Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D Inventory Available for 2 Segments But Not as Connection

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, I remember CX's way of doing it as well. That was on a printed ATB ticket, which I had to have a major reroute on whilst at HKG. The ticketing people there used to be very good.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by christep
I know we have a few TAs in this forum. Could one of them confirm that this is indeed no longer possible? My TAs did it for me many times in the past.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
To be clear, I believe that anabolism is talking only about a specific OneWorld RTW product, xONEx fared tickets. On other, regular tickets, yes, this can be done. But I'm fairly certain that it was never a possibility for xONEx tickets in OneWorld.
Keeping in mind the difference between PNRs (reservations) and tickets, in the old manual days, it was possible to have one ticket that had coupons for flights in different PNRs. An agent would create different PNRs, issue a manual ticket, and update the different PNRs to contain the manual ticket number. I'm not sure how it would be done in today's automated world. Ignoring limited-changes PNRs that are automatically issued due to flights on multiple airlines, code-shares, etc., since those are not germane. It might be possible using low-level SABRE or Amadeus. But it's a theoretical question with no practical application.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
Back to the OP's predicament: if it hasn't been sorted out already, wouldn't a wait-list request for "D" on the JFK-MIA sector do the trick? Sure, it's insane that it can't be booked in one call, but to get the seat desired on the flight in question, asking (via the wait-list) should be the surest fire way to communicate the request to the revenue management team/algorithm.
If you're only talking about a way for a reservations agent to request that RM approve a segment that is otherwise unable to be booked, yes, the segments could be waitlisted or simply desired, then the PNR queued to RM, but none of that is a solution, because it can't be ticketed with that segment missing, unless the segment is added as a surface segment, and the ticket would need to be reissued as a re-route if the flight segment gets confirmed. It's also unclear that RM would approve the segments. A better approach is to book the segments with a long enough time in between to break the marriage, or as code-shares if possible (which may only be possible if the ticket is issued by a TA or an airline other than the one that operates the flights in question).
Old May 9, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
FWIW, my first J RTW ticket with what would become One World was in 1990 ticketed with BA exBAH. Repeated in 1991 ex DHA with BA. Alas I no longer have access to the full routings or the rules. But I can state I wasn't worried about maximum segments.
But the rules had to have existed at that time.....

Just wandering
Fred
Old May 9, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
FWIW, my first J RTW ticket with what would become One World was in 1990 ticketed with BA exBAH. Repeated in 1991 ex DHA with BA. Alas I no longer have access to the full routings or the rules. But I can state I wasn't worried about maximum segments.
But the rules had to have existed at that time.....

Just wandering
Fred
Those were the days when QF/BA had a strong relationship and their RTW fares would from time to time offer the option at no extra cost on an F fare of flying Concorde transatlantic (did it twice) or cruising across on the QE2 and the BA Executive Club actually had a presence in Australia and offered rewards like dinner for 6 at Rockpool in its heyday - where's the emoji for old man reminiscing

Sorry to stray so off topic but us old folks also tend to ramble
pandaperth likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Those were the days when QF/BA had a strong relationship and their RTW fares would from time to time offer the option at no extra cost on an F fare of flying Concorde transatlantic (did it twice) or cruising across on the QE2 and the BA Executive Club actually had a presence in Australia and offered rewards like dinner for 6 at Rockpool in its heyday - where's the emoji for old man reminiscing

Sorry to stray so off topic but us old folks also tend to ramble
I also did Concorde on an AONE3 but by then it wasn't zero cost (later fare rules than the ones I posted).

Likewise, apologies for old person reminiscences.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I also did Concorde on an AONE3 ....
Now I'm jealous.

Likewise, apologies for old person reminiscences.
I'm there, too.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
If you're only talking about a way for a reservations agent to request that RM approve a segment that is otherwise unable to be booked, yes, the segments could be waitlisted or simply desired, then the PNR queued to RM, but none of that is a solution, because it can't be ticketed with that segment missing, unless the segment is added as a surface segment, and the ticket would need to be reissued as a re-route if the flight segment gets confirmed. It's also unclear that RM would approve the segments. A better approach is to book the segments with a long enough time in between to break the marriage, or as code-shares if possible (which may only be possible if the ticket is issued by a TA or an airline other than the one that operates the flights in question).
The rules allow the ticket to be issued with a waitlisted reservation or with an open sector, except for the first international sector.

Code:
 ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/TICKETING
   RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR DEPARTURE OF FIRST
   INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
   WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 29 DAYS BEFORE
   DEPARTURE, TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT LEAST 25
   DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
   OPEN RETURNS PERMITTED.
(The absence of the word "confirmed" before "reservations" is significant.)

Whether you will find a TA or a system that can ticket it in that state is a different question. Amadeus can handle open sectors on an eticket. Not sure about Sabre.
christep likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
The rules allow the ticket to be issued with a waitlisted reservation or with an open sector, except for the first international sector.
Good to know, thank you. (In my own experience, no one has been wiling to ticket with an open segment since paper tickets went away.)
Old May 10, 2019, 6:48 pm

Perhaps we can organise a Flyertalk meet for those of us with walking frames - but don't leave it too long
Old May 15, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Keeping in mind the difference between PNRs (reservations) and tickets, in the old manual days, it was possible to have one ticket that had coupons for flights in different PNRs. An agent would create different PNRs, issue a manual ticket, and update the different PNRs to contain the manual ticket number. I'm not sure how it would be done in today's automated world. Ignoring limited-changes PNRs that are automatically issued due to flights on multiple airlines, code-shares, etc., since those are not germane. It might be possible using low-level SABRE or Amadeus. But it's a theoretical question with no practical application.
This is what I was talking about when I made my suggestion. Of course your original ticket has to be issued from one PNR. But then you have your ticket (open or for a random date) and then you make your reservations for the flights you actually want, in one PNR or two. Then you associate the flight coupon with the reservation. Sure it was easier when you had paper flight coupons, but I bet you could still do it the same way with electronic flight coupons. And you can probably even have 2 different airlines book the 2 AA flights and associate the flight coupons with those flights, and neither airline has to be AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.