Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Connecting two separate Oneworld flights

Old Aug 13, 18, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. I have a flight from Jordan (initially Israel) to Bangkok with Royal Jordanian airlines. After I land, I have a flight with Qantas three hours later. Both flights were booked separately and both are in business class.

When I check in for the Royal Jordanian flight will they connect my flights and check my baggage through? I have been told its possible with Oneworld Airlines. Is it the policy that they WILL do this, or is it up to the discretion of each airline? I know with Star Alliance some airlines do this, some don't.

And if they do check my baggage through, does that mean I can just transfer instead of having to leave immigration and pick up my Qantas ticket at the transfer desk? That would make my three hour connection a lot less scary. Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
oneworld is the same as Star Alliance in that some do and some don't. Yes, if they check you and your bags through then you can just do an airside transfer at BKK.

As to whether they do you need to as RJ.
Old Aug 13, 18, 2:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I think your other post on the subject was in the correct forum.

Anecdotally, RJ is pretty good with this (e.g. even to Delta).
Old Aug 13, 18, 8:57 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG, VA Red, HHon Gold, SPG Gold
Only definitely occurs if booked on the one ticket these days
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that even if the bags are checked through, you are not connecting and that the risk of a no show on your onwards ticket is on you. Make sure that you schedule enough time between your two tickets to satisfy your risk tolerance for delays.

As a data point, AA is the only OW carrier which protects across tickets, both AA-AA and AA-OW.
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:43 am

Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
Only definitely occurs if booked on the one ticket these days
oneworld's policy is that if it's in one PNR, even if separate tickets, bags will be checked through.
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
oneworld's policy is that if it's in one PNR, even if separate tickets, bags will be checked through.
I've tried googling PNR but it tells me it is "passenger name record" - I mean, yes, they are both under my name?

I'm definitely interested to see what happens as I'm having a lot of conflicting opinions here and I'll be reporting back!
Old Aug 14, 18, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
I've tried googling PNR but it tells me it is "passenger name record" - I mean, yes, they are both under my name?

I'm definitely interested to see what happens as I'm having a lot of conflicting opinions here and I'll be reporting back!
A PNR is sort of the plain folder that holds the tickets for a trip. A PNR can have more than 1 ticket. Different airlines can have their own PNR for a ticket.

No reports on RJ policy in the main thread on interling baggage on separate PNR's--->Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post

A "PNR" 'number' is basically your "Booking Reference" ... it is used to look up your booking.

In relation to this thread, most oneworld airlines will not through check luggage across separate bookings (or PNR's).

Anecdotally, RJ will do this, but there is no guarantee.