Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

HKG F lounge access on JL C->F connecting flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC

I'm at HKG departing on JL 936 in C (2-class aircraft) to NRT connecting to JL 4 F (3-class) to JFK at 18xx today. I came from Macau on the ferry and once airside went to The Pier to check out the F lounge. I handed the F boarding pass to the check-in person, who said "wrong boarding pass" and I then handed her the 4h C boarding pass for HKG-NRT. I was directed to the C lounge.

I thought the rule was your highest class of service determined lounge access, and only some specifically exempted F or above-F lounges were excluded from other OW carrier pax. I asked upstairs and was denied (which I accepted, as my flight will board shortly, and I just wanted to see the lounge before leaving), although on leaving on the ground floor I was told "spoke to manager and you have access to F", but I was already leaving so didn't go back.

Were the two lounge separate dragons incorrect, or is my understanding of the OW lounge access rules incorrect? I don't really care for today (The Deck is closer and I don't have time for a shower or anything which is better in the F area of The Pier), but I'll likely be flying C->F on JL ex-Macau/HKG frequently and it would be good to know for the future.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've had similar before and was only able to access the C lounge at the initial airport and then had F lounge at the connecting airport since that was the only flight with F.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I'm at HKG departing on JL 936 in C (2-class aircraft) to NRT connecting to JL 4 F (3-class) to JFK at 18xx today. I came from Macau on the ferry and once airside went to The Pier to check out the F lounge. I handed the F boarding pass to the check-in person, who said "wrong boarding pass" and I then handed her the 4h C boarding pass for HKG-NRT. I was directed to the C lounge.

I thought the rule was your highest class of service determined lounge access, and only some specifically exempted F or above-F lounges were excluded from other OW carrier pax. I asked upstairs and was denied (which I accepted, as my flight will board shortly, and I just wanted to see the lounge before leaving), although on leaving on the ground floor I was told "spoke to manager and you have access to F", but I was already leaving so didn't go back.

Were the two lounge separate dragons incorrect, or is my understanding of the OW lounge access rules incorrect? I don't really care for today (The Deck is closer and I don't have time for a shower or anything which is better in the F area of The Pier), but I'll likely be flying C->F on JL ex-Macau/HKG frequently and it would be good to know for the future.
I believe you meant JL736. The flight is 4 hrs long (less than 5 hrs), and you should have been given access to the F lounge. Next time, refer to https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=
rdlmitedu likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I believe you meant JL736. The flight is 4 hrs long (less than 5 hrs), and you should have been given access to the F lounge. Next time, refer to https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=
The OP was not connecting between flights at HKG though. They were connecting between flights at NRT but obviously get F access there ad the departing flight was in F. The agent was correct.

If this had been the reverse itinerary JFK-F-NRT-J-HKG then the rule could have been relied upon to provide access to the F lounge at NRT before the flight to HKG.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by KARFA
The OP was not connecting between flights at HKG though. They were connecting between flights at NRT but obviously get F access there ad the departing flight was in F. The agent was correct.

If this had been the reverse itinerary JFK-F-NRT-J-HKG then the rule could have been relied upon to provide access to the F lounge at NRT before the flight to HKG.
I know the terms are written that way, but I thought the interpretation has always been that one would get the lounge of the long-haul class at the short-haul departing airport (in a situation like HKG-TYO-NYC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.