” remain so on Fridays
 o Athletic shoes on Fridays only

Unacceptable Office Attire at any time
 o No hats in the office any day – exception only at management sponsored event/theme days
 o No sweat pants, leggings, gym or athletic wear
 o No sports team jerseys
 o No short-shorts, cutoffs, beach shorts or bicycle shorts
 o No short dresses, short skirts, short tops, tube tops, halter tops
 o No T-shirts or sweatshirts with offensive pictures, remarks or slogans 
 o No beach or thong sandals
Internal or external business meetings
As a company representative, employees should wear business attire to on- or off-site meetings with business clients.
Old Jul 2, 04, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990
Originally Posted by alect
Don't know about its applicability to F or otherwise, but ZARA is one of my favourite stores - I never fail to find something when I go in. And they're finally opening up a store here in LA - Santa Monica
I did get mildly excited when ZARA opened its Miami store a few years ago but after checking prices and selection, my preference was still with the stores back in Spain. And for some strange reason, the ZARA retail staff in Spain seem to look much nicer (and better looking) than the MIA staff...

Search this Thread